Main Menu

Oops

Started by JeffDG, November 17, 2010, 08:26:46 PM

DH

If the ELT goes off, does that qualify as a "Find"?

manfredvonrichthofen

If a CAP ELT goes off who looks for it?

DakRadz

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 18, 2010, 04:49:00 PM
Usually what happens first is that your prop hits the ground.  Once that happens your done flying.  The only thing that could save you is if you realized it BEFORE any portion of your aircraft touched.  But then you would still be flying anyway.  Then just tell ATC you were doing a high speed pass and hope they buy it.
Okay, I didn't know if that would happen first. Obviously that kills the flying fun.

So basically they completely did not realize they had forgotten the gear. Ouch.

Next question- anyone know what happens to members after such incidents? CAP-wise? FAA? What actions are taken?

FW

Quote from: DakRadz on November 20, 2010, 12:06:05 AM
Next question- anyone know what happens to members after such incidents? CAP-wise? FAA? What actions are taken?

Well, cadet, the process (this is just a summary) begins with grounding the PIC (pilot in command).  A CAPF 78 is filled out followed by an investigation and completion of a CAPF 79.  The NTSB is notified as the flight ended in a manner not expected.  The NTSB conducts an investigation as well.  The respective wing commander decides what actions will be taken.  The region commander may be involved.  If the pilot is deemed negligent, a money assessment may be made.  Appeals can be made to the national commander thru the national controller. 
Let's just say this "oops" will be a headache for quite a few members.

DakRadz

Thank you Col. At this point it's knowledge for knowledge's sake, but at some point that'll be my motivation to not screw up...

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 17, 2010, 10:48:20 PM
Not that this is the slightest bit funny, but heck anyone for a caption contest! :clap:
"You said this was fixed gear, right? ... What do you mean you meant fixed wing?"

HGjunkie

Caption:

"Guess I should have paid attention to that flashing landing gear light".

"Who's picking up the tab at the bar tonight Johnny?"
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

davidsinn

Quote from: JeffDG on November 17, 2010, 08:26:46 PM

"I don't think that's going to buff out, sir."
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

NCRblues

"you know, we should probably get those breaks check....sounded a bit grindy on the landing....."
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Sgt.Pain

Someone send that to EPICFAIL.COM! lol
C/CMSgt. Pain!

Here Ye, Hear Ye, On this great day I make a declaration! A declaration to LIVE FOREVER, or die trying.

DG

The one guy was getting a Form 5.

The other guy was NY Wing's Chief Check Pilot.

DG

Quote from: Mission Pilot on November 17, 2010, 08:45:31 PM
Why CAP still has RG's is beyond me...

Needed for commercial training and FAA check ride.

Needed for CFI training and FAA check ride.

Complex aircraft.  To say CAP should not fly is a put down.

DG

Quote from: FW on November 18, 2010, 12:39:02 PM
So, I've just been informed this aircraft was "totaled", meaning we lose an aircraft from the fleet.  Oh, well.  just another day at CAP renta plane... ::) :o

Colonel,

These are the same guys who took our N6420T, our Cessna 182 RG.

Can we get it back ASAP before it is lost from the fleet too?

A.Member

Quote from: DG on November 20, 2010, 12:53:03 PM

Our job is not flight training.  So, from that perspective, there is no real need for that airplane in our fleet.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

DG

Quote from: A.Member on November 20, 2010, 03:17:10 PM

Our job is not flight training.  So, from that perspective, there is no real need for that airplane in our fleet.

Wrong.

Have you ever read CAPR 60-1?

I suggest you go back and read it carefully before you make more statements that may make you look foolish.

DakRadz

As a cadet who is interested in flying- I still don't think it is anywhere near CAP's primary jobs.

It is a service which our program offers that can be greatly beneficial compared to commercial flight schools. There are no pilot requirements in which they must provide flight instruction in CAP.

A service which can be used, nothing more or less.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Wrong.

I suggest you go back and read it carefully before you make more statements that may make you look foolish.

You can do all of that in a fixed gear Cessna and the have the member take his FAA check rides in Flying club complex aircraft.

Sell the RG's,  suck up the complex training and FAA check rides in Flying Clubs,  and take an extra hour to get where you're going.

Oh and DG,  respectfully,  lose the attitude.

A.Member

Quote from: DG on November 20, 2010, 05:17:42 PM
Quote from: A.Member on November 20, 2010, 03:17:10 PM

Wrong.

Uh, yeah I have...

There is absolutely nothing in 60-1 to support the need for a RG.  As the clear authority on 60-1, I challenge you to prove otherwise.

Flight training is permitted by regulations...but not required.  That is a significant difference.  The only mission related to flight training are Flight Academies, which are open only to cadets with the objective of providing up to 10 hours of instruction.  However, participation in any flight training activity is at the sole discretion of the pilot.  There is no requirement that any pilot, squadron, group, or wing provide those opportunities.  But we do.  And when we do, it does not require a RG!

Furthermore, and perhaps more to the point, there is no requirement that CAP provide any specific type of aircraft or special equipment for the purpose of flight training.  Most wings do not have a complex aircraft (don't think that has anything to do with my earlier point by chance, do you?!).  I'm also not aware of any multi-engine or turbine aircraft.  However, they're not prohibited by the regulations.   So, what are the poor saps looking for those type ratings to do?!  Perhaps by your reasoning we need those type of aircraft as well.

My statement is certainly no more foolish than yours.   Perhaps you need to heed more of your own advice, DG.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

NIN

Welcome to CAP-Talk, where a photo of a bent plane can turn from a caption contest into the Urinary Olympics in less than a page.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JoeTomasone

"It's supposed to be a touch and GO, Lieutenant...."

DakRadz

Quote from: JoeTomasone on November 21, 2010, 01:32:49 AM
"It's supposed to be a touch and GO, Lieutenant...."
Way to set me off coughing and hacking, sir....  ;D