Main Menu

Membership Cards

Started by DogCollar, February 02, 2010, 01:20:30 PM

DogCollar

I seem to recall the NHQ was having some problems with producing membership cards a little while back.  Does anyone know if that problem has been rectified.  I was promoted on 15 January, but I have not yet received my new card reflecting my new grade.

Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: DogCollar on February 02, 2010, 01:20:30 PM
I seem to recall the NHQ was having some problems with producing membership cards a little while back.  Does anyone know if that problem has been rectified.  I was promoted on 15 January, but I have not yet received my new card reflecting my new grade.

It must be fixed since I renewed towards the end of December, and just received my new membership card yesterday.  There might be a backlog still.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Thrashed

I've been waiting since October.

Save the triangle thingy

Strick

I recived my new card and it states that I am a Maj Maj, must be a new grade, Two bottle caps per shoulder :D.  They must have a new vendor making the things.
[darn]atio memoriae

Pylon

Or maybe they mean, among CAP Majors, you're a major Major.   ;)

Cecil DP

Quote from: Strick on February 02, 2010, 02:08:27 PM
I recived my new card and it states that I am a Maj Maj, must be a new grade, Two bottle caps per shoulder :D .  They must have a new vendor making the things.

It's Catch 22!
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Strick

I am not sweating it, I always carry the picture ID.  I did notice that the new cards are not as shiny as the old ones.  I have been telling memebers to go print out the paper I.D for the mean time. Unfourtanely at the main gate of any base that requires your state DL and CAP I.D you might get a funny look from the young man or lady with the nice automatic weapon.
[darn]atio memoriae

Capt_Redfox30

I promoted in September and Renewed in October and still haven't received anything. 
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Larry Mangum

Renewed in mid January, received new card last week.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

WT

Renewed end of December, also ordered picture IDs at the same time.  Received picture IDs two weeks ago, but still have not receievd normal ID card from the renewal.

Dragon 3-2

renewed in December, got my new card....but it has CADET as the rank lol.... just a little reminder of times passed :)

Captain  Steven Smith
Aerospace Education Officer
NJ-102 Plainfield Red Falcons
Eaker #2089
2009 NJWG / NER Dragon Drill Team

SarDragon

Are you listed as a Cadet or SM in eServices?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Dragon 3-2

im a senior member, but i renewed as a cadet back in december, and my card got to me about a week before i corssed over

Captain  Steven Smith
Aerospace Education Officer
NJ-102 Plainfield Red Falcons
Eaker #2089
2009 NJWG / NER Dragon Drill Team

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Dragon 3-2 on February 03, 2010, 03:48:23 AM
renewed in December, got my new card....but it has CADET as the rank lol.... just a little reminder of times passed :)

Frame it; periodically you will want to gaze at it longingly as you seek to return to the good 'ol days.  :)

Tubacap

I remember hearing some chat about making a photo id the only type of id for senior members.  Did this proposal go anywhere?  I didn't see it on the upcoming BoG meeting agenda.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

brasda91

Quote from: Tubacap on February 05, 2010, 11:47:03 PM
I remember hearing some chat about making a photo id the only type of id for senior members.  Did this proposal go anywhere?  I didn't see it on the upcoming BoG meeting agenda.

I would like to see the option to renew with the photo ID, instead of having to purchase it seperately.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Pylon

Quote from: brasda91 on February 07, 2010, 10:03:10 AM
I would like to see the option to renew with the photo ID, instead of having to purchase it seperately.

+1!  It would also save NHQ money.  If I'm going to be ordering a photo ID anyways, save the cost of making me a standard membership card and mailing it to me.  Plus, if I could just add the $4 at the time I renew my membership, it might also save NHQ a few more pennies each time consolidating two credit card transaction fees into one.

I recommended this over a year ago and was told that NHQ was, at that time, implementing a new membership management system on their backend, and they planned on including this change when they rolled that out.  Anybody know if that system switch happened?  If so, why didn't they tighten up the renewals/ID card process?   If not, what's the delay?

IceNine

Quote from: brasda91 on February 07, 2010, 10:03:10 AM
Quote from: Tubacap on February 05, 2010, 11:47:03 PM

Shouldn't be an option.  It should be part of our dues, and they should be using our 55,000+ buying power to get a better quality vendor to produce the cards for less.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Capt Rivera

Quote from: IceNine on February 07, 2010, 06:39:38 PM
Shouldn't be an option.  It should be part of our dues, and they should be using our 55,000+ buying power to get a better quality vendor to produce the cards for less.

Agree 100%. A few years ago when we had this discussion I did some research. For a relatively small investment CAP could have a ID printer or 2 in house where we could make cards with varying levels of features. (High Quality, front and back, color, hologram, Chips, etc...) Return on Investment (ROI) was not long. It would ultimately provide a higher quality ID card at lower cost. The process could be automated in that as long as ink and blank cards were installed (hundreds could be loaded).... the system would print as dictated by spreadsheet or feed from integrated membership management system.

Appeared to be a "no brainer" to me 2-3 years ago and I would only guess that it would be even more cost efficient to do it now.

Sometimes I think CAP thinks its the military in that it pays more to get less to help prop up the economy. Note to CAP - At the National, Regional and maybe even Wing level, we should never pay retail or anything above it!
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

DogCollar

Mine came in the mail yesterday!! :)
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Spartan

NHQ has sent me three unsolicited membership cards in as many months, all of them listing me as a SM.  It would be funny if people weren't having problems getting an updated ID card in a timely manner.

RiverAux

Apparently you've been demoted.

Spartan

Demoted? Oh I hope not.  I can't afford the pay cut.

Strick

Got a new one yesterday, I was demoted from Major major to just major :'(  Now I have to remove the double bottle caps of my BDU's on each collar >:D
[darn]atio memoriae

SarDragon

Quote from: Strick on February 16, 2010, 07:12:04 PM
Got a new one yesterday, I was demoted from Major major to just major :'(  Now I have to remove the double bottle caps of my BDU's on each collar >:D

Wow. That's a major malfunction.  >:D >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

EMT-83

Promoted 1 February, new card arrived today (with correct name and grade). It would appear that whatever backlog existed is cleared. If anyone's been waiting for a while, a call to NHQ might be in order.

Thrashed

My card came today, but it says 2Lt.  I made Capt last October!?

Save the triangle thingy

Strick

Quote from: Thrash on February 17, 2010, 06:25:44 PM

KINDA reminds me of office space, no one sent Milton a Memo
[darn]atio memoriae

Spartan

excuse me *inaudible mumble* but, um *inaudible mumble* you um, *inaudible mumble* you have my stapler.

I will never understand what is so hard about sending accurate membership cards when they're needed.  I must not see enough of the big picture.

Strick

I think when they switched vendors there was a sanfu with the previous orders from national so tthey are playing catch up and dont know where the last vendor left off.  Only my guess.......
[darn]atio memoriae

Spike

Quote from: Thrash on February 17, 2010, 06:25:44 PM

Two members in the Squadron had the same thing happen.

Are the cards produced in-house or by a contractor??

Cecil DP

they're made by a contractor. I received a new card about a week ago stating that a contractor may have sent out a bad batch and here was a replacement.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Spike

^ Thank you.  I am just wondering what else is farmed out from NHQ.  I remember that the older blue and white membership cards that went away about 1997 were made at the HQ itself.

This brings up the issue of cost and issuance of real "govt ID Cards".  If it costs $5.00 per card now, how much more could it cost to have CAC or some other form of Govt accepted ID card produced. 

(I have no idea what it costs to print and mail out CAP membership cards now, if anyone does, that would be interesting to know) 

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Spike on February 17, 2010, 08:39:29 PM
If it costs $5.00 per card now, how much more could it cost to have CAC or some other form of Govt accepted ID card produced.

I really don't see any benefit to having a membership card, other than base access for a limited number of our members.  Seriously, when was the last time you had to produce your membership card?  I think it has literally been about 4 years since I've had to show it to someone and it has certainly been reduced since the creation of e-services.

I'm not advocating getting rid of them completely, but at least just removing the grade off them so that we aren't dumping $100K per year into the cost of replacement cards/lost cards, etc. 

