Main Menu

Membership Cards

Started by DogCollar, February 02, 2010, 01:20:30 PM

Spartan

NHQ has sent me three unsolicited membership cards in as many months, all of them listing me as a SM.  It would be funny if people weren't having problems getting an updated ID card in a timely manner.

RiverAux

Apparently you've been demoted.

Spartan

Demoted? Oh I hope not.  I can't afford the pay cut.

Strick

Got a new one yesterday, I was demoted from Major major to just major :'(  Now I have to remove the double bottle caps of my BDU's on each collar >:D
[darn]atio memoriae

SarDragon

Quote from: Strick on February 16, 2010, 07:12:04 PM
Got a new one yesterday, I was demoted from Major major to just major :'(  Now I have to remove the double bottle caps of my BDU's on each collar >:D

Wow. That's a major malfunction.  >:D >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

EMT-83

Promoted 1 February, new card arrived today (with correct name and grade). It would appear that whatever backlog existed is cleared. If anyone's been waiting for a while, a call to NHQ might be in order.

Thrashed

My card came today, but it says 2Lt.  I made Capt last October!?

Save the triangle thingy

Strick

Quote from: Thrash on February 17, 2010, 06:25:44 PM

KINDA reminds me of office space, no one sent Milton a Memo
[darn]atio memoriae

Spartan

excuse me *inaudible mumble* but, um *inaudible mumble* you um, *inaudible mumble* you have my stapler.

I will never understand what is so hard about sending accurate membership cards when they're needed.  I must not see enough of the big picture.

Strick

I think when they switched vendors there was a sanfu with the previous orders from national so tthey are playing catch up and dont know where the last vendor left off.  Only my guess.......
[darn]atio memoriae

Spike

Quote from: Thrash on February 17, 2010, 06:25:44 PM

Two members in the Squadron had the same thing happen.

Are the cards produced in-house or by a contractor??

Cecil DP

they're made by a contractor. I received a new card about a week ago stating that a contractor may have sent out a bad batch and here was a replacement.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Spike

^ Thank you.  I am just wondering what else is farmed out from NHQ.  I remember that the older blue and white membership cards that went away about 1997 were made at the HQ itself.

This brings up the issue of cost and issuance of real "govt ID Cards".  If it costs $5.00 per card now, how much more could it cost to have CAC or some other form of Govt accepted ID card produced. 

(I have no idea what it costs to print and mail out CAP membership cards now, if anyone does, that would be interesting to know) 

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Spike on February 17, 2010, 08:39:29 PM
If it costs $5.00 per card now, how much more could it cost to have CAC or some other form of Govt accepted ID card produced.

I really don't see any benefit to having a membership card, other than base access for a limited number of our members.  Seriously, when was the last time you had to produce your membership card?  I think it has literally been about 4 years since I've had to show it to someone and it has certainly been reduced since the creation of e-services.

I'm not advocating getting rid of them completely, but at least just removing the grade off them so that we aren't dumping $100K per year into the cost of replacement cards/lost cards, etc. 

Just have it say "SENIOR" or "OFFICER" on it and call it a day.  Lose it?  Shell out a few bucks to get your replacement.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davidsinn

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 18, 2010, 12:17:37 AM
Quote from: Spike on February 17, 2010, 08:39:29 PM
If it costs $5.00 per card now, how much more could it cost to have CAC or some other form of Govt accepted ID card produced.

I really don't see any benefit to having a membership card, other than base access for a limited number of our members.  Seriously, when was the last time you had to produce your membership card?  I think it has literally been about 4 years since I've had to show it to someone and it has certainly been reduced since the creation of e-services.

I'm not advocating getting rid of them completely, but at least just removing the grade off them so that we aren't dumping $100K per year into the cost of replacement cards/lost cards, etc. 

Just have it say "SENIOR" or "OFFICER" on it and call it a day.  Lose it?  Shell out a few bucks to get your replacement.

They expire when your membership expires so they have to send a new one when that happens. For most people that's every year.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jimmydeanno

Quote from: davidsinn on February 18, 2010, 11:04:14 AM
They expire when your membership expires so they have to send a new one when that happens. For most people that's every year.

Right, but assume the best scenario possible.  Even if they were $1.00-$2.00 each, including the shipping, we're shelling out about $60,000-$120,000/year for a stupid plastic card that nobody even needs.  Then factor in lost and promotion cards and it's probably another 5K cards.

Seems to me that 5-10% of our membership dues being spent on something as mundane as membership cards is rather absurd...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Strick

I am for picture ID cards, HQ could buy the equipment for about 5 grand give or take.  Upload your photo and they could send you the card.  At the Police Department and VFD we used the system because it was a heck of alot cheaper than going with the contractor. It not rocket science these days.
[darn]atio memoriae

NC Hokie

Quote from: Strick on February 18, 2010, 07:00:44 PM
I am for picture ID cards, HQ could buy the equipment for about 5 grand give or take.  Upload your photo and they could send you the card.  At the Police Department and VFD we used the system because it was a heck of alot cheaper than going with the contractor. It not rocket science these days.

I thought as well, but then realized that 50,000 cards per year equals just over 200 cards per work day, all of which have to be printed, inserted into a mailer, and sorted for the post office.  That doesn't even include the additional cards that have to be made each time a member promotes or requests a replacement.  Those numbers probably require a bit more than $5,000.00 worth of equipment, not to mention the additional payroll required for the person (or people) required to do the work.

All in all, NHQ is probably getting a better deal outsourcing this than they would by trying to do it in house.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

RiverAux

There is no reason that membership has to only be for one year.  Make it 2 years and cut the number of cards issued in half. 

FW

Membership can currently be renewed for up to a 3 year period.  Membership cards are set to the expiration date you are paid up for.  This saves some money.  The problem right now is the equipment NHQ uses to print the membership cards requires a second plastic blank to make.  Until they get the new system running, they must use the old system (it's still cheaper than outsourcing).  The new system will allow for automatic annual renewal, printing of membership cards on special paper and, the savings of big bucks.  Picture cards will be an option when renewing.  I was told the new system will be running by 1 Jan 2011.