Vehicle release for non members. Why not?

Started by brasda91, February 06, 2009, 11:15:06 PM

brasda91

Has there been any discussion as to why we don't have a release form for non members to ride in our corporate vehicles?  We have a release for flights, why not for our vehicles?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Eclipse

I think a As it stands today, non-members are not allowed under even the limited circumstances that a non-member could fly in a CAP plane must be approved in advance by a wing or region CC, which is an issue, especially in an all-hands-on-deck DR situation where 12 & 15 pack vans could be very useful in moving civilians.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I'm not aware of any regulation prohibiting the transport of non-CAP members in CAP vehicles.

Would a release form be helpful for vehicles?  Every time I have heard a lawyer comment on release forms I've been told that they really aren't worth the paper they're printed on.  You can still get sued and the other people's lawyers are still going to be able to make an argument that the driver or CAP or somebody did something wrong, and could probably still win depending on the facts of the case. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on February 07, 2009, 04:09:24 AM
I'm not aware of any regulation prohibiting the transport of non-CAP members in CAP vehicles.

While not a prohibition, the requirement for advance approval by a Wing or Region CC of non-members makes it very difficult from a practical perspective.  I stand semi-corrected...

Quote from: CAPR 77-1(E)
b.Only CAP members should ride as passengers in COVs, TUVs, ATVs or golf cart type utility vehicles. However, non-members may ride as passengers when their presence contributes to the CAP program. Region and wing commanders will approve, in writing, non-member passengers in advance.

"That Others May Zoom"

Gunner C

That does make our vehicles less useful when we're working with other agencies.

FW

^The requirement for advance permission is a safeguard against personal use of a COV.  If there was a mission where non members where to be transported, the wing/region commanders approval wold be implied in the mission acceptance.  

For activities, such as squadron trips to a museum or NCSAs, the commander's permission would (should) have been spelled out in a supplement to CAPR 77-1 or a policy letter.

And, when it comes to vehicles, I've also been told that releases are worth less than the paper they are printed on.

RiverAux

Wing AND Region Commander approval.  Thats just ridiculous.  Wing Commander approval is just fine since after all they are the only corporate official in the state, but getting written permission from the Region Commander for something this minor is silly. 

brasda91

Does the approval from the Wing CC have to be for each different event or can he/she give a blanket approval?  I guess that may depend on what the Wing CC will approve.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

FW

;D  River,  I like your style.  For wing COV's, wing commanders are the approving authority.  For Region COV's, the region commander is the approving authority.  Yes, to get both to give permission would be silly.  I'm going to call the grammar police and get this fixed.  :D

The wing commander can give "blanket approvals" in a policy letter or supplement to CAPR 77-1.  The approvals however, must be in conformity to the reg.

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on February 07, 2009, 02:12:42 PM
Wing AND Region Commander approval.  Thats just ridiculous.  Wing Commander approval is just fine since after all they are the only corporate official in the state, but getting written permission from the Region Commander for something this minor is silly. 

I think that's indicating a simple either-or situation - for example one of my team at PAH came down in a Region COV.

No idea on blanket approvals, but IMHO it would be counter to the reg, which I believe it intended to let the respective CC decide on a case-by-case basis if the approval is warranted.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on February 08, 2009, 05:37:43 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on February 07, 2009, 02:12:42 PM

I think that's indicating a simple either-or situation -
Nope, it doesn't say "Wing or Region Commander approval", it says "Wing and Region..." so you need both to approve any non-CAP members. 

gistek

I can imagine a blanket approval for something specific, but IMHO these should have a deadline. For instance, if a unit gets one so the 11 year old child of a senior member can come with that senior member, it should end 1 month after the child turns 12. (This gives time for the child's cadet application to be processed.)

Another example would be event or activity related. In this situation, the CAP unit coordinating parking for an event could ask permission to transport members of other organizations who are helping with the parking. Rather than asking every year, the permission could be restricted to the days of the event itself.

In either example, the Wing and Region commanders each have the power to revoke the permission at any time, permitting a "return to base" if no other transport is available.