Starch... How do I Overcome the Fustration?

Started by 356cadet, September 16, 2008, 12:32:54 AM

356cadet

I've been using starch for quite a while now, both on my BDUs and Blues. It's recently occured to me that starch + uniform = trouble.

Every time, I spray that starch on my uniform. I wait a couple to a few minutes for it to soak in, to avoid flaking, as it says on the bottle. BUT!... when I go to iron it, it flakes nonetheless. This is extremely fustrating, especially on my Blues pants.

Is there an alternative or easier way to give the uniform a starched look, without starching, leaving excellent creases down the middle and everything?

Open for suggestions, not comments. Thank you.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

356cadet

IceNine

Don't put some much on at a time.

thin layers just like shoe polish
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

356cadet

^ That's what I do. I make a quick sweep over what I'm ironing. An added bonus, that starch bottle says that, too. I read up on things.  ::)  Good suggestion, though.

MIKE

How do you overcome the frustration... Stop using.  Starch is so 20th century.
Mike Johnston

356cadet

^ Any alternatives, sir... that are cheap or free?

DC

What type of starch are you using? Like in an aerosol can, or a spray bottle?

I've been using the aerosol stuff for years with no problems, pretty much in the manner you described. A light coat of starch, let it sit for a few minutes, then iron it in. The only side effect I have noted is a slight build up on my iron over time, but it cleans off with a little scrubbing...

I use Faultless Heavy Starch, it comes in a blue can...

Pumbaa

Your iron might be on too hot of a setting.

I iron a shirt every AM for work.  Make sure you match the temp setting to the materials you iron.  I also add water to my iron to actually steam it too.

Rotorhead

Didn't we just go round and round on this board elsewhere re: "no starch to be used on BDUs"?

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

IceNine

Quote from: Pumbaa on September 16, 2008, 01:13:43 AM
Your iron might be on too hot of a setting.

I iron a shirt every AM for work.  Make sure you match the temp setting to the materials you iron.  I also add water to my iron to actually steam it too.

Very valid point.  I always use steam for my uniforms.

You may also try a pressing cloth, cheap and I think they still have them at Wal-Mart

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

♠SARKID♠

THE EASY ANSWER TO AVOIDING STARCH FLAKES
Iron your uniform from the inside, then any flakes be inside your blouse and not visible on the outside.

IceNine

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Rotorhead on September 16, 2008, 01:21:57 AM
Didn't we just go round and round on this board elsewhere re: "no starch to be used on BDUs"?

The discussion has been had a number of times.

The manufacturer indicates not to starch BDUs because:

The starch (along with some detergents with "whitening" agents) may fluoresce in infrared light.
     Not an issue in CAP.

Under "normal" wear conditions (i.e. 24x7) starch may reduce the life of the material.
     Not an issue in CAP.

There are several camps - those that starch, those that think its unnecessary for a field uniform, and those that have several uniforms - some for garrison wear that are starched sharp, and some for field wear that are pressed w/o starch.

Members of both the compensated services and CAP weighed-in with arguments on both sides, neither negating the other to a conclusion.

This "Eternal September Moment" brought to you by the lack of use of the SEARCH key...

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Easiest way is to turn the heat down on the iron. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Slim

I use Sta Flo liquid starch, mix it with water, in a spray bottle, to suit your needs.  I prefer heavy starch, so I mix the starch and water about 1.5:1.

I take my BDUs, turn them inside out, then spray them with starch, just about to the point of soaking them.  Then, turn them right side out and spray the pockets, collar, and the areas of reinforcement on the arms and legs.

Then, hang them up and let them air dry (overnight usually works for me).  This will mean rigging the waist of the pants on a hanger so they hang straight (don't fold them over).  Once dry, steam iron or spritz with water and iron.

I use the same method on my aviator shirts with great success, and no flaking.

I would not suggest starching service dress pants as they're either 100% polyester or a polyester/wool blend.  For these, just use a press cloth (a wet, white washcloth works well).  Without a press cloth, you'll essentially burn the fabric, which will give it a shiny appearance.

I've used the same method with Faultless spray starch, and it works the same way.  Only problem is that it takes a lot of spray starch to get the same results, about half a can to do one set of BDUs.

Slim

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Slim on September 16, 2008, 02:02:49 AM
I use Sta Flo liquid starch, mix it with water, in a spray bottle, to suit your needs.  I prefer heavy starch, so I mix the starch and water about 1.5:1.

I take my BDUs, turn them inside out, then spray them with starch, just about to the point of soaking them.  Then, turn them right side out and spray the pockets, collar, and the areas of reinforcement on the arms and legs.

Then, hang them up and let them air dry (overnight usually works for me).  This will mean rigging the waist of the pants on a hanger so they hang straight (don't fold them over).  Once dry, steam iron or spritz with water and iron.

I use the same method on my aviator shirts with great success, and no flaking.

I would not suggest starching service dress pants as they're either 100% polyester or a polyester/wool blend.  For these, just use a press cloth (a wet, white washcloth works well).  Without a press cloth, you'll essentially burn the fabric, which will give it a shiny appearance.

I've used the same method with Faultless spray starch, and it works the same way.  Only problem is that it takes a lot of spray starch to get the same results, about half a can to do one set of BDUs.

I've done pretty much the same thing, except I use the starch on the outside and then hang overnight to dry.  For my cover (hat) i use a coffee can, and soak the cover (hat) until it drips, it takes about 2 days to dry, but I like the look.  And no I don't put it in my cargo pocket either......

356cadet

Wow, alot of suggestion during my three-hour absense. Very nice suggestions  :clap:. I thank you all and I will take most of these into practice, especially the last two (starch, hang over night, iron). Again, thank you for supporting, yet, another cadet!  ;D

hatentx

I have done Staflow for years.  I have done it the way described or have placed the starch in the washer while washing the on a medium heat in the dryer.  Then pull them out to iron.  This keeps you from having to hang them over night or two.  Inside out or not never really noticed a difference.  I am now lazy and just give them to the cleaners.