When to wear a service coat?

Started by 356cadet, September 08, 2008, 11:05:48 PM

356cadet

I've been confused with this for a while. I'm a candidate for 1st Sgt in my squadron and this has ben a disputed fact. I believe our previous 1st Sgt had said that service coats are only for the Cadet CC and DC.

What do your squadrons do when it comes to wearing service coats?

jimmydeanno

The service coat isn't a uniform accessory for a select group of people, nor is it regulated as to who can wear them.

The service coat should be worn by anyone who is going to a function or event at which a business suit would be appropriate attire.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

The function or event, as well as the unit commander for that function or event, set the expected uniform.  So, you may have a change of command ceremony or a wing conference where the commander instructs all attending to wear service dress blues if they have it.  On the other hand, you may be attending a field workshop which instructs all present to wear the AF-style or corporate field uniform.  It's a matter of function.

A commander who restricts wear of service dress to a certain set of people may well be within his or her authority, but I don't personally see the use or practicality.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on September 08, 2008, 11:12:18 PMA commander who restricts wear of service dress to a certain set of people may well be within his or her authority, but I don't personally see the use or practicality.

Kind of like only letting the Kool Kids wear them black t-shirts or the special hats... or ties. I've heard them all.

The truth is, 11 out of 10 times cadets don't need service dress.  You gotta ask yourself... Self, do I really need to wear service dress to my meeting of the Podunkville Cadet Squadron in the church basement?
Mike Johnston

DC

In my squadron wear of Service Dress is restricted to formal events such as banquets, funerals, etc. It is also permissable to wear service dress when being promoted or presented with an award. Usually in this case the cadet will wear their service dress to the meeting, then change into the UOD afterwards.

We don't restrict who can and cannot wear the uniform, but the Cadet Staff are among the only people in the squadron who have purchased the uniform. But, we do have a few junior cadets who have been able to procure Service Dress.

CAPM 39-1 identifies uniforms as being restricted to SMs only, Cadets only, and those meeting grooming and weight standards only, there are no discrimations based on rank or position.

Major Carrales

It depends on the occasion.  For example, as a PAO I use it for television interviews, public meetings or when I represent the squadron at given functions (as per the regs).

I also wear it to Wing/Region/National conferences or for occasions fitting (like SLS and CLC) where I might isntruct.  Should I ever testify before City Council, Congress/State Legislature I will wear it. 

Incidentally, A late friend who was a legislator told me he found it sort of insulting to wear BDUs (fatigues) to such places.  When reporting to seats of governments, he maintained, a business like apprearance was necessary.  To him that meant a service coat, or at least long sleeve service shirt and tie. 

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JoeTomasone

Just so happens I read this section while studying for my AFIADL 0013:

"Men's Service Dress Uniform

This uniform is worn for ceremonies, parades, reviews, official visits, change of command, or when prescribed by appropriate authority. "