Main Menu

Aviation Helmets

Started by Rob Sherlin, November 19, 2008, 03:21:39 PM

flyerthom

Quote from: sarmed1 on December 09, 2008, 06:25:46 PM
I remember a regularly published safety bulliten (from when I workd medevac type flight comm...)on all aeromedical crash/near crash incidents (tom can likely name it off for me) but there was one that had two different incidents in, both cockpit bird strikes on either approach or takeoff....

#1 was wearing head set only, blinded & crashed

#2 was wearing a helmet with visor down as per SOP....was able to land without further incident or injury

so I can definetly see the advantage ot at least the front seat guys wearing them....

mk

http://www.concern-network.org/
TC

Rob Sherlin

I realize the cost of aviation helmets (even used ones) and the fact that members are often required to purchase their own equipment. That's why I was looking into other options as far as protecting the melon in the case of a flight emergency. Since there are no requirements for wearing helmets in the planes that CAP flies, then there is nothing stating you must wear a certain type of helmet. Common sense will say that something like a skateboard helmet might not do any good, but something like a motorcycle helmet with an adapted aviation communication system might suffice in preventing more severe injuries to the head than a ball cap would (throwing all statistics out and just going by common sense ).
  If a member wishes to purchase a $600 and up aviation helmet, I suggest them to keep the receipts and take advantage of the tax writeoff for doing so.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116