Main Menu

New NCSAs?

Started by RiverAux, February 19, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

RiverAux

Are there any aspects of the Air Force experience that probably could be turned into NCSAs that are not currently covered?  The thread on the Sea Cadets got me thinking that their members seem to have the opportunity to learn a lot more about potential Navy jobs that our cadets do. 

I know that most encampments feature various tours and demonstrations of various Air Force jobs, but thats not quite the same thing. 

By looking at the AF recruiting site, here are some AF careers that might make fun NCSAs:
Combat Control/Tactical Air Control
Imagery Analysis (could easily do this without the top secret stuff)
Emergency Management
Fire Protection
Airfield Management
Security Forces
Helicopter flight school
Remotely operated aircraft

RogueLeader

We're looking into starting a Combat Control School here at Pope AFB/ Ft. Bragg.  I was going to announce it here later when the first news was to be put out.  I figured that now that it is brought up, I thought why not.

We are taking it in a "crawl, walk, run" set up.  So far, we have only been given approval for the concept.  We are hoping to get final approval in the near future.  More to come as the information is released, and developed.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

I know that a SF/Silver Flag NSCA is in the inital planning stages.

Not necessairly a military NSCA (but it could), how about Air Traffic Control Familurasation Course?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

The AF has air traffic control people (obviously), so I think it would fit just fine. 

ThorntonOL

I can see Emergency Management as an NCSA. How would I run it or set it up? No idea.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

RiverAux

There is a specific AF career track for it that seems to go a bit beyond the sort of stuff that we think of as emergency management (base defense,etc.). 

For all of the ideas I threw out there would obviously have to be quite a bit of culling to boil it down to cadet level, but if they can do it for the PJs, they should be able to do it for the rest. 

Hoorah

Is there a NESA similiar to security forces.

SarDragon

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 20, 2009, 04:19:55 AM

NESA = National Emergency Services Academy

Do you mean NCSA (National Cadet Special Activity)? If so, there currently isn't one for security forces.

Quote from: lordmonar on February 20, 2009, 12:18:26 AM

Not necessairly a military NSCA (but it could), how about Air Traffic Control Familurasation Course?

There used to be an ATC Orientation WIWAC. Not sure when it went away.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Gunner C

Quote from: SarDragon on February 20, 2009, 04:37:00 AM

Do you mean NCSA (National Cadet Special Activity)? If so, there currently isn't one for security forces.

Wasn't that the FAA Orientation Course at Oklahoma City?

Stonewall

PJOC - Air Force Pararescue

But of course, we all knew that.

Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

I always thought that an EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal) NCSA would be awesome. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Senior

What does the Silver Flag mean with the SF/Silver Flag?

lordmonar

Oops...my bad.

Silver Flag is a Civil Engineering/services/mission support exercise at Tyndall AFB.

Silver Flag Alpha is Security Forces Base Defense Exercise they hold at Creech AFB.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

capchiro

How about loadmaster or tanker hoser or refueler??
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

maverik

that SERE thing would be amazing best part about it is that the PT reqs say calistnics- 3 excercises will be preformed canidate will do excercise till muscle failure or time completion.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

SarDragon

Quote from: Gunner C on February 20, 2009, 03:37:33 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on February 20, 2009, 04:37:00 AM

Wasn't that the FAA Orientation Course at Oklahoma City?

Yeah, that might be the one, but I still seem to remember something that was specifically ATC. I'll have to look around and see if I have any info about it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DBlair

Quote from: RogueLeader on February 19, 2009, 11:54:37 PM
We're looking into starting a Combat Control School here at Pope AFB/ Ft. Bragg.  I was going to announce it here later when the first news was to be put out.  I figured that now that it is brought up, I thought why not.

We are taking it in a "crawl, walk, run" set up.  So far, we have only been given approval for the concept.  We are hoping to get final approval in the near future.  More to come as the information is released, and developed.

I think a Combat Control NCSA would be a great idea and most certainly would be well-received and seen in the same positive and elite light as PJOC is often regarded among Cadets.

Also, I think many of the ideas listed in the original post above would make great NCSAs- I'm kind of surprised these things haven't been thought of before.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

ol'fido

ATC Orientation Course is now the AETC Familiarization Course. Of course, they used to give the top cadet an O-ride in a T-33, T-37,or T-38. I would like to see the return of the Air Force Academy Survival Course as I have said in a similar thread.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

NIN

One of the things we've talked about in the USAC is eventually doing "branch" courses for cadets, like an NCSA, where you'd go to, say, Fort Knox for an "Armor Orientation Course" or Fort Rucker for the "Aviation Orientation Course," or even Fort Jackson for the "Finance Orientation" (OK, I was just joking on that last one).

