Why does my ROA card have an expiration date of " Indefinite"?

Started by pilotdiaz, May 19, 2010, 08:16:14 PM

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on May 21, 2010, 02:13:42 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on May 21, 2010, 01:51:27 AM
It works. It ain't broke. It's not violating any regs. What's the beef? Your way isn't the only way.

No beef - just trying to figure out why a Form 11 signed by the instructor doesn't suffice.

Objectively, the F11 is no more suitable than the F2a.

Its title: SENIOR MEMBER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM DIRECTOR'S REPORT

Radio Operator training doesn't fall within the purview of CAPR 50-17. Will it work? Sure. I'm not sure anyone considered it when the process was overhauled some years ago. Some folks in the loop might not be as practical as you and me. I'll consider  mentioning it to our admin folks as a simpler method, but don't expect a good reception.

As for the 2a, we use the Remarks section to document course completion, current membership, and test score.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capt Rivera

Hey SarDragon,

For what it's worth we use the CAP F11 also to document the training and pass that to wing. For training we select the "Other" option and note what the training was...

Good luck.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

shorning

Why both "making" a form work?  Why not just an official memorandum signed by the person conducting the training, or the commander of the hosting unit?    I just don't see a need to use a form when there isn't one.  Plus you could have a template letter that just needs to be updated with new info each time.

YMMV...(and I don't really care how wings do it if it works for them)...

Capt Rivera

Quote from: shorning on May 22, 2010, 12:18:56 PM
Why not just an official memorandum signed by the person conducting the training, or the commander of the hosting unit?    I just don't see a need to use a form when there isn't one.  Plus you could have a template letter that just needs to be updated with new info each time.

YMMV...(and I don't really care how wings do it if it works for them)...

We used to do that... it worked as well...

A2Capt, how long was the break. I know over two years but was it 2.5 year, 10 years etc? 

The thing your wing might keep in mind is that yes things change and without recurrent training no one will be up to date. Someone keeping his MRO up to date will continue to learn as things change, someone who lets it expire as I just did will need an update. With the recent changes, I did not already know "how" to do what I saw someone doing as I worked on Mission Staff Assistant. However, I bet I figured it out. The reality is, even if MRO had not expired, I would get training in what is current and this would not require me to go threw B-CUT again.

Regarding B-CUT: If your wing has actually updated B-Cut since your laps of membership, I would recommend doing it again or at least reviewing the slides. If your wing is using one of the extremely old B-CUT slides, then depending on how long you have been away and how involved you were with radios, your memory will probably serve you well enough, just take MRO training seriously and maybe do it before doing MO.

Those are my thoughts FWIW. Welcome back and I'm glad your doing well enough to be back.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

a2capt

What break? I have not stopped since first signing up.

I think you meant the OP..

SarDragon

Let's not mix apples and oranges here.

BCUT and ACUT are courses leading to a Radio Operator Authorization (CAPF 76, ROA). MRO is an ES rating requiring completion of the BCUT. They are distinct, but related, entities. Your understanding of that seems unclear.

Regarding course updates, CAWG manages a review and update about every three years, and new pubs (new 100-1, 100-3, etc) drive more frequent changes.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret