CAP Officer Basic Course

Started by Capt_Redfox30, December 11, 2008, 12:05:50 AM

Capt_Redfox30

Was reading CAP news online and came across the CAP Officer Basic Course article.  First off, I think this is a great idea its about time for an update.  Secondly the second paragraph says that an outline is attached, but I am not finding it.  Am I missing it or is it someplace else?
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

NC Hokie

Quote from: Capt_Redfox30 on December 11, 2008, 12:05:50 AM
Secondly the second paragraph says that an outline is attached, but I am not finding it.  Am I missing it or is it someplace else?

The letter reads like it was originally sent to unit commanders, so I expect that the attachment was included in the copy that they received.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

IceNine

Haven't seen it.  Must be wing or higher dissemination at this point.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Ricochet13

Quote from: IceNine on December 11, 2008, 02:36:09 AM
Haven't seen it.  Must be wing or higher dissemination at this point.

Same here.  No attachment.

Timbo

hmmm.......no section on "officership", nor on what it means to be a CAP Officer.  Also, why include a section on Chaplains??

Perhaps they need to "Borrow the AFROTC or ROTC curriculum, condense it into the 20 hours and be done with it. 

It is Called the Cap OFFICER Basic Course, but not very much relating to Officers.  Maybe I am reading into it too much.

I would include excerpts from "The Air Force Officers Guide" as well as "The Commissioned Officer" a book published by DoD in the late 1950's on what it meant to be an Officer.  We need to strengthen the meaning of the insignia we wear on our shoulders, show what it means, where it fits in inside CAP and with the AF (we being the auxiliary) or else get rid of it.  This course will be the foundation for many individuals coming into CAP with no previous military experience and only a conception on what an Officer is based on TV and movies.  This should be a course that sets the foundation to become a truly excellent CAP Professional, but sadly will most likely be "the the thing you do to get promoted" and will be rushed through as fast as possible so the new member can make Captain. 

I already emailed my concerns and asked that an "Officership" section be included, but it will most likely be ignored.  Hey a section on Followership is great, but that is not a major aspect of what being a CAP Officer is.  We as CAP Officers make decisions and need an understanding on how to make those decisions according to CAP standards. 

Also, lets leave out sections on Chaplains and IG's, and save that for SLS and CLS, where it belongs.  I bet one of the "designers of this course is a Chaplain??

This is a great idea, and I love Blackboard, but I would hate to see it become the "Ok, sit down with me and we will do the course together" thing at the new members first three meetings.  Does that make any sense??  I guess I am trying to get across that It should be just as challenging if not more so Than AFIADL-13 now that it can be taken on line.         

RiverAux

I guess I'm not that impressed with 3 sections meant to take 30 minutes each and I'm not sure how that adds up to 20 hours worth "contact hours". 

Agree that there is no need for the Chaplain Corps section.  Not so sure that it wouldn't be helpful to have the IG section as we do want all our officers to know something about that as they can expect to participate in inspections at some point. 

We probably should think about what the purpose of this course is as distinct from the Squadron Leadership School and Corporate Learning Course.  Their "strawman" for this course seems more like what should be in Level 1 in my book. 

DogCollar

So what if a Chaplain is one of the designers of the course?  Given the general lack of understanding of what chaplaincy is or isn't in Civil Air Patrol educating the membership seems like a good idea to me.  But what do I know, I'm just one of those silly little chaplains!
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

dwb

Quote from: RiverAux on December 16, 2008, 04:54:16 PMI guess I'm not that impressed with 3 sections meant to take 30 minutes each and I'm not sure how that adds up to 20 hours worth "contact hours". 

Three core areas, with several sections each, that all add up to 20 hours.

Timbo

Quote from: DogCollar on December 16, 2008, 05:00:55 PM
So what if a Chaplain is one of the designers of the course?  Given the general lack of understanding of what chaplaincy is or isn't in Civil Air Patrol educating the membership seems like a good idea to me.  But what do I know, I'm just one of those silly little chaplains!

Hey.....never said you were Silly or Little.  But in my experience people of certain groups that collaborate on a joint project like to inject their job and skills into things that may not need it like, this course.  If we include a Chaplain Section why not a section on all Specialties.  More relevant would be a Cadet Programs, Aerospace Education and Emergency Services Section (What are the Three Missions of CAP again??). 

dwb

I like the concept.  I think no matter what they do, they're going to include/omit some topic that people didn't want to be included/omitted.  The proposed curriculum, for me, covers enough of the important topics that I won't nitpick.

If you look at SLS and this as complimentary, then maybe it will help explain why Chaplain and IG stuff is included.

I think it would be beneficial to include some readings.  Peppering the curriculum with some essays at key points can provide additional detail where needed.  Using readings also cuts down on the amount of video content that needs to be developed, while not cutting back on any valuable information.

My only complaint is that there will never be a graded evaluation that is not open book.  Maybe they evaluated the SOS approach (online quizzes with in-person milestone exams) and decided it would be too cumbersome.  It's pretty clear from the concept paper that they want this to be more accessible, allowing more people to complete Level II.

