Squadron commander waiving CPFT requirements

Started by abysmal, June 14, 2005, 12:08:25 AM

abysmal

Copied from the Knowledgebase

Question
  Can a squadron commander waive PT requirements for achievements without supporting documentation such as doctor's certificate,etc.? If so how often can they be waived?

Answer
  Squadron commanders may determine a cadet to be temporarily restricted from parts or all of the CPFT due to a condition or injury of a temporary nature and place the cadet in Category II - Temporarily Restricted under the guidelines and restrictions in CAPP 52-18 without a doctor's certification. Temporary conditions include broken bones, post-operative recovery, obesity, and illness. Cadets normally will not exceed six months in this category without reevaluation. Cadets temporarily restricted from a portion of the CPFT are still required to complete and pass the events they are not restricted from. Cadets in this category will not attempt the CPFT required for the Wright Brothers, Mitchell, Earhart, or Eaker Awards, or be administered the Spaatz examination until they return to Category I or are determined by a physician to meet the Category III or IV conditions listed below.

The intent of this temporary restriction is to allow the cadet to continue to progress in the program, excepting the milestone awards, not to avoid the physical fitness requirements, and commanders are expected to monitor requests for temporary waivers carefully to ensure the integrity of the program. An alternative course for a minor illness such as a cold or sinus inflection would be to reschedule testing the following week. Placement in Category III or IV does require a physician's certification. See Attachment 1 in CAPP 52-18.

New: Policy Letter – Revision to the Cadet Physical Fitness Test Standards 18 February 2005

See CAPP 52-18, Cadet Physical Fitness Program

PHYSICAL FITNESS CATEGORIES
While we want our cadets to perform to their maximum potential, leaders must be aware of the limitations some cadets have and how it affects their performance. Upon joining CAP, each cadet will initially be assigned to one of the physical fitness categories described below, depending on the information included on the CAPF 15, Application for Cadet Membership. Use of these categories is mandated by CAPR 52-16, Cadet Program Management.

Category I - Unrestricted. A cadet in this category is determined to be in good health and may participate in the physical fitness program without restriction.

Category II - Temporarily Restricted. A cadet in this category is determined by the squadron commander to be temporarily restricted from parts or all of the CPFT due to a condition or injury of a temporary nature. Temporary conditions include broken bones, post-operative recovery, obesity, and illness. Cadets normally will not exceed six months in this category without reevaluation. Cadets temporarily restricted from a portion of the CPFT are still required to complete and pass the events they are not restricted from. Cadets in this category will not attempt the CPFT required for the Wright Brothers, Mitchell, Earhart, or Eaker Awards, or be administered the Spaatz examination until they return to Category I or are determined by a physician to meet the Category III or IV conditions listed below.

Category III – Partially Restricted. A cadet in this category is determined to be indefinitely or permanently restricted from a portion of the cadet physical fitness program due to a medical condition or injury chronic or permanent in nature as certified by a physician. Cadets are still required to complete and pass the CPFT events they are not restricted from. A cadet placed in Category III will attach a certification of the medical limitation from a physician with an endorsement from the squadron commander to the CAPF 52-1, 52-2, 52-3, 52-4, or Spaatz examination when submitted to national headquarters. Use of the CPFT waiver request included in CAPP 52-18 is suggested.

Category IV- Indefinitely Restricted. A cadet in Category IV is determined to be indefinitely or permanently restricted from participation in the entire physical fitness program due to a medical condition or injury of a permanent nature as certified by a physician. Cadets in this category are exempt from all CPFT requirements indefinitely. A cadet placed in Category IV will attach a certification of the medical limitation from a physician with an endorsement from the squadron commander to the CAPF 52-1, 52-2, 52-3, 52-4, or Spaatz examination when submitted to national headquarters. Use of the CPFT waiver request included in CAPP 52-18 is suggested.

Answer 532: Cadet Physical Fitness Test requirements Click Here

2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

whatevah

don'tcha just love how they won't just answer a simple question, but throw a couple thousand words from regs at you? :)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

CMetzger42

Quote from: whatevah on June 16, 2005, 02:09:44 AM
don'tcha just love how they won't just answer a simple question, but throw a couple thousand words from regs at you? :)
It's not a simple question. That's like asking for a one-sentence answer to "how do I do my taxes?"

abysmal

Quote from: whatevah on June 16, 2005, 02:09:44 AM

What kills me is that if one of your cadets is just plain FAT, you can waive PT.
Thats ludicrous.
That would be the cadet that NEEDS THE PT more than anyone else.
How on earth does it serve the cadet to waive the PT requirements because he/she is overweight ?

The downward spiral in standards continues to be disturbing to me.

arajca

The commander can waive the CPFT, but only until they need to take a milestone. Unless they can get a physician to agree that they need to be exempt from the CPFT.

abysmal

I understand that.
It just bothers me that we would treat childhood obesity as a "condition" allowing for waiving of the PT test.

It just seems a bit to PC for me.

nfx500

Okay, just go ahead and administer the test and take the liability into your own hands.

The easiest way for CAP to get in trouble is disobeying our own regs and opening ourselves up for a lawsuit.

Not every cadet can look like a little Tony Nelson.

John
LtCol John J. Higgins, Jr.

16 years a Sq Cmdr, 3 yrs a Group Cmdr, 2.5 years Wing Dir of CP, Other wing/reg staff positions

Currently taking a break

Pylon

Quote from: nfx500 on August 09, 2005, 04:26:50 AM
Okay, just go ahead and administer the test and take the liability into your own hands.

The easiest way for CAP to get in trouble is disobeying our own regs and opening ourselves up for a lawsuit.

Not every cadet can look like a little Tony Nelson.

John

...and we shouldn't expect every cadet to be slim, trim, and beautiful.  However, as one of the main components of the Cadet Program, we should be promoting some sort of healthy exercise regimin for every cadet, including those who are thin, a tad overweight, or morbidly obese.

We're not doing anything for them by simply saying, "Fine.  You don't have to do PT."  The whole idea of CAP having PT is to encourage a life-long habit of physical health.  This doesn't necessarily mean they need to lose pounds, but they should be engaging in whatever physical activity of which they are capable, so as to promote as much health as they can.  For example, an obese cadet exercising may not lose many pounds, but he or she could be helping their heart with cardio exercises they are capable of doing.

I don't like the total exemption from PT idea for injuries or conditions which only limit.  Certainly there are individuals who are pretty much not capable of doing most anything, but there are those who could get be in another category and still do something else to encourage healthy habits and physical fitness of some sort.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

Quote from: Pylon on August 09, 2005, 12:46:57 PMI don't like the total exemption from PT idea for injuries or conditions which only limit.  Certainly there are individuals who are pretty much not capable of doing most anything, but there are those who could get be in another category and still do something else to encourage healthy habits and physical fitness of some sort.

The only long term PT waivers I've seen are from a doctor. What my unit has done is have the cadet/parent show/tell the doc what the CPFT consists of. I had a cadet who was bumming because they had a condition that prevented them from running, but didn't know about waivers. I explained to them that they need to take a copy of the CPFT description to their doc and have the doc evaluate them as to what parts they could or could not do. The doc then gave them a letter that is in their file. It is a permenent waiver of the running portion. The cadet still has to do the rest of the CPFT. They usually do all the other events - even though they could skip one.

CMetzger42

Quote from: PylonWe're not doing anything for them by simply saying, "Fine.  You don't have to do PT."

Who said we should exempt them from all PT? We're just talking about the test. They should still try to participate in PT activities, but they should only be pushed to where they are making progress for themselves, even if it means they can't pass Curry standards. At least they're doing something. You just have to be careful that they aren't being pushed too hard.