NESA first responder

Started by maverik, December 28, 2008, 01:25:33 AM

maverik

Hey all I was wondering who all is going to NESA first responder this year. whow has completed it? How hard was it? Did you have fun? Most memorable memory?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

CommandCheif

I have been It was very difficult and hard and I passed. :clap:

JayT

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

maverik

everything needed to be a disaster first responder with an emphasis on close quarters resue. I think 5 people "washed out" if you will,last year.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

DC

Quote from: JThemann on January 01, 2009, 12:43:13 AM
What does the course cover?
I believe that it covers the Wilderness FR curriculum, and goes into a little bit of technical rescue stuff...

Personally I don't get the point, CAP is very clear about not being a first responder agency, and not one that routinely provides medical care, but we have our very own First Responder NCSA...

A friend of mine went, and while I have no first hand knowledge, I was not terribly impressed with what I heard about the training recieved...

maverik

recieved from the USPH I think? You know the guys that wear BDU's with tan boots. haha
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

JayT

Quote from: SARADDICT on January 01, 2009, 01:10:34 AM
everything needed to be a disaster first responder with an emphasis on close quarters resue. I think 5 people "washed out" if you will,last year.

Are they actually popping out CFR-Ds?

By the way, I know a number of guys at my job that would get a chuckle if a seventeen year old told them that they had learned everything there is to know about 'disaster first responding.....'

Also, it's not uncommon to see tan or even gray boots with BDU's. I've seen plenty of pictures of Air Force and Navy guys in that.

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

John Bryan

I know locally in the wing I was a part of that there was confusion that this was a certifying course. It is NOT.

A couple years ago the Indiana EMS Commission lowered the age of Indiana Certified EMS First Responders to the age of 14. When this happened Indiana Wing's Medical Officer started talking about wing sponsored training for the state's first responder course. This never happened on the wing level; although one of the wings squadrons (IN-036 Valparaiso Comp Sq) did offer the course as a joint project with the units BSA Venture Crew....5 members were state certified at the end of the course. Some members thought the NESA course would get them their state certification. Which it will not.

Just an FYI....

(also it is USPHS not USPH)

JayT

It seems kinda stupid to call it "First Responder" then.

"Advance First Aid" would be better.

maverik

they call it first responder because it will get Indiana Wing people certified as a first responder,but as far as other states go it's a course that'll get you training but not certification.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

JayT

Quote from: SARADDICT on January 02, 2009, 02:04:34 AM
they call it first responder because it will get Indiana Wing people certified as a first responder,but as far as other states go it's a course that'll get you training but not certification.

Ah, okay, so that's were the confusion comes from.

Is the CFR program active in Indiana? I don't think there's been a CFR program on Long Island in years.

John Bryan

Quote from: SARADDICT on January 02, 2009, 02:04:34 AM

The NESA course is NOT a state certified course. It is NOT registered with the Indiana EMS Commission. It does NOT have an Indiana EMS Commission course number. As far as I know none of the instructors (who are PHS Officers) are Indiana EMS Primary Instructor nor does the NESA course have a PI.

This course will NOT allow anyone to sit for the Indiana EMS First Responder tests.  Even Indiana residents will not be able to get certified.

It might be a great course but it is NOT a true EMS First Responder course....the only piece of paper you will get will be from CAP.

usaf262

Oddly enough, I am a 17 year-old First Responder certified through the state of Indiana. I'm also in an EMT program through my high school. My point is that's its not how old that matters as long as you are old enough to take the training and be serious about it  :)

As for NESA, I've never been to it, and have no intent of going.
Adult member

JayT

Quote from: usaf262 on January 03, 2009, 08:28:37 PM
Oddly enough, I am a 17 year-old First Responder certified through the state of Indiana. I'm also in an EMT program through my high school. My point is that's its not how old that matters as long as you are old enough to take the training and be serious about it  :)

Hey, I took my EMT-B course in high school, it's a great thing.

usaf262

Quote from: JThemann on January 03, 2009, 09:17:58 PM
Quote from: usaf262 on January 03, 2009, 08:28:37 PM

Hey, I took my EMT-B course in high school, it's a great thing.

Yes, I would definitely agree that it's a great thing.
Adult member

SAR-EMT1

Letting a 14 year old take a first aid class is nice but kids being able to take the CFR or EMT ? That's a SCARY thought.

My state requires one to be 18 and have a high school diploma in order to be eligible for CFR, let alone EMT.

There is talk this may be raised to 21 shortly. The reasons cited vary, but center on lack of professionalism.

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Eclipse

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 04, 2009, 01:37:45 AM
Letting a 14 year old take a first aid class is nice but kids being able to take the CFR or EMT ? That's a SCARY thought.

My state requires one to be 18 and have a high school diploma in order to be eligible for CFR, let alone EMT.

There appears to be no specific age requirement indicated (I know plenty of 17 year old high school graduates, and then of course there's home-schoolers).

In Illinois, the EMT-B must be licensed by the Illinois Department of Public Health. To be licensed, one must:

* have a high school diploma or GED;
    * complete an approved EMT training program;
    * successfully take the licensure exam; and
    * pay a fee.

Licensure must be renewed every four years.

Before becoming an EMT-I or an EMT-P, a person must be a licensed EMT-B. Paramedic and Intermediate training involves additional classroom instruction and clinical experience. To maintain licensure with the Illinois Department of Public Health, an EMT-B and EMT-I must:

* complete 120 hours of continuing education;
    * complete a refresher course or Basic Trauma Life Support (BTLS) or Pre-hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) in the last two years of the licensure period; and
    * maintain a current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) card.

An EMT-P must also complete 120 hours of continuing education and maintain a current CPR card.

For additional information, contact:

Illinois Department of Public Health
525 West Jefferson
Springfield, IL 62761
Phone: 217.782.4977
Fax: 217.782.3987
http://www.idph.state.il.us

"That Others May Zoom"

JayT

There is talk this may be raised to 21 shortly. The reasons cited vary, but center on lack of professionalism.

That's just stupid, and elitist.

I was an EMT at 18, and at 20 I'm well on my way through the AEMT-CC class.

usaf262

I would disagree with that.. The course work required to become a CFR and EMT-B consist of long and hard-working classes. No matter what age someone is shouldn't be as big of a factor as what some people make it out to be. If a kid is willing to do the work and able to pass the courses, it shows they obviously know what they are doing. I know a 14 and 15 year-old first responder too.

I'll become an EMT when I'm 18 as well. I'm looking very forward to it.
Adult member

DC

I became a CFR at 15, and I had some of the best scores on both the practical and written exams in my class, which varied in age from 15 to 45 or so.

I won't debate that there are lots of younger kids out there that could not fully handle the course, or be able to execute what they learned in a mature and professional way, but generalizations like that are total nonsense.