Main Menu

Oops

Started by JeffDG, November 17, 2010, 08:26:46 PM

JeffDG

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 17, 2010, 10:48:20 PM
Not that this is the slightest bit funny, but heck anyone for a caption contest! :clap:

The "U" in GUMPS, that's underbelly, right?

exFlight Officer

Quote from: DakRadz on November 18, 2010, 12:55:07 AM
Quote from: Flight Officer on November 18, 2010, 12:47:39 AM
I wonder what happened to the two pilots after the investigation ended ...

If I'm reading the linky right, the incident occurred yesterday. So, I doubt it is over. Definitely going to be rough, though... This extends far beyond just CAP.

EDIT: Yep, happened in the afternoon of Tuesday the 16th.

I must have missed the date of the event. Thanks for correcting me. I'm glad no one was injured.

a2capt

Gear, Undercarriage, Main Wheels, Put the Gear Down- Stupid!

.. the rest doesn't really matter if the little wheels are not out of their hiding spots. ;)

Eclipse

Another aircraft with incorrect insignia in a mishap (which, BTW, is the vehicular equivalent of a uniform thread).

"That Others May Zoom"

exFlight Officer

Quote from: Eclipse on November 18, 2010, 01:50:38 AM
Another aircraft with incorrect insignia in a mishap (which, BTW, is the vehicular equivalent of a uniform thread).

Which insignia are incorrect on the aircraft ?

Eclipse

USAF/Aux was supposed to be removed a long time ago and the door badges are also two-revs old and officially sundowned as of earlier this year.

"That Others May Zoom"

exFlight Officer

Thanks for educating me, Eclipse!  I had a liking to the door badges, darn!

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on November 18, 2010, 01:50:38 AM

Another accident caused by the Identity Crisis.

Now for the likely quote from the PIC: "We are in so...much...trouble."

DakRadz

Now, I'm no pilot, so that's why I'm curious (I want to be a pilot)- would there be any way to recover from this at all?
I'm not going to try and ask questions like I know what I'm talking about (okay, plus my Google-fu is weak right now ;)), so I'll just see if anyone deigns to answer.

SilverEagle2

Quote from: Eclipse on November 18, 2010, 02:04:13 AM
USAF/Aux was supposed to be removed a long time ago and the door badges are also two-revs old and officially sundowned as of earlier this year.

According to CAPR 66-1 para 10b...it is in compliance as long as it does not need to be repainted. Once repainting is needed, it would then have to get up to date.

Now...if they repair and repaint the fuse, I would argue the time has come to update.

Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

FW

So, I've just been informed this aircraft was "totaled", meaning we lose an aircraft from the fleet.  Oh, well.  just another day at CAP renta plane... ::) :o

sparks

Let's hope the insurance policy for the mechanic who had the accident pays for the "totaled" aircraft. The accident aircraft looked like an older 172 so the recovered value woudn't pay for a replacement. If CAP receives anything, the check could pay for avionics upgrades to the rest of the fleet such as the Aspen DG/HSI retrofits.

a2capt

What a waste. At least "totaled" doesn't necessarily mean it won't fly again. Just not for CAP. Gear up landed high wing Cessna's usually fare very well and come back to flight with an engine overhaul. But here's two bozos who just cost their unit an aircraft, and perhaps the ability to have another one for quite some time.

Sorry, but there's no excuse aside from mechanical got a gear up landing, and even then you have windows and ridiculously wide gear, you can see it extended by barely even trying.

Top Dawg

Not that this is the slightest bit funny, but heck anyone for a caption contest! :clap:

Primer LOCKED
Master Switch ON
Magnetos on BOTH
Fuel Quantity OK
Engine Gauges GREEN
Carb Air HOT
Mixture RICH
Fuel Valve ON
Brake Pressure OK
Seatbelts, doors, & windows
Obtain Landing Clearance

"Oh crap... what did I forget this time? Where'd that stupid pamphlet g..."
"You are in so much trouble"
C/Capt Hillman
Cadet Commander,  GA-153

mdickinson

Quote from: sparks on November 18, 2010, 02:43:17 PM
Let's hope the insurance policy for the mechanic who had the accident pays for the "totaled" aircraft.
What mechanic? No mechanic had an accident here. A pilot and a flight instructor had the accident during dual instruction.

Quote from: sparks on November 18, 2010, 02:43:17 PM
The accident aircraft looked like an older 172 so the recovered value woudn't pay for a replacement.

What 172?  The accident aircraft is a 1978 182RG.  Based on a cursory search of for-sale ads for other 1978 182RGs, it was probably worth between $70,000 and $95,000.  The necessary engine inspection and repair of the minor scraping damage typical of a gear-up such as this probably runs between $25,000 - $30,000.

A.Member

"You, sir, are outta here!"

PIC:  "Sorry, we were distracted by this buzzing sound inside the cockpit and forgot to put the gear down"
FAA:  "That buzzing was the gear up warning horn!"

and last but not least...

"Hey, at least you remembered to put the flaps down"

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

jeders

"Now there's yer problem."

"I gotta go take a leak, how 'bout you talk to the FAA guy comin' over."

"Well, I guess it's time to repaint."

I do love the WMIRS comment about this aircraft though, simply "damage."
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Flying Pig

Quote from: DakRadz on November 18, 2010, 11:16:03 AM
Now, I'm no pilot, so that's why I'm curious (I want to be a pilot)- would there be any way to recover from this at all?
I'm not going to try and ask questions like I know what I'm talking about (okay, plus my Google-fu is weak right now ;)), so I'll just see if anyone deigns to answer.

As in an emergency procedure?  No.  Just keep on the rudder and stay on centerline or try and get over to the grass as soon as possible if there is any to minimize further damage, but you usually stop pretty quick.
Usually what happens first is that your prop hits the ground.  Once that happens your done flying.  The only thing that could save you is if you realized it BEFORE any portion of your aircraft touched.  But then you would still be flying anyway.  Then just tell ATC you were doing a high speed pass and hope they buy it.

aekuhns

Saw this on youtube a while back, this is similar to what they experienced for those who wonder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYcMcf-o3Zs

FW

Quote from: mdickinson on November 18, 2010, 03:35:55 PM
What 172?  The accident aircraft is a 1978 182RG.  Based on a cursory search of for-sale ads for other 1978 182RGs, it was probably worth between $70,000 and $95,000.  The necessary engine inspection and repair of the minor scraping damage typical of a gear-up such as this probably runs between $25,000 - $30,000.

The est. repairs can (and will) be much higher if there is major damage to the fuselage.  If the aircraft was "folded", it is not worth the effort to repair.