Yes
6 (14.3%)
No
29 (69%)
Not Sure Yet...
7 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Gunner C

I'd have to agree.  If chaplains need an alternative, let them take Squadron Officers' School.  That's the alternative that everyone else has.

Short Field

There are no PME equivalents to SLS and CLC.  Both have to be taken "in-residence".
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Gunner C

Quote from: Short Field on September 03, 2009, 11:34:21 PM
There are no PME equivalents to SLS and CLC.  Both have to be taken "in-residence".
Oops, you're right.  Then they'll have to go to a weekday program.

In the RM, the only reason chaplains have rank is for pay and housing purposes.  That's why they're addressed as "chaplain" and their name line is:

Chaplain (Captain) Joseph Schmo

When you get down to it, you don't need rank to minister to members.  Do chaplains need further CAP professional education?  Maybe, maybe not.  Perhaps they need their own rank:  Chaplain.

Spike

Quote from: Cecil DP on September 03, 2009, 10:55:22 PM
Quote from: Spike on September 03, 2009, 09:27:25 PM
I am wondering if I complain long enough and loud enough....will NHQ let me take NSC on line??  .

It's  called. Air Command and Staff College

I don't want to do any work you see.  I want to view the 200 or so NSC slides and call it a day!

Gunner C

DogCollar

Quote from: Gunner C on September 04, 2009, 12:45:43 AM
Quote from: Short Field on September 03, 2009, 11:34:21 PM
Oops, you're right.  Then they'll have to go to a weekday program.

In the RM, the only reason chaplains have rank is for pay and housing purposes.  That's why they're addressed as "chaplain" and their name line is:

Chaplain (Captain) Joseph Schmo

When you get down to it, you don't need rank to minister to members.  Do chaplains need further CAP professional education?  Maybe, maybe not.  Perhaps they need their own rank:  Chaplain.

Accept, as you yourself have mentioned, Chaplains participating in professional development gives them insight and understanding into the workings of CAP which helps us minister to the men and women in the organization. 

I re-read the post in PD News and it says that on-line SLS is NOW available to Chaplains.  It then goes on to say that it will become available to all who are eligible.  It seems to me that this language indicates that it will not be for Chaplains ONLY for long.

That being said, I still do not concur that SLS on line is a positive move.  I would prefer in-residence classes, more often than once or twice a year, in more locations, at varied times.  It seems to me that requiring these classes for anyone and then offering them once or twice in a wing is ridiculous and promotes frustration and dissatisfaction among those who want to advance in CAP.  Is this smart?  To purposely frustrate those who want to be most active?
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Gunner C

Sorry, but I had to wait three years for a CLC class that fit into my schedule.  That's just the way it is.

(BTW, it's except not accept)

RiverAux

I've been waiting for them to hold RSC within a reasonable driving distance....

Cecil DP

Quote from: RiverAux on September 05, 2009, 03:38:47 AM
I've been waiting for them to hold RSC within a reasonable driving distance....

Since the RSC sites are have been located in the same places for years, I would suggest you choose either the closest or one in or near a place you would like to visit.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RiverAux

I know how they do things.  I was attempting to sarcastically comment on how CAP has failed to adjust this program vital for promotions to my particular needs.   >:D

arajca

When they do release this to the general membership, how long do you think the residential version will last?

Lt Joe Schmoe needs SLS to complete Level II and make Captain. His choices are:
1. Wait for someone to conduct one, take a weekend away from family, work, etc, spend money on meals, travel, and possibly a room.
2. Sit down infront of his computer, at his convienence, and do an online course for a few hours.

What is Lt Schmoe going to do?

Even though the announcement says the online version will not be the primary method of completing SLS, it will become that in short order.

RiverAux

DogCollar

Quote from: Gunner C on September 05, 2009, 03:27:11 AM
Sorry, but I had to wait three years for a CLC class that fit into my schedule.  That's just the way it is.

(BTW, it's except not accept)

Thanks, once again, for catching my spelling error.  I don't know what I would do with out you as my personal proof reader. ;)

You don't see anything detrimental with waiting 3 years to take a PD required class?  It is my opinion that these classes be offered as oftne as possible at various times.  We do a disservice to those members who actually are serious about professional development by not offering in-residence classes more often.  The result being that they are becoming on-line optional.

Short Field

Using the timelines for a duty-performance promotion, a member will have been in 3 years before not having SLS delays a promotion.  So that is three years to get scheduled for SLS to make Captain.  They then have another 3 years to complete CLC before being delayed for Major.  Of course that is assuming they meet all the other requirements.  Three years to find a weekend is not that hard a requirement.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Capt Rivera

//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

DogCollar

Quote from: Short Field on September 06, 2009, 05:57:07 PM
Using the timelines for a duty-performance promotion, a member will have been in 3 years before not having SLS delays a promotion.  So that is three years to get scheduled for SLS to make Captain.  They then have another 3 years to complete CLC before being delayed for Major.  Of course that is assuming they meet all the other requirements.  Three years to find a weekend is not that hard a requirement.

Okay, but suppose you have met all the requirements, including TIG, but have to wait 1 to 2 additional years to take CLC?  When it comes to situations like that, when people are wanting  to advance and contribute to the organization, hindering them by not holding courses multiple times a year is....well, pretty stupid.  It frustrates an excited member.  I don't know how it is where you are, but we could use all the enthusiastic members we can get!

Cecil DP

Quote from: DogCollar on September 07, 2009, 11:00:25 AM
Quote from: Short Field on September 06, 2009, 05:57:07 PM

Okay, but suppose you have met all the requirements, including TIG, but have to wait 1 to 2 additional years to take CLC?  When it comes to situations like that, when people are wanting  to advance and contribute to the organization, hindering them by not holding courses multiple times a year is....well, pretty stupid.  It frustrates an excited member.  I don't know how it is where you are, but we could use all the enthusiastic members we can get!

This is a matter to bring up to your Wing and Group Commander's. There should be a number of people within agroup or Wing to field a staff for a CLC. Don't ask insist.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85