Main Menu

Oops

Started by JeffDG, November 17, 2010, 08:26:46 PM

JeffDG

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=82696
QuoteThe aircraft was performing touch-and-go landings when the pilots forgot to extend the landing gear. No injuries reported but aircraft substantially damaged in the belly landing.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

What's that noise?

Do you mean that infernal beeping or the infernal scraping...

Quote: Those who have and those who will...

JeffDG

Quote from: Mission Pilot on November 17, 2010, 08:30:24 PM
What's that noise?

Do you mean that infernal beeping or the infernal scraping...

Quote: Those who have and those who will...

OK...on this next one, let's demonstrate what the gear warning horn sounds like...

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

More info.. http://thedailynewsonline.com/news/article_8a8cb468-f1bc-11df-b808-001cc4c002e0.html

Note that this is not a 2004 as the RG's last manufacture year was 1986.

This is a great Audio Gear Warning advisory that I have on my RG: http://www.p2inc.com/audioadvisory.asp

FW

There is a big difference between landing gear which won't extend vs. landing gear which a pilot won't extend....

And another $30k or so which will be used for repairs instead of training. :(

JeffDG

QuoteCessna hit the runway and skidded 546 feet down the runway

Impressive short-field performance on those RGs

(And I only joke because the story said there were no injuries...metal can be fixed)

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Why CAP still has RG's is beyond me...

JeffDG

Quote from: Mission Pilot on November 17, 2010, 08:45:31 PM
Why CAP still has RG's is beyond me...

They make great photo platforms (only have to keep the strut out of the shot, not the wheels), and for any kind of transport mission, they're faster than the welded gear.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

IMHO, the extra 20 kts is just not worth the 50K plus repair.

Flying Pig

Not that this is the slightest bit funny, but heck anyone for a caption contest! :clap:

tsrup

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 17, 2010, 10:48:20 PM
Not that this is the slightest bit funny, but heck anyone for a caption contest! :clap:

"are you sure there wasn't another way to reach those fuel caps?"
Paramedic
hang-around.

manfredvonrichthofen

I can't do it Captain! I just can't do it!

DakRadz

"None of the other -172s had missing landing gear!"

Sgt.Pain

Hahaha! Wow. One of our pilots recently took off and hit some turbulence, breaking the landing struts when he bounced off the runway.
C/CMSgt. Pain!

Here Ye, Hear Ye, On this great day I make a declaration! A declaration to LIVE FOREVER, or die trying.

NIN

"The Civil Air Patrol searchers located their objective at the end of a 546 foot long scrape mark on RWY 06.."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: Mission Pilot on November 17, 2010, 08:39:41 PM
This is a great Audio Gear Warning advisory that I have on my RG: http://www.p2inc.com/audioadvisory.asp

I suppose $1600 is cheaper than the sudden stoppage inspection, the new prop, associated sheetmetal work, and two new pairs of skivvies, but holy cow, thats one expensive piece of gear.

(the device thats packed into my reserve parachute that activates it at 750 ft when I'm still tooling along at freefall speeds is about $1250, and appears to be somewhat less complex/feature laden than this device, but still...)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

It was pricey, but if you knew me :)

NIN

Quote from: Mission Pilot on November 18, 2010, 12:29:37 AM
It was pricey, but if you knew me :)

If you're anything like me, that $1600 has paid for itself several times over. :)

I used to love the AF towers saying "Blackcat 13, in sight, check gear down, cleared to land."

We'd always reply "Copy in sight, gear down and welded, cleared to land for Blackcat 13.."

They'd do it no matter what you were flying. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

exFlight Officer

I wonder what happened to the two pilots after the investigation ended ...

DakRadz

Quote from: Flight Officer on November 18, 2010, 12:47:39 AM
I wonder what happened to the two pilots after the investigation ended ...

If I'm reading the linky right, the incident occurred yesterday. So, I doubt it is over. Definitely going to be rough, though... This extends far beyond just CAP.

EDIT: Yep, happened in the afternoon of Tuesday the 16th.