Hell, when we were at Bragg in 2006, the Golden Knights were totally down with taking our officers on tandem jumps and hauling our cadets down to Laurinburg for a total Golden Knights "experience."

"Airborne Orientation Course," anybody?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Ned

Quote from: DBlair on March 21, 2009, 10:54:21 PM
Also, I think many of the ideas listed in the original post above would make great NCSAs- I'm kind of surprised these things haven't been thought of before.

Daniel,

National is never short of great ideas for NCSAs.  As you point out, this could be a good one.  But what they are short of is dedicated CP leaders who can take a great idea like this and put together an activity.  And after a couple of successful iterations as a wing or regional activity, offering to make it an NCSA.

As I see it, the problem is a shortage of dedicated CP officers to undertake the task.  It is a lot of work putting a new activity together, and nearly every CP officer I know is already overtasked with squadron and wing activities.

Now if we could just figure out a way to retain more former cadets as senior member CP officers . . .

RADIOMAN015

Actually it's been reported that the "CAP road show" briefing at the MA Wing annual conference, that there will be an AF Red Horse Squadron (Tyndall AFB FL) cadet special activity, and this will cover fire protection & emergency repairs to runways, etc.
See:  http://www.afcesa.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-090227-119.pdf

RM 

DC

Quote from: olefido on March 22, 2009, 01:57:57 AM
ATC Orientation Course is now the AETC Familiarization Course. Of course, they used to give the top cadet an O-ride in a T-33, T-37,or T-38. I would like to see the return of the Air Force Academy Survival Course as I have said in a similar thread.
I think they were talking about something related to Air Traffic Control, not the Air Training Command. And it is no longer called AETCFC, it is now Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training Fam Course, SUPTFC. It changed a couple years ago... Now the top few cadets get rides in a T-1...

ol'fido

I stand corrected, sir.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

CadetProgramGuy

How about AF Careers, such as working on an Active NG Base or AFB?

DBlair

Quote from: Ned on March 22, 2009, 01:18:42 PM
Quote from: DBlair on March 21, 2009, 10:54:21 PM

Daniel,

National is never short of great ideas for NCSAs.  As you point out, this could be a good one.  But what they are short of is dedicated CP leaders who can take a great idea like this and put together an activity.  And after a couple of successful iterations as a wing or regional activity, offering to make it an NCSA.

As I see it, the problem is a shortage of dedicated CP officers to undertake the task.  It is a lot of work putting a new activity together, and nearly every CP officer I know is already overtasked with squadron and wing activities.

Now if we could just figure out a way to retain more former cadets as senior member CP officers . . .

I'd love to get more involved with CP and be involved with organizing a NCSA. The CP is one of the big reasons why I got back into CAP and I would love to get more involved. That being said, most of the ideas for NCSA are military-based concepts and I don't really have such a background- in a few months, I'll be going to Marine OCS (joining the Reserves), but even this probably won't be of much help as its the wrong branch since most of the ideas are obviously AF-based in nature.

You make a great point about needing more former Cadets to become SM CP Officers, this is something I've often found true as well and personally, I find my Cadet experience to be extremely valuable now in facilitating the program. As I'm sure we've all noticed, when Cadets go away to college, they seem to be lost from that point onward- if there was only some way to keep them involved, etc.

AlphaSigOU

Back in the days WIWAC (when I was a cadet) in Florida Wing they used to hold an OJT 'job shadowing' special activity over at then-Homestead AFB. For those who missed out slotting for a national special activity this activity got people interested in the many careers within the Air Force. Jobs ranged from shadowing a crew chief and working in one of the maintenance shops to slinging hash in the chow hall. Not sure if it's still done today.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DC

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 20, 2009, 02:55:45 AM
Back in the days WIWAC (when I was a cadet) in Florida Wing they used to hold an OJT 'job shadowing' special activity over at then-Homestead AFB. For those who missed out slotting for a national special activity this activity got people interested in the many careers within the Air Force. Jobs ranged from shadowing a crew chief and working in one of the maintenance shops to slinging hash in the chow hall. Not sure if it's still done today.
It's still done, but it has become quite competitive, as there are usually very few slots available.

http://www.flcadet.com/CareerShadowing.aspx

DBlair

What does everyone think of the idea of a Wilderness Survival School as a NCSA?

A lot of Cadets have been asking for such an activity to be held locally or at Wing level, and I was curious if there would be interest at a National level for such an activity.

DC

Quote from: DBlair on April 29, 2009, 05:41:16 AM
What does everyone think of the idea of a Wilderness Survival School as a NCSA?

A lot of Cadets have been asking for such an activity to be held locally or at Wing level, and I was curious if there would be interest at a National level for such an activity.
I think there used to be one back in the 80s, run out of USAFA.