Just have it say "SENIOR" or "OFFICER" on it and call it a day.  Lose it?  Shell out a few bucks to get your replacement.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davidsinn

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 18, 2010, 12:17:37 AM
Quote from: Spike on February 17, 2010, 08:39:29 PM
If it costs $5.00 per card now, how much more could it cost to have CAC or some other form of Govt accepted ID card produced.

I really don't see any benefit to having a membership card, other than base access for a limited number of our members.  Seriously, when was the last time you had to produce your membership card?  I think it has literally been about 4 years since I've had to show it to someone and it has certainly been reduced since the creation of e-services.

I'm not advocating getting rid of them completely, but at least just removing the grade off them so that we aren't dumping $100K per year into the cost of replacement cards/lost cards, etc. 

Just have it say "SENIOR" or "OFFICER" on it and call it a day.  Lose it?  Shell out a few bucks to get your replacement.

They expire when your membership expires so they have to send a new one when that happens. For most people that's every year.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jimmydeanno

Quote from: davidsinn on February 18, 2010, 11:04:14 AM
They expire when your membership expires so they have to send a new one when that happens. For most people that's every year.

Right, but assume the best scenario possible.  Even if they were $1.00-$2.00 each, including the shipping, we're shelling out about $60,000-$120,000/year for a stupid plastic card that nobody even needs.  Then factor in lost and promotion cards and it's probably another 5K cards.

Seems to me that 5-10% of our membership dues being spent on something as mundane as membership cards is rather absurd...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Strick

I am for picture ID cards, HQ could buy the equipment for about 5 grand give or take.  Upload your photo and they could send you the card.  At the Police Department and VFD we used the system because it was a heck of alot cheaper than going with the contractor. It not rocket science these days.
[darn]atio memoriae

NC Hokie

Quote from: Strick on February 18, 2010, 07:00:44 PM
I am for picture ID cards, HQ could buy the equipment for about 5 grand give or take.  Upload your photo and they could send you the card.  At the Police Department and VFD we used the system because it was a heck of alot cheaper than going with the contractor. It not rocket science these days.

I thought as well, but then realized that 50,000 cards per year equals just over 200 cards per work day, all of which have to be printed, inserted into a mailer, and sorted for the post office.  That doesn't even include the additional cards that have to be made each time a member promotes or requests a replacement.  Those numbers probably require a bit more than $5,000.00 worth of equipment, not to mention the additional payroll required for the person (or people) required to do the work.

All in all, NHQ is probably getting a better deal outsourcing this than they would by trying to do it in house.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

RiverAux

There is no reason that membership has to only be for one year.  Make it 2 years and cut the number of cards issued in half. 

FW

Membership can currently be renewed for up to a 3 year period.  Membership cards are set to the expiration date you are paid up for.  This saves some money.  The problem right now is the equipment NHQ uses to print the membership cards requires a second plastic blank to make.  Until they get the new system running, they must use the old system (it's still cheaper than outsourcing).  The new system will allow for automatic annual renewal, printing of membership cards on special paper and, the savings of big bucks.  Picture cards will be an option when renewing.  I was told the new system will be running by 1 Jan 2011.

Spike

^ That is unacceptable.  It is wasteful and financially misguided. 

FW

Yes it is.  We've wasted about $25k a year because of this.  But, we get a nice wallet card with phone numbers on it...
With the new system in place we will probably save much more; especially with automatic renewals and less expensive membership card blanks.

Capt Rivera

I would think that more people would renew for a longer period if there was a reduction of some kind per year paid in advanced...

- Sometimes you have to give a little to get a little...especially upfront...

I know some will say; "but you can lock in the cost of membership for x years...."
- Frankly... the cost of membership should not be increasing year over year...

My wing has not had an increase... If I lived in a wing that had increases all the time... My memborship would expire if they did not explicitly justify it. Stateing the cost of everything is going up is not justification. You must tell me what you did to reduce costs/be more efficient and why that effort was not enough.

- With the above, I am considering National/Region/Wing dues...  I don't believe there's been an increase since I've been in ND Wing...

FW- Do you know more about the hold up? Why is this something that will take another full year?... its not a new/issue or concern... it's been discussed on CAPTalk before... at least 2 years ago by my estimate...

- my only guess is the tie in to the new membership management system?
-- Anyone have updates on that?

We talk a lot about the CAC... I have one... Big deal... So the military won't let CAP have one... Why don't we make a photo ID card that does not mimic the CAC but does not look like a library or HS ID? I would have to think that's possible.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

FW

Quote from: RiveraJ on February 19, 2010, 02:51:06 PM

FW- Do you know more about the hold up? Why is this something that will take another full year?... its not a new/issue or concern... it's been discussed on CAPTalk before... at least 2 years ago by my estimate...

- my only guess is the tie in to the new membership management system?
-- Anyone have updates on that?

That's correct. The new system needs to be fully set up, tested and, audited before implimentation.  I know the new system has been identified and, the BoG has authorized funds for its purchase.  I don't know what phase of the process they are currently in however, I was told things should be online by January 2011.  The system was approved by the BoG at the June 2009 meeting.

Spike

We talk a lot about the CAC... I have one... Big deal... So the military won't let CAP have one... Why don't we make a photo ID card that does not mimic the CAC but does not look like a library or HS ID? I would have to think that's possible.

No one said it had to be military.  However a card that is accepted by the Federal Government would help some of us out.  The Laptop on loan to the Squadron by the AF has a smart card reader built in.  Smart Card identification systems are the future.  CAP needs to look at IT of the future and how and where the FED is going or we will all be left behind, and have to play catch up.  Right now to get online on base, you need a common access card, and a password assigned by the Command.  You plug the smart card in, enter the password and we are online.  The Air Force gave our unit a CAC with the only thing printed on it...."CAP SQD xxx"  It is a controlled item and a way around the whole Identification situation mess caused by NHQ and CAP-USAF.  It was the Base Commander who did this for us, when we mentioned our lack of CAC.   

a2capt

Quote from: FW on February 19, 2010, 04:01:51 AM
But, we get a nice wallet card with phone numbers on it...

What else that thing is good for..  a stiffener for the name plate :) Perfect size, can't see it behind the pocket... and the NHQ phone numbers are right there.  ;-)

brasda91

Quote from: Spike on February 19, 2010, 08:39:51 PM

No one said it had to be military.  However a card that is accepted by the Federal Government would help some of us out.  The Laptop on loan to the Squadron by the AF has a smart card reader built in.  Smart Card identification systems are the future.  CAP needs to look at IT of the future and how and where the FED is going or we will all be left behind, and have to play catch up.  Right now to get online on base, you need a common access card, and a password assigned by the Command.  You plug the smart card in, enter the password and we are online.  The Air Force gave our unit a CAC with the only thing printed on it...."CAP SQD xxx"  It is a controlled item and a way around the whole Identification situation mess caused by NHQ and CAP-USAF.  It was the Base Commander who did this for us, when we mentioned our lack of CAC.

I have mentioned on here in the past about our squadron having an office in the new Armed Forces Readiness Center.  We have moved in and just need to finish the daunting task of organizing everything.  I inquired about phone and internet back during the construction phase and was told we would not get internet because we (CAP) aren't Federal or contractors.  Wing Commo said they took the issue to Washington, DC and they said "no".  Now, whether or not that actually took place has left one to wonder.  I stopped by the office Wed on my way to work and the J6 guy was there and told me that we would be on the internet.  He's worked with CAP across the Wing and understands our need for the local ISP and not the DOD intranet.  He also said we would have our own extensions and is going to install 6 phones for each of our desks/workstations/commanders office.  We have come 180 degrees in having internet.  If you can get lucky enough to find the right guy who is familiar with CAP and our needs, a CAC card is not necessary.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Dracosbane

I don't know all the details, and I can't speculate, but the Armory where we meet has been doing some re-arranging and re-structuring of their facility.  We're allowed to use a conference room which is pretty bare bones at the moment.  However we've been told that they're going to be adding a whole slew of new toys into that room at some point, including some cabinetry specifically for our use.  They're even going to be nice enough to allow us to use whatever toys they're putting in, and even teach us how to.  We'll have wireless access to their internet.  We'd love to get permanent office space, but they're stuffed to the rafters with the RM units that are housed there.

But we're not complaining. 

brasda91

Quote from: Dracosbane on February 20, 2010, 08:10:32 PM
I don't know all the details, and I can't speculate, but the Armory where we meet has been doing some re-arranging and re-structuring of their facility.  We're allowed to use a conference room which is pretty bare bones at the moment.  However we've been told that they're going to be adding a whole slew of new toys into that room at some point, including some cabinetry specifically for our use.  They're even going to be nice enough to allow us to use whatever toys they're putting in, and even teach us how to.  We'll have wireless access to their internet.  We'd love to get permanent office space, but they're stuffed to the rafters with the RM units that are housed there.

But we're not complaining.

We had politicial influence in establishing our sqd hq in the Readiness Center.  The Guard and Reserve were going to tear down our sqd hq for the land to build the facility.  The politicial powers told the Guard and Reserve they had to provide us office space.  He have gone from"you won't have internet access" to the J6 saying "you're going to internet".  I had been trying to tell them we just wanted access to the internet side of the connection.  I think one we just got lucky that the J6 NCO has worked with CAP in other facilities across KY and with us being under the Dept of Military Affairs, he knows we have a specific need for our missions as well as the military side of the house.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Nick

Why not just use the 101 card (or a similar concept where you just print it out) as the membership card?  Saves a boatload of expense, and there's a bunch of folks that claim they never pull their membership cards out of their wallets anyway.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Capt Rivera

Quote from: McLarty on February 21, 2010, 02:41:14 PM
Why not just use the 101 card (or a similar concept where you just print it out) as the membership card?  Saves a boatload of expense, and there's a bunch of folks that claim they never pull their membership cards out of their wallets anyway.

- Easier forgeries of paper IDs...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

JoeTomasone

Quote from: RiveraJ on February 21, 2010, 06:54:56 PM
Quote from: McLarty on February 21, 2010, 02:41:14 PM

- Easier forgeries of paper IDs...

And if you got on base with that....  <shudder>

I am all for combining CAPF 101 and 78, but I prefer my picture ID.   Can't say that I wouldn't love to see it look more professional, but for what it is....

PHall

The picture CAP Membership card I have works well enough. Just remember, it's a membership card, not an ID card.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: PHall on February 21, 2010, 09:21:38 PM
The picture CAP Membership card I have works well enough. Just remember, it's a membership card, not an ID card.

Actually, I would consider it both.  It verifies your membership AND identifies you.   I've used mine far more as the latter than as the former.

SarDragon

With picture - ID card. Without picture - membership card. Pretty simple.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Dracosbane

Quote from: brasda91 on February 20, 2010, 08:27:31 PM

We had politicial influence in establishing our sqd hq in the Readiness Center.  The Guard and Reserve were going to tear down our sqd hq for the land to build the facility.  The politicial powers told the Guard and Reserve they had to provide us office space.  He have gone from"you won't have internet access" to the J6 saying "you're going to internet".  I had been trying to tell them we just wanted access to the internet side of the connection.  I think one we just got lucky that the J6 NCO has worked with CAP in other facilities across KY and with us being under the Dept of Military Affairs, he knows we have a specific need for our missions as well as the military side of the house.

We don't have, or need, any political influence for our location.  However we do have an awesome relationship with the facility and its Army units, that goes back a couple of decades.  We like them and respect the building and the people who work there, and they like us and respect what we do and give us space and toys to play with (or at least they will be when they install them).  Permanent storage would probably be more helpful than permanent office space, but we don't beg or push for it.  Especially because we know they're hurting for space for their own people. 

The nice thing is, they think of us when they make changes that affect us and keep us in the loop.

Nick

Quote from: SarDragon on February 21, 2010, 10:00:12 PM
With picture - ID card. Without picture - membership card. Pretty simple.
Yeah, that's kinda my point.  Membership card = who cares about forgeries?  All it does is provide proof of membership that is verified on eServices anyway.  NHQ isn't losing money off the ID cards (whether it be through paying for it or multi-year renewal) so that's a wash.  So, you totally eliminate the expense of producing membership cards by just printing the things out.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus