Main Menu

going Senior Member

Started by STG3, USN, August 18, 2009, 02:33:56 AM

MIKE

Quote from: Ford73Diesel on August 26, 2009, 02:48:54 AM
Although I'm not a SM yet, I will be switching in about a month.  I am a SN in the USCG and C/Capt.

Don't forget the R in USCGR... This is important when you mention SN, USCG and C/Capt in the same sentence.
Mike Johnston

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: MIKE on August 26, 2009, 03:06:12 AM
Quote from: Ford73Diesel on August 26, 2009, 02:48:54 AM
Although I'm not a SM yet, I will be switching in about a month.  I am a SN in the USCG and C/Capt.

Don't forget the R in USCGR... This important when you mention SN, USCG and C/Capt in the same sentence.

Aye aye.

Dragon 3-2

Quote from: IceNine on August 23, 2009, 03:57:36 AM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 21, 2009, 02:50:08 PM
Quote from: STGSN, USN on August 18, 2009, 11:34:33 PM
I also have heard that former Eaker Cadets are given credit for completing level 2 is this true?

Yep.

Wright Brothers - Nada, zip, zero, bupkis, goose egg.
Mitchell - FO @18, 2d Lt @21.
Earhart -, TFO @18, 1st Lt @ 21.
Eaker - SFO @ 18, Capt @ 21; Level II requirements credited, includes tech rating in CP, and credit for SLS and AFAIDL 13/CAPBOC (after 1 Jan 10).
Spaatz - Same as Eaker, except adds credit for Yeager Award and senior rating in CP.

Be aware it is not automatic; if it's been more than 2 years since your membership lapsed, you must complete Level I - CPPT/OPSEC/Foundations Course; only the Foundations course is waived for former cadets with less than 2 years break in membership.

You get SFO @ 18 and Capt @ 21 for Spaatz Not Eaker.

Quote from:  35-5
CADET AWARD GRADE AUTHORIZED
Mitchell = Second Lieutenant
Earhart = First Lieutenant
Spaatz = Captain
Figure 5. Senior Member Officer Grades Authorized for Former CAP Cadets Age 21 and Older.

Quote from: 4 June 2008 ICL to 50-17Credit will be awarded to former cadets based on specific accomplishments. Those members
who earned the Earhart Award may receive the technician rating in the Cadet Programs Officer
specialty training track. Members who have earned the Eaker Award may be awarded
completion of SLS, the CAP Senior Officer Course, and Level II. In addition, members who
earned the Spaatz Award may be awarded the senior rating in the Cadet Programs Officer
specialty training track and the Yeager Award.

And here I was getting my hopes up lol,  C/LTC for the next 4 days, 1st LT after that... :/

Captain  Steven Smith
Aerospace Education Officer
NJ-102 Plainfield Red Falcons
Eaker #2089
2009 NJWG / NER Dragon Drill Team

Cecil DP

When in doubt read the reg!
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RogueLeader

Can't fight black and white.

You can try .. .
Try not. Do or do not.  There is no try.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Strick

Former C/Lt. Col. and now a senior , Was asked to leave when I was a cadet a few times >:D

As a senior they have not asked me to leave yet :angel:

Good luck,
[darn]atio memoriae

DBlair

Quote from: Dragon 3-2 on January 11, 2010, 06:42:04 AM
Quote from: IceNine on August 23, 2009, 03:57:36 AM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 21, 2009, 02:50:08 PM
Quote from: STGSN, USN on August 18, 2009, 11:34:33 PM
I also have heard that former Eaker Cadets are given credit for completing level 2 is this true?

Yep.

Wright Brothers - Nada, zip, zero, bupkis, goose egg.
Mitchell - FO @18, 2d Lt @21.
Earhart -, TFO @18, 1st Lt @ 21.
Eaker - SFO @ 18, Capt @ 21; Level II requirements credited, includes tech rating in CP, and credit for SLS and AFAIDL 13/CAPBOC (after 1 Jan 10).
Spaatz - Same as Eaker, except adds credit for Yeager Award and senior rating in CP.

Be aware it is not automatic; if it's been more than 2 years since your membership lapsed, you must complete Level I - CPPT/OPSEC/Foundations Course; only the Foundations course is waived for former cadets with less than 2 years break in membership.

You get SFO @ 18 and Capt @ 21 for Spaatz Not Eaker.

Quote from:  35-5
CADET AWARD GRADE AUTHORIZED
Mitchell = Second Lieutenant
Earhart = First Lieutenant
Spaatz = Captain
Figure 5. Senior Member Officer Grades Authorized for Former CAP Cadets Age 21 and Older.

Quote from: 4 June 2008 ICL to 50-17Credit will be awarded to former cadets based on specific accomplishments. Those members
who earned the Earhart Award may receive the technician rating in the Cadet Programs Officer
specialty training track. Members who have earned the Eaker Award may be awarded
completion of SLS, the CAP Senior Officer Course, and Level II. In addition, members who
earned the Spaatz Award may be awarded the senior rating in the Cadet Programs Officer
specialty training track and the Yeager Award.

And here I was getting my hopes up lol,  C/LTC for the next 4 days, 1st LT after that... :/

From one NJDDT Dragon to another... don't worry, being a C/LtCol gives you full credit for SM Level II which gives you all the requirements for Captain, but you just need to wait 18 months TIG as a 1stLt.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Dragon 3-2

Yes sir, I made sure i sent that request in,  just waiting for my rank to change in eServies ( i actually shivered at the thought lol). I was in a bit of a competition with some of the other C/LT.COL's in the wing to see who got their Spaatz prior to crossing over, I know Ill never hear the end of it from them once they get it lol  >:D

Captain  Steven Smith
Eaker #2089

DBlair

Quote from: Dragon 3-2 on January 13, 2010, 05:18:45 AM
Yes sir, I made sure i sent that request in,  just waiting for my rank to change in eServies ( i actually shivered at the thought lol). I was in a bit of a competition with some of the other C/LT.COL's in the wing to see who got their Spaatz prior to crossing over, I know Ill never hear the end of it from them once they get it lol  >:D

You and I both. lol I have to admit that it felt weird giving up my diamonds and took some time to get used to being called Lieutenant. That being said, I still miss my years as a C/LtCol.

Dragon 3-2

Since the next drill team practice is this coming Saturday, Im going to go down there as sort of a practice run to determine if need to take a break from CP, or if i can separate myself enough to not behave like a cadet anymore. Im hoping for the latter :)

Captain  Steven Smith
Eaker #2089

DBlair

Quote from: Dragon 3-2 on January 14, 2010, 01:42:54 PM
Since the next drill team practice is this coming Saturday, Im going to go down there as sort of a practice run to determine if need to take a break from CP, or if i can separate myself enough to not behave like a cadet anymore. Im hoping for the latter :)

Well, with the way I remember (back in the early 1990s) the NJDDT's senior cadets and SMs running the program, it was more of a unique 'team' mentality than with the way the CP is usually run. The SMs in the NJDDT are much more involved than with other non-DT activities. So, if you are planning to be involved only in a DT capacity, then the switch from senior cadet to SM won't be all that different.

That being said, when you get involved in other CP activities, you may have to remind yourself a few times that you're not a C/LtCol anymore- and as a result, your role is much different in the CP.

The Cadets will respect the fact that you've been through the program yourself and were a C/LtCol, and so this can be helpful in that they feel you can relate to them and understand the situation from their perspective, but its important to make sure you are not seen as a pseudo-Cadet, but rather as a SM, which is why many people suggest being away from the CP for a while. Its a transition that takes a while to get used to.