Starch... How do I Overcome the Fustration?

Started by 356cadet, September 16, 2008, 12:32:54 AM

JoeTomasone

Quote from: 356cadet on September 16, 2008, 12:32:54 AM
Is there an alternative or easier way to give the uniform a starched look, without starching, leaving excellent creases down the middle and everything?

Keep in mind that military creases are prohibited per 39-1 - if that's not what you meant by "down the middle", I apologize.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: JoeTomasone on September 16, 2008, 07:02:01 AM
Quote from: 356cadet on September 16, 2008, 12:32:54 AM
Is there an alternative or easier way to give the uniform a starched look, without starching, leaving excellent creases down the middle and everything?

Keep in mind that military creases are prohibited per 39-1 - if that's not what you meant by "down the middle", I apologize.

I think he means the creases of the trousers and the sleeves of the blouse.

You can use the iron on a high heat, with the steam on.  It takes a little while, your creases are not as permanent, but it works.

MSgt Van

I'm a liquid starch guy.  I throw the bdu's in the washer on the "rinse only" cycle (after they're washed) and dump in a bottle of starch.  I use the lowest water level.
After that they air-dry for an evening and I press them with heavy steam. I run a rinse cycle after I'm done to clean out the washer (lest MrsSgt Van gets on my case).

Rangercap

....and if you want a crease that you can cut yourself with, rub the inside of your uniform creases with a bar of soap - one pass is usually good - dry, of course. Then iron one more time. Also, stay out of the rain.

Brian
PAWG

DNall

^ last couple suggestions are among the many tricks I've heard. Also, commercial concentrated starch that you mix yourself in a spray bottle.

Quote from: lordmonar on September 16, 2008, 01:33:54 AM
Take your uniform to the dry cleaners.
What I do.

Quote from: Eclipse on September 16, 2008, 01:36:04 AM
Quote from: Rotorhead on September 16, 2008, 01:21:57 AM
Didn't we just go round and round on this board elsewhere re: "no starch to be used on BDUs"?

The discussion has been had a number of times.

The manufacturer indicates not to starch BDUs because:

The starch (along with some detergents with "whitening" agents) may fluoresce in infrared light.
     Not an issue in CAP.

Under "normal" wear conditions (i.e. 24x7) starch may reduce the life of the material.
     Not an issue in CAP.

There are several camps - those that starch, those that think its unnecessary for a field uniform, and those that have several uniforms - some for garrison wear that are starched sharp, and some for field wear that are pressed w/o starch.

98% of the AF is not a field service. Most wear BDUs as an office uniform & it's expected to be pressed with sharp creases & shiny boots just like blues are expected to look squared away. For airmen that live in both enviros, they had garrison & field versions of the uniform - which is pretty much the situation CAP is in, w/o the money or need to have 6 sets of BDUs.

The newer ABU & ACU are not to be ironed because it jacks up the IR property of the fabric even w/o starch. They're not to even be dried on high heat. That necessitates a crappier looking uniform for garrison enviros. However, I will still assure you troops have both garrison & field versions of the uniform. When they get worn out & look bad they get worn to the field. When they are nice & new & I need to look like a professional in a garrison environment, then they get taken to the cleaners.