Main Menu

Flightsuit Stuff

Started by stratoflyer, September 25, 2008, 03:43:08 AM

DNall

I already sent that by PM, rather than posting it all over. I know NHQ knows about it, but quietly lets it get by cause they do it right versus crappy vanguard, but it violates the contract with vanguard & a lot of noise about that will force them to shut it down.

O-Rex

Eclipse:

You might want to refrain from posting links like that: you don't know who reads these posts, and some of the vendors received C&D letters from NHQ legal after bloggers posted  links . . . .

It's disappointing to call a company that makes a great quality product at a bargain price to place an order and hear "We've been told we can no longer sell CAP emblem items..."

That's why we PM or call each other for the info.

Please consider retracting the post.

Thanks.

Eclipse

As mentioned countless times before - NHQ staffers have the internet just like everyone else, and Google works there, too.

letsallpretendnooneknowswhere.com was a sponsor of the GLR Region conference this past year, so any silliness like we're hiding a vendor
from NHQ is just that, silly.

NHQ will or won't take action with these vendors based on factors other than whether they are mentioned here.

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

As relayed to me by a legal officer with knowledge of the issue:

The mentioned vendor is a subsidiary of a certain nametape vendor. The primary company DID get a C&D letter and no longer sells CAP items (minus the work around). NHQ believes this applies to the subsidiary as well, the subsidiary knows nothing about it & would just assume not be informed otherwise. Most folks in CAP (including leadership) would like to keep it that way, cause this vendor is outstanding in their work/service and reasonable in price. However, it does clearly violate the contract CAP has with Vanguard. Therefore, this is one of those unspoken things that everyone knows about.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: PHall on September 25, 2008, 04:45:00 PM
Quote from: IceNine on September 25, 2008, 03:57:14 PM
^^ I'm guessing it was just a slight mis speak.

It was probably an AF flight suit, it would have embroidered insignia sewn to it, instead of the plastic.

More likely a Navy flight suit. I have seen more then a few Navy pilots/aircrew with their name and wings embroidered directly on the flight suit.

That would explain the round velcro patch on the right where the command patch should be.
Another former CAP officer

DNall

O-Rex

One of the companies that did receive a C&D letter is Williams & Williams, also known as www.nametags4u.com

Although they don't make CAP items anymore, they sell various sizes and shapes of velcro, in a few colors, including foliage green, which is perfect for flightsuits (even better than the standard OD green.)

PHall

Quote from: O-Rex on September 28, 2008, 10:46:15 PM
One of the companies that did receive a C&D letter is Williams & Williams, also known as www.nametags4u.com

Although they don't make CAP items anymore, they sell various sizes and shapes of velcro, in a few colors, including foliage green, which is perfect for flightsuits (even better than the standard OD green.)

Actually, you want SAGE GREEN if you want to match the green flight suit.

O-Rex

Quote from: PHall on September 28, 2008, 11:23:06 PM

'Foliage' IS sage green.  8)

Incidentally, I got some full-color-on-green sew on rank, and sewed to velcro (I velcro-on my flightsuit rank)  I looks GOOD, and in no way could be confused with USAF.  Let's can the 'short-shorts,' and make a flight uniform change that is professional-looking and easy on the wallet.

PHall

Quote from: O-Rex on September 29, 2008, 01:04:13 PM
Quote from: PHall on September 28, 2008, 11:23:06 PM

'Foliage' IS sage green.  8)

Incidentally, I got some full-color-on-green sew on rank, and sewed to velcro (I velcro-on my flightsuit rank)  I looks GOOD, and in no way could be confused with USAF.  Let's can the 'short-shorts,' and make a flight uniform change that is professional-looking and easy on the wallet.

Well, Sage Green is what they, they being the military supply system,  call the color of the green flight suits.
Don't believe me, take a look at the label in your flight suit sometime.

Plus  Foliage is more of a  Grey-green. It's the background color for the ACU.

blackrain

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 25, 2008, 04:07:58 PM
Quote from: IceNine on September 25, 2008, 03:57:14 PM
^^ I'm guessing it was just a slight mis speak.

It was probably an AF flight suit, it would have embroidered insignia sewn to it, instead of the plastic.

No biggie... at the mission in West Houston I saw several 'unauthorized' variations of grade insignia worn; some wore AF subdued blue (now there were a couple of RealAirForce® types there, so they're OK), one wore bright on sage green, and another wore bright on dark blue with the green bag. The bright on dark blue actually doesn't look too bad, and it might satisfy the AF's desire to make us distinctive while retiring plastic encased grade.

Some of the OK Wing contingent wore blue flight suits that were about a shade lighter than the current navy blue. May have been through plenty of washes...  ;D

Anybody know if they are going to allow the bright on dark blue as a sew on for the green bag. I have both the blue and green suits and sewing the same on both would be a lot simpler. Plastic encased is the worst for snagging  on any kind of over shoulder strap.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: blackrain on September 30, 2008, 08:55:50 AMAnybody know if they are going to allow the bright on dark blue as a sew on for the green bag. I have both the blue and green suits and sewing the same on both would be a lot simpler. Plastic encased is the worst for snagging  on any kind of over shoulder strap.

It's not been taken up with the CAP National Board. Don't hold your breath expecting quick approval from the RealAirForce®. Though I've already seen some who have taken matters into their own hands and used the bright on dark blue cloth grade insignia on the green bag. It doesn't look bad but it is unauthorized. Likewise, bright on OD cloth is also unauthorized on the green bag.

Subdued RealAirForce® blue/brown on OD - that'll never happen for Ma Blue's red-headed stepchildren.  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DNall

Any uniform change, particularly to AF-style uniforms, takes at least a year to get done, and can be 3-4 years. that\'s if everyone in the process approves. You can complain about that process - everyone else does - but it\'s what we got... SO, no, color on blue background is not fixing to be authorized on the green flight suit for quite a while.

blackrain

Quote from: DNall on October 01, 2008, 12:55:23 AM
Any uniform change, particularly to AF-style uniforms, takes at least a year to get done, and can be 3-4 years. that\'s if everyone in the process approves. You can complain about that process - everyone else does - but it\'s what we got... SO, no, color on blue background is not fixing to be authorized on the green flight suit for quite a while.

True. Nothing in the military approval process happens quickly. It's funny but we have a large number of private security companies who use the Sage Green flight suit as a normal duty uniform on convoys given the threat from IEDs, car bombs and the obvious post blast fire hazard. They put all manner of patches and insignia on it. I'm suprised Big Blue isn't suing for copyright infringment ;D
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

DNall

they aren't governed by the AF, the AF is not by law charged with oversight of them, nor is any of their clothing protected by law as a military uniform for which wearing when not authorized constitutes a federal crime of imitating an officer/member of the military or one of it's designated auxiliaries.   

changing an official uniform of the united states is somewhat different than some yahoo civilian doing what they feel like without oversight.

O-Rex

This may seem a little "out there," but I've come across some pretty creative folks on these threads:

Given the shortage of plastic-encased ranks, with no relief or change in the near future, has anyone tried to make them?

When you look that them, they are little more than rank sealed in some kind of heat-bonded clear vinyl sheeting. 

I was thinking that even if you didn't the ability to "heat-bond" the plastic, one could probably pin actual metal rank to piece of velcro, bend back sew a square of flexible durable clear plastic and velcro it onto the suit (don't have to worry about sweat condensation, doesn't happen when you velcro the rank.)

Anyway, you all get the idea... 

Has anyone been successful in making something that DIDN'T look home made?

jimmydeanno

I was thinking about just buying some metal grade insignia and some 12 mil vinyl.  Cut the vinyl to size (only one piece (no sandwich)) sew it on three sides.  Slide the metal insignia in, sew the fourth side.  It would leave the underside open so you wouldn't get the greenhouse affect...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

O-Rex

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 01, 2008, 08:23:32 PM
I was thinking about just buying some metal grade insignia and some 12 mil vinyl.  Cut the vinyl to size (only one piece (no sandwich)) sew it on three sides.  Slide the metal insignia in, sew the fourth side.  It would leave the underside open so you wouldn't get the greenhouse affect...

Exactly!

Great minds think alike: where do you get 12 mil clear vinyl?

(see, I know someone would come up with something  ;D)

Tags - MIKE

MIKE

You'd need 2 pairs of 1st Lt bars to make one set of Capt bars that would sneak by.  Not sure if there is a size difference either.
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

Quote from: O-Rex on October 01, 2008, 08:53:44 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 01, 2008, 08:23:32 PM

Exactly!

Great minds think alike: where do you get 12 mil clear vinyl?

(see, I know someone would come up with something  ;D)

Tags - MIKE

I'm pretty sure you can get it at any fabric store, I haven't actually went and aquired the pieces yet to see if it's feasible...

Isn't it what all those people put on their couch to make sure no one spills anything on it?  ;D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill