Motivating C/2d Lts to skip over the SDA barrier

Started by Майор Хаткевич, November 02, 2009, 07:25:01 PM

Майор Хаткевич

One of the oldest topics I see on the cadet section of CAP Talk deals with SDAs.

Some 4-5 years later, and almost 4 years since becoming a C/Officer myself I am struggling with motivating some C/2d Lts on getting over their fear/anxiety/misunderstandings of the SDA promotion requirements.

I'm looking for some input on how others explain/introduce the SDA program to their newly minted Mitchell cadets.

On my own I knew enough to hit up gocivilairpatrol.com (cap.gov back then) for the forms/manuals/regulation page and used CAPR 52-16 to figure out that CAPR 52-14 is my new best friend. The indexes were also of great help.

Now looking over the Cadet Programs Officer Pamphlet it seems that the Pamphlets list all/most/many of the required publications that are helpful to the specific SM track.

So, so far I have CAPR 52-16, CAPR 52-15, Index 0-2, Index 0-9, and P200-228.

The next question is, after dumping a list on the cadet, how did you manage to get them to actually DO an SDA? When I did my first ones, I didn't struggle, but others seem to think it is an almost impossible requirement.

How have you been able to successfully teach C/2d Lts to complete their SDAs?

jimmydeanno

It was pretty simple really.  I told them that I'd help them through the first one and continue to support them through the rest.

The general fear is that they don't know what is expected or how to put it together. 

I gave them an example, sat down with each one and explained the process, format, expectations, etc.

Now the C/Capt and C/Maj type cadets do the same thing with the new C/2d Lts.  Our hurdle isn't the SDAs in my unit, but getting the PT scores down and passed before winter comes...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Майор Хаткевич

I was thinking of the mentoring as an obvious step, especially since I've done them recently, and am working on one right now myself. I see an issue because there is a cadet who is 14 months into the Mitchell with the SDA being the block at Chapter 8 in the LL Book. There is also a new C/2d Lt who will be getting his Mitchell anytime now, and I don't want him to stall out either.

My issue is living far away and having classes the same nights as the meetings, but I'm trying to work out a way to get out to the meetings.

As a side note, what do you do for PT in the winter time?

jimmydeanno

All too often you see them stall out because of the SDAs because there isn't any sort of mentoring or there isn't a cadet further along in the program to show as an example. 

Taking an active role in setting them up for success goes a long way.  It may be a "self-paced" program, but without any guidance or leadership, self motivation won't take you too far.  If you have a cadet who is 14 months into their Mitchell and still hasn't promoted, I would wonder why your adult leadership isn't taking a more active role.

On the topic of winter PT, we end up having to do the shuttle run inside, but because the times are so ridiculous (1/10s of a second difference between promotions, etc), cadets usually fail for 4 months in the winter and start passing again once they can get to the mile.  Either that or we take a signed statement from their PE teacher if they have indoor tracks, etc that they do their CPFT in.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill