Main Menu

Metal Rank

Started by alexalvarez, February 17, 2006, 04:35:15 PM

alexalvarez

Does anyone remember when we went from the metal rank to the current colored epaulets?
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

AlphaSigOU

I'm guessing early 1990s is when we lost the privilege of wearing metal grade on Service Dress and blue epaulets. It happened after I let my membership lapse as a senior in 1988 (but now I'm back). Then came the time of tribulations wearing the maroon epaulets (aka 'Berry Boards') and now we're wearing gray epaulets.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

It's been covered here and other boards - the NHQ CC decided to promote himself to 2-star, and hacked off the USAF.

Their retaliation was most of the uniform nonsense that seperates us from them.

It's been an uphill battle ever since as we move slowly back in line.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

We were wearing the blue rank sleeves when I took a break in 1989. The June 1987 CAPM 39-1 has the old metal rank. Musta been some time in that two year period, but I don't recall the transition.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pace

Quote from: Eclipse on February 17, 2006, 08:07:41 PM
It's been covered here and other boards - the NHQ CC decided to promote himself to 2-star, and hacked off the USAF.
Almost.  The NB promoted the CAP/CC to Maj Gen (which btw he still holds).  I believe his name was Harwell.  Nevertheless, USAF got pissed so in came the marroon epaulets.
Lt Col, CAP

captrncap

Just a thought...but wouldn't it be nice if CAP took this issue up again in the wake of all the good work we did with the current national disasters. Strike while the iron hot.

Major_Chuck

I was around back then when it happened.  Blue epaulets to the maroon (and morale busting) epaulets.

I seriously doubt that we'll ever see pin on AF style rank again.  I don't want to discourage anyone from trying to revive it but I feel the odds are stacked against it happening.  I do like the grey epaulets though and feel that it compliments the uniform combinations very well.

During the dark days of the maroon epaulets I refused to wear the AF Style uniform.  It looked horrible.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Viper

Does anyone have pictures of the older CAP epaulets that were before the gray ones?  I am interested in the older CAP uniforms.

BillB

There were a set of the maroon epaulets on eBay back in January, they sold with one bid of 99 cents. Even uniform collectors don't want the darn things.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SarDragon

Quote from: Viper on March 02, 2006, 01:53:31 AM
Does anyone have pictures of the older CAP epaulets that were before the gray ones?  I am interested in the older CAP uniforms.

Give me a day or two and I'll take pix of my Captain sleeves and post them. That's all I ever wore in blue.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mmouw

I sold my maroon 1Lt on ebay in Jan. for $10.00. I was just happy to get my money back from the old nasty things. I still have my maroon Capt. and intend to keep them to remind me of what mistakes national has made in the past. I was in during the uniform changes. I was active Air Force at the time and our squadron was on a base. We had a up hill challenge gaining the support of the base level command staff, and then we started to wear the maroon rank and also wear them on the service coat. they didn't fit and looked stupid. I don't know why we don't just take matters in to our own hands and return to the way things were. After all with the cut backs in funding we will have to be self sustaining soon any way. I could never figure out the reason given for the rank to be taken off the BDU cap. They gave some lame excuse of safety concerns, but yet for some reason cadets still wear metal rank on the BDU cap. WOW!!!
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

pixelwonk

Quote from: mmouw on March 02, 2006, 02:40:37 PMWe had a up hill challenge gaining the support of the base level command staff, and then we started to wear the maroon rank and also wear them on the service coat. they didn't fit and looked stupid. I don't know why we don't just take matters in to our own hands and return to the way things were.

I hope that was sarcasm.
The reason CAP got the maroon epaulets in the first place was because of  its "taking matters into one's own hands" kind of attitude as it pertained to the AF Uniform, Grade/Rank Structure, etc...

SKYKING607

On a funny note, someone asked me why the "grey" shoulder boards on my uniform.  They also thought that the CAP meant "Confederate Air Patrol" because of the grey. 

"Oh bother!"       Winnie the Pooh
CAWG Career Captain

Major_Chuck

Well, if we did take things into our own hands then we would be "The Confederate Air Patrol."

AF allows us the privledge of wearing USAF style uniform.  Seizing the day regardless of cutbacks would result in 'no' AF style uniform and we would all be wearing the Aviator Uniform (which is not a bad thing but not prefered).

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Pace

Quote from: Major_Chuck on March 02, 2006, 06:51:48 PM
AF allows us the privledge of wearing USAF style uniform.  Seizing the day regardless of cutbacks would result in 'no' AF style uniform and we would all be wearing the Aviator Uniform (which is not a bad thing but not prefered).

The day that happens is the day I wear nothing but the blue flight suit and blue BDUs to EVERYTHING.  Combat Dining-in/out anyone???  Or I could just go with civies when business/formal is appropriate.
Lt Col, CAP

pixelwonk

Quote from: dcpacemaker on March 02, 2006, 08:17:39 PM

The day that happens is the day I wear nothing but the blue flight suit and blue BDUs to EVERYTHING.  Combat Dining-in/out anyone???  Or I could just go with civies when business/formal is appropriate.

since we don't do combat, maybe we could consider it an ES dining in!

Pace

Quote from: tedda on March 02, 2006, 10:41:06 PM

since we don't do combat, maybe we could consider it an ES dining in!

That sounds good.  But you get my point.
Lt Col, CAP

fyrfitrmedic

I know of a dining-out where a few attendees were in BDUs; the attendees in question had literally just come out of the field from a mission. Long story...
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Pylon

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on March 03, 2006, 09:50:54 AM

I know of a dining-out where a few attendees were in BDUs; the attendees in question had literally just come out of the field from a mission. Long story...

Now I have to wonder if the opposite has ever happened:  Mess dress in the airplane!   ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: Pylon on March 03, 2006, 01:57:19 PMNow I have to wonder if the opposite has ever happened:  Mess dress in the airplane!   ;D

We came close one time. A mission got called out during the banquet at the wing conference. They managed to find a crew that wasn't attending.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret