Tuskegee Airman Honored

Started by flyguy06, January 26, 2009, 08:28:27 PM

flyguy06

First of all to the Mods. THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE POLITICAL.

Many people wonder why last Tuesday was such an auspicious occassion. This video about a Tuskegee Airman sums it up inmy opinion. Check it out.

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2009/01/20/multimedia/1231545729608/an-invitation-to-history.html?ref=us

flyguy06

James Shaw

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Flying Pig

EMT-83

"New America"  I believe is in reference to the country today, compared to the one that Lt Col Watson grew up in, and served in combat for.

I had the opportunity to meet Lt Col Watson last year. His life story is fascinating, and was quite an experience for the cadets who heard him speak and later had the chance to talk to him.

Stonewall

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 26, 2009, 08:28:27 PM
First of all to the Mods. THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE POLITICAL.

Many people wonder why last Tuesday was such an auspicious occassion. This video about a Tuskegee Airman sums it up inmy opinion. Check it out.

The piece on Mr. Spann Watson is a great story.  I've been to tons of Tuskegee Airmen events and met lots and lots of former Tuskegee Airmen.  A lot of courage and pride in that lot of veterans.  They are to be commended for all they have done for America.

But I have to disagree that this one circumstance, the Tuskegee Airmen being invited to the 44th inauguration, is the reason why 20 January was an auspicious occasion.  I would say that it's because it was the inauguration of our president that makes it auspicious and the fact that we put him in office as a people.
Serving since 1987.

IceNine

http://www.zimbio.com/Tuskegee+Airmen+National+Historic+Site/articles/6/Memorial+Day+Introducing+Lt+Col+Julius+Jackson

One of them lurks among us.  Lt. Col Jackson is a LONG standing member of Illinois Wing and is one of our most beloved members of our wing.

He is the only CAP member to have a unit named after him in our wing for sure.

Truely amazing stories come out of his mouth, and if you get the chance he'll gladly tell you as many stories as you have time for, just be ready for a hug  ;)
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4