GSAR Flashlight: Maglight or Surefire

Started by CAP.is.1337, August 12, 2009, 05:13:43 AM

airdale

Quotew00t!
That particular flashlight is not my cup of tea, but since you guys are so excited about them, here they are again: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=211999092 though five bucks more than woot had them.  Apparently Energizer is discontinuing the product.

and here: http://ready2beat.com/technology/electronics/energizer-mil2aa1l-hardcase-tactical-flashlight-review

Eclipse

Quote from: N Harmon on September 04, 2009, 04:25:55 PM
The following is from the Night Vision equipment in SAR thread:

Quote from: Eclipse on August 26, 2009, 02:28:52 AMUseless from the air, and on the rare occasion we're doing a night search, those lost generally want to be found and you'd be much better off with a really bright flashlight.

Can we expand on this here? A really bright flashlight will ruin your night-adapted vision to the point where it may take you hours to get it back. But then why do you need night-adapted vision if you have a really bright flashlight? If the answer is we do not, then of what use is it to carry the red and blue filters for our flashlights?

This web page makes an interesting argument that the use of red light in preserving night-adapted vision is overrated: http://stlplaces.com/night_vision_red_myth/

And the NASAR fundamentals book has a short section on night time searching (page 214) and they suggest a diffuse lantern, perhaps like maybe this:

The importance of night-adapted vision to GSAR is what would dictate our equipment decisions, so I think it's an issue worth hashing out.

There's a difference between blowing out your ability to see in the dark, and NVG's. 

A really bright flashlight, trained in the direction of the search area, is what's needed for a night-time missing person's search.  A lantern with a 360-field of light is also useless because it will constrict your pupils to the point that you can't see anything but the lantern.

The reason you use red or blue lenses for map reading, etc., is so that your eyes continue to be as sensitive as possible for the search itself, with the white light still shining out.

Ditto for digging in your pack in the tent - use a red or blue light and you'll still see ok in whatever available ambient light is around once you snap the flashlight off.

In camp grounds and night searches the available light tends to be very focused and spotty - you can go from a bright lamp to near blackout in a few steps.  Under those conditions you don't want your pupils slammed shut.

I stand by my comment that NVG's that multiply the intensity of ambient light are useless for SAR - in most cases the missing person or thing isn't actively hiding, and there is little value to hiding the searchers, which is the whole point of using NVG's in the military.

Devices that sense and differentiate temperature are a different story as ambient light is usually irrelevant to the device and they will pick up a body or thing very effectively.  These devices are generally well outside the reach of CAP and most other volunteer agencies, however there's no reason they can't be used if we can get access to them.

Anyone who's ever been sitting around a campfire and gotten hit in the eye by a cadet with a 10,000,000 candlepower 48-LED miner's light knows why colored lights should be for general use around camp.  In the actual search, they are usually about as useful as IR.

I also know from personal experience that different eyes work better with different colors of light and the only way to know is to use them in the field and find out.  I don't work or play well with green.  I prefer blue or red, with a preference toward red.

"That Others May Zoom"

Thom

Quote from: Eclipse on September 05, 2009, 05:48:19 PM
There's a difference between blowing out your ability to see in the dark, and NVG's. 

The reason you use red or blue lenses for map reading, etc., is so that your eyes continue to be as sensitive as possible for the search itself, with the white light still shining out.

Ditto for digging in your pack in the tent - use a red or blue light and you'll still see ok in whatever available ambient light is around once you snap the flashlight off.

I stand by my comment that NVG's that multiply the intensity of ambient light are useless for SAR - in most cases the missing person or thing isn't actively hiding, and there is little value to hiding the searchers, which is the whole point of using NVG's in the military.

Devices that sense and differentiate temperature are a different story as ambient light is usually irrelevant to the device and they will pick up a body or thing very effectively.  These devices are generally well outside the reach of CAP and most other volunteer agencies, however there's no reason they can't be used if we can get access to them.

While I generally agree with Eclipse, I'll make a couple of points:

1.  NVGs definitely DO have a place in SAR, but it is a limited role.  NVGs are excellent for wide area scans of large expanses of Wilderness, where there are NO light sources under normal conditions.  Think scanning the wide open Desert or a National Park at night.  If a survivor has even a small flashlight or strobe light, the NVGs will light up like Christmas.

That said, once the search teams begin making their way in, NVGs lose just about all usefulness.

2.  Thermal imaging Rules!  But, it is still too expensive for most SAR teams, especially CAP.  I believe it will be a critical tool in the future once prices come down further.

3.  Colored Light to maintain Night-Adapted Vision actually works on two different levels.  The first, and most obvious, is the fact that light of a single color exposes less of the eye's apparatus to light pollution than a white (or All-Colors) light.  Your Red cones might be slightly fatigued, but your Green and Blue cones will be nearly fully night-adapted after exposure to only Red light.

HOWEVER, people often overlook the fact that traditionally all Night Vision Preservation colored light filters also accomplish a second task:  They DIM the overall light output of any given flashlight.  Take the standard Military crookneck flashlight.  Screwing on the Red filter not only changes the characteristics of the color of light output, but also Greatly Diminishes the overall output.

In short, Colored Light in and of itself is helpful in preserving night-adapted vision, but LOW INTENSITY Colored Light is the real key.  You can't just fire up a Surefire with a Red filter and call it good.  Some bright lights, even with a Red filter in place, can put out over 100 Lumens.  Your night adapted vision is shot for a good long while after exposure to that amount of light, no matter what color(s) it is.

One of the Post-Katrina lessons learned here in Louisiana is that when it gets DARK outside, your greatest need is for flashlights that are DIM, not BRIGHT.  The bright ones are useful for SAR searches, but useless for most day-to-day tasks, since, as Eclipse noted, once you click them off you are effectively blind for 6 minutes or so.  Whereas a Dim light can allow you to see what needs to be seen, then go back to a night-adapted vision mode in less than a minute.

Thom Hamilton

Gunner C

Consider an eye patch at night.  It will preserve NV in one eye.  It will put you off balance for a bit, but once you get used to it, it works pretty well.

Eclipse

Quote from: Gunner C on September 06, 2009, 01:14:06 AM
Consider an eye patch at night.  It will preserve NV in one eye.  It will put you off balance for a bit, but once you get used to it, it works pretty well.

That's all we need is a bunch of GT's walking into trees looking like pirates.

"That Others May Zoom"

Gunner C

I didn't think that they'd authorized the skull and crossbones patch yet.  ::)

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

coolkites

Quote from: IceNine on September 06, 2009, 06:32:52 AM
Only for Somali Costal Patrol.

Hey please do not mock my swivel chair patrol squadron  :D (joke)

djskratch

Personally I use a SureFire 6P with a 65 Lumen lens and a jerry rigged Anglehead Red Lens.  I have A good red lens filtered flashlight that isn't too bright, but it still has more range than most GTM's led flashlights that I've seen.

Note: I also carry a watertight 6 pack of CR-123 Batteries near my flashlight on my Leg Rig and I have a 12 Pack in my LC-2.  Because as most SureFire owners know, it eats batteries for breakfast.
C/Capt Andrew Derr
C/CC
GLR-IN-213

NESA BGSAR 2004, NESA AGSAR 2005, NESA WFR 2006
NESA BGSAR Staff 2007, NESA BGSAR & AGSAR Staff 2008
NESA BGSAR Staff 2009

coolkites

Quote from: djskratch on September 11, 2009, 11:03:10 PM
Personally I use a SureFire 6P with a 65 Lumen lens and a jerry rigged Anglehead Red Lens.  I have A good red lens filtered flashlight that isn't too bright, but it still has more range than most GTM's led flashlights that I've seen.

Note: I also carry a watertight 6 pack of CR-123 Batteries near my flashlight on my Leg Rig and I have a 12 Pack in my LC-2.  Because as most SureFire owners know, it eats batteries for breakfast.

lunch and dinner not to mention snacks in between!  >:D >:D >:D

Mustang

Plenty of excellent choices other than Maglight and Surefire. Maglight hasn't kept pace with the state of the art at all (even their LED lights are marginal compared to what else is out there), and Surefire has always charged a premium for the name.

Look into Fenix and Olight, two manufacturers that are on the leading edge in terms of flashlight technology.   Also check out the Candlepower forums and the Nutnfancy channel on YouTube; he has reviewed a few Fenix lights in addition to all the other gun & gear reviews.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

ol'fido

Bought a Coleman at Walmart. Uses AAs, can switch between white, red, or blue light by turning the head, and is LED. I believe it is a Coleman MAX. Was at a crash sight Thursday night with it. Among the varoius sheriff's deputies and state police plus assorted others, it was the brightest of those I saw.

BTW, Thursday was a bad day for the home-built KR-2 community. They are having there fly in this weekend in Mt. Vernon, IL. One crashed at the airport about 10 am Thursday morning. Another crashed in a bean field near the Mt vernon industrial park about 7 pm the same night. Both pilots were airlifted to St. Louis. During our meeting Thursday night the airport director invited us to come out and look at the second crash site. We got there about an hour after the crash. All of the rescue was over and the LE were arranging site security, so we didn't get in the way but it was awesome to see the level of destruction in a little aircraft.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

After having had the opportunity to use my Energizer Hardcase for a while, I have to say that's its unequivocally the best flashlight I have ever owned.  They were in the Woot! off last week and I missed them as they flashed by.

I've never been a fan of the angle-type lights, but while camping a few weeks ago, all my other flashlights kept crying about the hardcase kicking their butt. As I'd hoped Woot! finally reposted their test video:

http://cdn-static.viddler.com/flash/publisher.swf?key=7cb08a2d

"That Others May Zoom"

Airrace

I like and use a SureFire. I also carry a wind up solar powered flashlight as a back up.