Main Menu

Thoughts on this headset?

Started by xray328, March 01, 2019, 04:11:31 PM

xray328

I'm about to buy this for my (student pilot) daughter, seems to have good reviews but I thought I'd check here first...

https://www.amazon.com/KORE-AVIATION-KA-1-Aviation-Carrying/dp/B00Y5HLLDY

Thanks!

etodd

Quote from: xray328 on March 01, 2019, 04:11:31 PM
I'm about to buy this for my (student pilot) daughter, seems to have good reviews but I thought I'd check here first...

https://www.amazon.com/KORE-AVIATION-KA-1-Aviation-Carrying/dp/B00Y5HLLDY

Thanks!

Never heard of KORE.  But if you need a beginner, basic headset at a good price, I do have a couple of these that I use for passengers. They work fine.

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/asa-airclassics-hs-1a-headset.html

As she progresses, she can upgrade one day, and keep this for her passenger.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

TheSkyHornet

I haven't used KORE myself, but I've heard it's a good budget-buy headset. I've heard that it's not the greatest for endurance (i.e., cross-country flying...folded-ear syndrome).

I have two David Clark H10-20s that I've had since circa-2006 that still perform like new today. So it might just be worth the investment to buy the more expensive headset which will last (if taken care of) and be more comfortable on longer flights.

Eclipse

Seems to have good reviews, in that price range you should also look at ruggedheadsets.com

I've been happy with my RA-200

"That Others May Zoom"

GZCP31

I have the KORE AVIATION KA-1 headset. It works well. I have not used it for long durations yet. Most of my sorties have been under three hours. Sound is good. Microphone has decent pickup. noise suppression   is good also. I used it for hearing protection in a Chinook at encampment also. Worked great. Great entry level headset.
Former OK Wing DCL/DCA Mid 90s, Rejoined after 17 years out.
Capt. Communications-Master
Squadron Deputy Commander, Emergency Services Training Officer,  Professional Development Officer,  Administration Officer, Personnel Officer, Communications Officer and Aerospace Education Officer, Texas Wing DOU

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on March 01, 2019, 04:41:04 PM
Seems to have good reviews, in that price range you should also look at ruggedheadsets.com

I've been happy with my RA-200

I'm not sure that RA-200 isn't exactly the same as the ASA.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Briank

I bought a couple of these: https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/sigtronics-s-20-headset.html for my occasional passengers.  They're actually quite nice.  I was very impressed given the budget price.  Sometimes I just grab one of those if I'm going to ride with someone else instead of dragging along my whole flight kit that contains my DCs.

jeders

Quote from: Briank on March 01, 2019, 06:58:04 PM
I bought a couple of these: https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/sigtronics-s-20-headset.html for my occasional passengers.  They're actually quite nice.  I was very impressed given the budget price.  Sometimes I just grab one of those if I'm going to ride with someone else instead of dragging along my whole flight kit that contains my DCs.

My dad bought two of those when he first started flying more than 25 years ago. I latched onto one of them 15 years ago when I started doing aircrew stuff and it served me well for many years. I only upgraded to an ANR headset after I got my license, and my old S-20 is now back to being for passengers. The only thing we've had to replace is the little foam mic cover.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

PHall

To me, the "Gold Standard" for headsets are David Clark headsets. The bloody things are bullet proof.
Used them in the Air Force for over 25 years with very few problems.
Yes they are expensive, but you get what you pay for. And they will last you for a long, long time.

Cliff_Chambliss

Check Gulf Coast Avionics or Pacific Coast Avionics.  They offer several different lines but more important when things break their customer service is top notch.  Years ago I bought a portable intercom and two headsets from them.  After 5 years one of the ear cups in one of the headsets quit working.  I asked Gulf Coast for the cost of repair and sent the headset in.  I got back a new unit at no cost.  Later, after about 10 years of use by students, kids, grandkids (they would raid my flight bag and use the headsets to listen to their stereos), both had problems so I sent them back.  This time Gulf Coast said those units had been discontinued and would cost more to repair than they were worth.  They then made me a very generous offer on trade on two units. 
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

audiododd

Quote from: jeders on March 01, 2019, 07:36:25 PM
Quote from: Briank on March 01, 2019, 06:58:04 PM

My dad bought two of those when he first started flying more than 25 years ago. I latched onto one of them 15 years ago when I started doing aircrew stuff and it served me well for many years. I only upgraded to an ANR headset after I got my license, and my old S-20 is now back to being for passengers. The only thing we've had to replace is the little foam mic cover.

Similar here.  I got an S-20 for Christmas after I started flight lessons in 1986.  They are still going strong and they are my main passenger headset. 
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

xray328

Quote from: PHall on March 02, 2019, 02:04:05 AM
To me, the "Gold Standard" for headsets are David Clark headsets. The bloody things are bullet proof.
Yes they are expensive, but you get what you pay for. And they will last you for a long, long time.

Thoughts on these?

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/david-clark-h10-13-4-headset.html

Would you suggest mono or stereo?

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: xray328 on March 15, 2019, 02:20:48 PM
Quote from: PHall on March 02, 2019, 02:04:05 AM

Thoughts on these?

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/david-clark-h10-13-4-headset.html

Would you suggest mono or stereo?

Mono or Stereo depends on preference. I like the stereo b/c then it blocks out the engine noise much better from my experience.
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on March 15, 2019, 02:42:39 PM
Mono or Stereo depends on preference. I like the stereo b/c then it blocks out the engine noise much better from my experience.

Stereo in this context doesn't mean "do I get audio in both ears"; it's whether you can get different audio in each ear. There are some advanced audio panels that can do e.g. 3D sound positioning for the different COMs in the aircraft.

I can't really think of any reason why you'd need a stereo headset for the CAP mission, and a stereo headset would normally have to be switched to mono operation in that case. If you're going to be flying another aircraft, you probably already know whether it can make use of a stereo headset.

etodd

Stereo works best when I have my iPhone plugged into my Zulu 2, for both making calls, and most importantly for great sounding stereo music on long cross countries. :)

(Yes, it auto-mutes with radio calls.)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on March 15, 2019, 04:21:51 PM
I can't really think of any reason why you'd need a stereo headset for the CAP mission,

Assuming the adapter is available...

A/C radio in one ear, GT radio in the other.

"That Others May Zoom"

xray328

Thanks.  I'm not sure if she'll progress to become a CAP mission Pilot.  Long term hobby or professional pilot perhaps.  So from what I'm understanding,  stereo can always revert to mono and it's nice to have stereo if the aircraft supports it in addition to listening to music etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Briank

Got a couple sets of the DC's with stereo.  Other than long trips where we fired up the XM radio or had a movie on a phone playing it was totally unnecessary.  In theory it could be used for useful things, but in practice I never found it of actual benefit.

baronet68

My only recommendation is to invest in Active Noise Reduction (ANR).  It makes a huge difference and there are affordable headsets, like the DRE-4001, which relieve the fatigue of engine noise... you don't even realize how bad that noise is until you turn the ANR on/off a few times.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Briank

Quote from: baronet68 on March 16, 2019, 11:49:27 PM
My only recommendation is to invest in Active Noise Reduction (ANR).  It makes a huge difference and there are affordable headsets, like the DRE-4001, which relieve the fatigue of engine noise... you don't even realize how bad that noise is until you turn the ANR on/off a few times.

ANR is a try before you buy thing.  It's a love it or hate it and you won't know until you try it.  When I use ANR headsets I hear this really high pitched whistle that is extremely annoying, so I stick to passive.