Main Menu

CAP vs JROTC

Started by 2LtOlmeda, February 19, 2009, 09:12:17 PM

2LtOlmeda

I was wondering if certain JROTC ribbons can be worn on CAP Blues uniform..
I have a cadet in my flight who is from the JROTC program and believes that he can wear certain ribbons. I told him no, but as subordinates go, he refuses to listen. I don't want to sound rude or anything, but shouldn't JROTC ribbons stay on the JROTC uniform not CAP's?  ???

notaNCO forever

Quote from: 2LtOlmeda on February 19, 2009, 09:12:17 PM
I have a cadet in my flight who is from the JROTC program and believes that he can wear certain ribbons. I told him no, but as subordinates go, he refuses to listen. I don't want to sound rude or anything, but shouldn't JROTC ribbons stay on the JROTC uniform not CAP's? ???

You can wear 3 JROTC ribbons on the CAP uniform Under the CAP ribbons.

davidsinn

Quote from: 2LtOlmeda on February 19, 2009, 09:12:17 PM
I have a cadet in my flight who is from the JROTC program and believes that he can wear certain ribbons. I told him no, but as subordinates go, he refuses to listen. I don't want to sound rude or anything, but shouldn't JROTC ribbons stay on the JROTC uniform not CAP's????

He refuses to listen because you are wrong. Knowledgebase

CAPR39-3
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

2LtOlmeda

Thank you NCO forever. And my apologies. I did not know I was wrong. I just never had a cadet transfer from JROTC to CAP. I'm trying my best here seeing as I'm a first time Flight Commander, so I don't know exactly all the ins and outs of our uniform code. The good thing is that I'm learning.

Pylon

You don't need to use all red text and all bold text in your posts.  Use bold and colors for items of emphasis within a passage of text.  Otherwise it's hard to read.  Thank you.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

2LtOlmeda

I forgot to ask..What three ribbons is it that can be worn from JROTC? I want to be correct when I tell my cadet that he can wear them.

Flying Pig

You can also wear CAP "milestone" awards on the JROTC uniform.  Curry, Mitchell, Earhart Eaker and Spaatz.  Ill scratch your back if you scratch mine.  The ribbons that are allowed are listed on AFJROTC Ribbon charts.
As far as what JROTC Ribbons, I believe its the top 3 they have earned.  Might be wrong.

I think it goes a long way to show that the two programs support each other.

2LtOlmeda

Oh, Okay. Thank you very much. I honestly did not know that this was done. Thats really cool though.

Flying Pig

So now what do you do?

You approach that cadet whom you told was wrong, and say "Hey...cadet Smith.  I researched your issue about the JROTC ribbons being worn, and you were right, you can wear 3 of them as you have been."

End of story.  Charge on.  Leaders make mistakes.

2LtOlmeda

Thanks. I'll do that, but seeing as I won't see him for two weeks, could/would it be appropriate to email him? I'd call, but I do not have his number. So much to do, so little time to get things straightened out and organized.

2LtOlmeda

Actuall, I'd love to stay and chat more about this, but disappointing as this may be, I have to leave. To everybody who posted very helpful information, I thank you. Hope yall have a wonderful day!

Flying Pig

Just wait until you see him. 

JROB

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 19, 2009, 09:24:28 PM
You can also wear CAP "milestone" awards on the JROTC uniform.  Curry, Mitchell, Earhart Eaker and Spaatz.  Ill scratch your back if you scratch mine.  The ribbons that are allowed are listed on AFJROTC Ribbon charts.
As far as what JROTC Ribbons, I believe its the top 3 they have earned.  Might be wrong.

I think it goes a long way to show that the two programs support each other.

The JROTC Ribbons that I wore on my CAP uniform were just whatever I felt like wearing usually the top three. and on My JROTC uniform I was allowed to wear all of my CAP ribbons (Chose not to)
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

Hawk200

Quote from: 2LtOlmeda on February 19, 2009, 09:20:55 PM
Thank you NCO forever. And my apologies. I did not know I was wrong. I just never had a cadet transfer from JROTC to CAP. I'm trying my best here seeing as I'm a first time Flight Commander, so I don't know exactly all the ins and outs of our uniform code. The good thing is that I'm learning.

We don't have a uniform "code", we have a publication, CAP Manual 39-1.  Right click, select "Save Target As" (or "Save Link As" in Firefox) to download it. Then read it from beginning to end. Do it a couple of times for good measure. Now, the goal is not to memorize, it's to be familiar with it. In the future, if there is a question about something, you'll have a better idea for where to look for it. Most of the answers you need are there.

Not everything is in that one manual. For the rest, there's this page of CAP Publications. The letters on 39-1 changes are there, also. Read those too.

In the future, look up things that there are questions on. Unfortunately, there aren't too many hard copies of the uniform manual to be had. Best thing is to keep a notepad with you, write down the suspected issue, and look it up before the next meeting; or ask a senior that you know will look up an issue for you.

Our squadron has a computer available to all members that has the uniform manual on it (among other things), and has an attached printer. If yours has something similar, then when you get a few minutes you can look something up, print it out.

Part of your leadership position requires you to know many things. Memorizing is not the answer, knowing where to find it is.