Main Menu

SM NCOs

Started by hatentx, September 14, 2008, 12:55:01 AM

hatentx

So I was reading in another post about SM keeping their NCO rank in CAP.  I do realize that it is just a matter of paper work to do so and not many choose do this track what are the actual benefits of doing so.  I recall reading someone that you can not be a SQD Commander as an NCO and your NCO time does not count towards promotion, Such as I am a SM now and if I were to go NCO for a year or so and then decide to go to the officer track for what ever reason I would have to wait the 3 more months as a SM before getting the 2LT.  So why does our program have this and what is the purpose behind it all.

RiverAux

The upper levels of CAP are looking hard at re-designing the CAP NCO program.  Right now there is absolutely no stated purpose for senior member NCOs.  That may change, or it may not.  If you're thinking of becoming a CAP officer later I can't see any reason to spend any time as an NCO as things stand now.

hatentx

Sure I understand that if I planned on changing at one point in time, but what if you need a SQD Commander and the only person available is the CAP Staff SGT or what ever.  The Commander must be a Officer so the NCO would then have to change.  I am interested in what role NCO would play in CAP on the big side of things.  If the keep it only prior service as NCO then there really isnt much of a reason to make a actual place for them as I am sure there are only a handful of NCO's running around.  Unless you opened up the NCO track to any SM then I can see that opening up a huge can of worms. 

PHall

I did the NCO thing for a couple of years, went back to the officer grade so I wouldn't have to put up with the BS.

I was the Deputy Commander for Cadets at a Composite Squadron and there were actually some folks who said that I could not hold that position as a NCO.

Of course they could not show me anything in the regs to back up their position.

If you do the NCO thing be prepared to have to explain yourself, alot....

hatentx

What sorta BS did you really have to deal with.  As far as I can tell CAP really isnt worried about the grade you hold.  It actually does nothing for you other than you PD and make you feel more important.  It isnt going to change my pay to be an officer in CAP.  I dont think it was anything I was truly considering just for the fact of making my life simple.  But I am just interested in knowing what there is.  In the Regs I could find little to no references to NCO in CAP other than the cadet program.

RiverAux

How does being a CAP NCO make anything more simple?  You're still going to be expected to be as active as anyone else.  You're going to be expected to take on staff officer jobs just like anyone else.  The only thing simple about it is that you only have to sew rank on your uniform once since you can't promote as an NCO as things stand now, though you are under no obligation to promote as an officer either.  You could sew the CAP cutouts on your BDUs and stay a senior member without grade forever if you wanted. 

hatentx

Yeah I get that but along the lines of finding CAP NCO shoulder boards... and that sorta logistical stuff. 

RiverAux

In that area you're better off being an officer as all that stuff is going to be easily available.

Personally, I think that that there is an element of vanity or a desire to be different among those who choose to be CAP NCOs. 

hatentx

I guess I was kinda thinking the same thing.  That is why I was wondering why exactly they are there and what is the advantage/disadvantage as well

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: RiverAux on September 14, 2008, 02:53:55 AM
Personally, I think that that there is an element of vanity or a desire to be different among those who choose to be CAP NCOs. 

Its called pride in what you have actually accomplished rather than what they gave you out of the grab bag just because you showed up at some one day course and paid membership fees for a couple of years.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

AvroArrow

Just wondering...

If they were to "edit" the SM NCO program stuff, what would they change most likely?

Obviously we can't predict and/or read National's minds, but on an estimate, do you think they'd "make it more worth while and exciting" for SMs who choose that path or just make it "worse and more of a grief" for them?

I know a SM NCO in MOWG (he's a MSgt) and he doesn't seem to be totally unhappy since he retired as that grade from the USAF in '89 and is used to be a Senior NCO. Maybe the NCO program is just for "old timers" that are retired sergeants/petty officers that don't want to be officers even in CAP?

Avro

RiverAux

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on September 14, 2008, 11:41:47 AM

Its called pride in what you have actually accomplished rather than what they gave you out of the grab bag just because you showed up at some one day course and paid membership fees for a couple of years.
Thanks for proving my point.   

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: RiverAux on September 14, 2008, 02:14:23 PM
Quote from: Trung Si Ma on September 14, 2008, 11:41:47 AM

Thanks for proving my point.   

Don't see how I proved your point.  Pride in an actual accomplishment is not vain.

RiverAux

I'm not going to get too far off track here, so I'll let it go. 

citizensoldier

In that area you're better off being an officer as all that stuff is going to be easily available.

Vanity may be a factor as you say, but it may also be an honest assessment of who we are.  In some ways being an officer makes me feel pretentious.
Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009

hatentx

Ok but besided pride in your acomplishment what advantage or purpose do you serve as a CAP NCO

citizensoldier

Quote from: hatentx on September 15, 2008, 01:39:03 AM
Ok but besided pride in your acomplishment what advantage or purpose do you serve as a CAP NCO

I am trying to figure that out myself before I join.  I am a NCO in the Army National Guard.  I know what I do there.   I am curious how it functions CAP side.

Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009

hatentx

Quote from: citizensoldier on September 15, 2008, 01:57:24 AM

I am trying to figure that out myself before I join.  I am a NCO in the Army National Guard.  I know what I do there.   I am curious how it functions CAP side.

It was your comment in another post that got me thinking again about it.

arajca

The difference between what an Officer and an NCO do in CAP is...nothing. Unlike the military, there are no NCO jobs and the only jobs that require being an Officer are Commanders.

NCO's in CAP cannot promote, unless you promote in the military, or become an officer.

Trung Si Ma

Maybe you should turn this around and ask why you need to be an officer to function in CAP.  It is very possible to do the entire CAP program as a SM - if you get waivers for the grade requirement for RSC and NSC.  I don't know if they do those anymore, but we had a SM in my NSC class back in the early 80's.  Granted, he was a retired VADM who didn't want to be a LtCol, but he was still an SM.

Cav to ya