New Squadron Historian

Started by Capt Thompson, January 30, 2015, 02:38:29 PM

Capt Thompson

After a long break from CAP, I've found a new Squadron home, and accepted the position of Historian. I'm fortunate to have found one of the oldest Squadrons in the Wing, with deep roots in the local community.  So far, I've:

• Been introduced by my former CC (by email) to the Wing Historian, and have an appointment to meet with her one on one in March at the Wing Conference.

• Set up an appointment with the curator of the local Historical Museum, which has several scrapbooks of old newspaper clippings specifically on local aviation, which she believes contains several articles about CAP. Also, the museum has a few uniform items that they believe to be from CAP that they would like me to help them ID.

• In talks with the local museum to set up a display about CAP (with the help of the Wing Historian) for the 75th Anniversary next year.

• I've also agreed to help with the Squadron website, so a portion of that will be set up as a Squadron History page.

Other than the things listed, what are some of your tips/best practices for the Historian position?

Anyone from Southeast Michigan on here, that would like to give an oral history of your experiences in CAP? Anyone from the area that has historical photos that I could get copies of, or artifacts that I could photograph, or that they would be willing to possibly lend to a display in the local museum?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Matt

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Private Investigator

Matt, you are off to a good start. One tip is to reach out to to your Unit PAO as well as the Group and Wing PAOs. The stuff the PAO does today is what the Historian needs tomorrow.

The Unit Historical Report, due annually, is something I work on monthly. Some people put it off to the last moment and their Report shows it. The National Historian is on CAP Talk frequently so you can reach out to him.