RiverAux

Quote from: dwb on December 16, 2008, 05:05:18 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on December 16, 2008, 04:54:16 PMI guess I'm not that impressed with 3 sections meant to take 30 minutes each and I'm not sure how that adds up to 20 hours worth "contact hours". 

Three core areas, with several sections each, that all add up to 20 hours.
On re-reading the letter, it does appear that it is 30 minutes for each of the 41 topics.  I can get on board with that. 

Capt Rivera

//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Gunner C

Quote from: Timbo on December 16, 2008, 05:09:20 PM

Hey.....never said you were Silly or Little.  But in my experience people of certain groups that collaborate on a joint project like to inject their job and skills into things that may not need it like, this course.  If we include a Chaplain Section why not a section on all Specialties.  More relevant would be a Cadet Programs, Aerospace Education and Emergency Services Section (What are the Three Missions of CAP again??). 

Chaplains are a separate issue - they have their own "parallel" system and it doesn't need to be discussed when trying to develop officers.

Officership, as discussed earlier, is key and isn't addressed.  I too have a copy of the Armed Forces Officer.  It was given to me by an early Air Force Academy graduate WIWAC.  I used it during my cadet career, military career, and later as a CAP commander and mentor.

The reason why officership in CAP is lacking is because it isn't taught.  The caliber of officer in CAP isn't lacking, it's the gun powder.

Part of that "gunpowder" is planning, also not discussed.  I'm trying to remember who it was but there's a member of this board who just got out of RM officer basic course.  OBCs are HEAVY on planning, and CAP is not.  This is one of our problems and should be one of the systemic fixes needed to raise the level of professionalism.

Gunner

Ricochet13

Quote from: Gunner C on December 17, 2008, 09:08:41 AM
Part of that "gunpowder" is planning, also not discussed.  I'm trying to remember who it was but there's a member of this board who just got out of RM officer basic course.  OBCs are HEAVY on planning, and CAP is not.  This is one of our problems and should be one of the systemic fixes needed to raise the level of professionalism.
Gunner

Definitely agree!  Planning is made even more critical in an organization such as Civil Air Patrol which depends on volunteers who do not serve in full time positions for the organization.  Emphasis on short and long term planning, even at the squadron level, would foster a climate of increased satisfaction for members and certainly enhance both mission readiness and mission effectiveness. 

Timbo

Officership, as discussed earlier, is key and isn't addressed.  I too have a copy of the Armed Forces Officer.  It was given to me by an early Air Force Academy graduate WIWAC.  I used it during my cadet career, military career, and later as a CAP commander and mentor.

The reason why officership in CAP is lacking is because it isn't taught.  The caliber of officer in CAP isn't lacking, it's the gun powder.

Yes.....Armed Forces Officer is the correct title, I said Commissioned Officer (SORRY!)  It is a very good read and can easily be excerpted from for use in CAP. 

All I saw was a bunch of "filler" and no real areas of concentration that will make the new member say "Wow that is what it means to be in CAP and be a CAP Officer". 

Chappie

Chaplains are a separate issue - they have their own "parallel" system and it doesn't need to be discussed when trying to develop officers.

Gunner

Two things that I would like to comment on:

1)  A chaplain was not on the "design team".
2)  This course in development as well as the current AFIADL 13 is required of ALL CAP members (including Chaplains) as part of the requirement for Level 2.  Yes, they may have a specialty track (221) but effective as of August, Chaplains will be required to complete SLS and CLC -- completing the 221 and 221A courses are no longer accpected as a subsitute for SLS and CLC.  The "parallel" system is disappearing and becoming more aligned with the other CAP members when it comes to the Senior Member Professional Development Program.

Believe it or not, Chaplains are (should be -- and shame on those chaplains who aren't) involved in all three missions of Civil Air Patrol.

Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

DogCollar

Quote from: Chappie on December 17, 2008, 05:06:48 PM

Gunner

Two things that I would like to comment on:

1)  A chaplain was not on the "design team".
2)  This course in development as well as the current AFIADL 13 is required of ALL CAP members (including Chaplains) as part of the requirement for Level 2.  Yes, they may have a specialty track (221) but effective as of August, Chaplains will be required to complete SLS and CLC -- completing the 221 and 221A courses are no longer accpected as a subsitute for SLS and CLC.  The "parallel" system is disappearing and becoming more aligned with the other CAP members when it comes to the Senior Member Professional Development Program.

Believe it or not, Chaplains are (should be -- and shame on those chaplains who aren't) involved in all three missions of Civil Air Patrol.

Here, here!!! :clap:
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

CAPLAW

Grumpy

"Believe it or not, Chaplains are (should be -- and shame on those chaplains who aren't) involved in all three missions of Civil Air Patrol."

Amen to that!  That being said, I have a Chaplain in my squadron that has a goal of being at every activity in the state where a Chaplain is needed.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that at every SAREX or mission he tries to go to, he's turned away by the IC. 

They want him at missions such as the Fosset mision and the like and they expect him to be qualified but they won't allow him to get the training.

Kind of like the cadets and ES.  Get them trained but don't use them.