Air Force PTU for PT...

Started by 356cadet, September 03, 2008, 11:26:26 PM

DNall

MIKE

^ Then please provide an appropriate cite that supports your claim.
Mike Johnston

A.Member

Quote from: MIKE on September 21, 2008, 12:52:21 AM
^ Then please provide an appropriate cite that supports your claim.
Are you asking him to prove a negative?   If it doesn't exist, how does he produce evidence?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

DNall

The AFI states rules for the PTU. CAPM39-1 doesn't classify a PTU, just "appropriate attire." If people need to verify that by reading the exact quote, then they are welcome to spend their time skimming the reg(s). I won't be using my time for that, and I won't be quoting regs to bash people about the head with in order to prove my knowledge of them as if it helps my self-esteem. If someone else has the time to do that, then they're more than welcome.

jrsvf

Yes we are the Air Force Auxiliary and the argument of Aux On and Aux off can be argued until we all get 30 year pins!!!  The fact of the matter is that as the Auxiliary, we are NOT the Air Force. That is why the uniform board, which is stronhly governed by the USAF, has kep our uniforms distinctly different from the USAF.  I refer you to the Air Force blue uniform. Our shoulder boards are Gray with CAP on them, our cadet grades are distinctly different than that of the Air Force, everything on our Air Force style uniform is just different enough to NOT to be confused with active duty personnel.  If you want to wear the Air Force uniform, enlist or go to the Academy.  I am retired USAF respect the fact that the Air Force uniform is for the Air Force. The CAP uniform is for CAP.  A lot of careful consideration has been given by the USAF and if you know anything about CAP's history, you would be thankful that we are still allowed to wear the Air Force blue uniform. 
As for the regulation I refer you to Chapter 1 of the 39-1 as follows:
1-1. Policy. CAP members are authorized to wear CAP distinctive uniforms as well as
uniforms similar to the U.S. Air Force. Civil Air Patrol uses distinctive emblems, insignia, and badges to identify individuals wearing the AF-style uniforms as CAP members. Wear of the AF-style uniforms, as well as the insignia, badges, and devices worn on these uniforms are as prescribed by the Commander, CAP-USAF, with the approval of Headquarters USAF.

Again, we are wearing these uniforms with the permission of the Air Force as long as we do not represent ourselves as the Air Force.
Capt Jim Flaviani, CAP
Deputy Commander, Group 4, GAWG
USAF (Ret)

O-Rex

Do any regs currently prohibit it?  No.  But just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean that you should. I can see USAF personnel bristling if they see CAP members wearing them: I would.

IMHO, out of courtesy and respect I wouldn't wear it, OR I would sew an CAP organizational patch of some sort over the USAF insignia, if it will cover it.

There is a very similar commercial PT suit out there, can't remember the website, but it is the same color as the official USAF PT uniform, with the reflective stripe straight across the jacket instead of forming a 'V.' 

Given what's currently available, gray sweats are SO 1980's.

Would be nice if Vanguard could procure and sell, but that's another can of worms altogether. . . . . .

DC

Quote from: O-Rex on September 22, 2008, 12:18:40 PM
Do any regs currently prohibit it?  No.  But just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean that you should. I can see USAF personnel bristling if they see CAP members wearing them: I would.

IMHO, out of courtesy and respect I wouldn't wear it, OR I would sew an CAP organizational patch of some sort over the USAF insignia, if it will cover it.

There is a very similar commercial PT suit out there, can't remember the website, but it is the same color as the official USAF PT uniform, with the reflective stripe straight across the jacket instead of forming a 'V.' 

Given what's currently available, gray sweats are SO 1980's.

Would be nice if Vanguard could procure and sell, but that's another can of worms altogether. . . . . .

I shudder to think what they would try to charge for a 'modern' PT uniform. The current one they have is $20 just for the shorts! As far as I can tell they are regular blue shorts with the CAP seal silk screened on.

Tubacap

and they are very uncomfortable!
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Tubacap on September 23, 2008, 12:22:31 AM

It would make to much sense to have them be comfortable.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: NCO forever on September 23, 2008, 02:20:19 PM

Once you cut out the "fake underwear" that come standard (like a bathing suit) they aren't bad...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

notaNCO forever

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 23, 2008, 03:48:48 PM
Quote from: NCO forever on September 23, 2008, 02:20:19 PM

Once you cut out the "fake underwear" that come standard (like a bathing suit) they aren't bad...

What idiot thought of that they don't even make bathing suits like that anymore.

DNall

Just make sure you buy something to wear under that, cause I don't want to be anywhere around your situps if you don't.

Quote from: jrsvf on September 22, 2008, 02:31:55 AM
Yes we are the Air Force Auxiliary and the argument of Aux On and Aux off can be argued until we all get 30 year pins!!!  The fact of the matter is that as the Auxiliary, we are NOT the Air Force. That is why the uniform board, which is stronhly governed by the USAF, has kep our uniforms distinctly different from the USAF.  I refer you to the Air Force blue uniform. Our shoulder boards are Gray with CAP on them, our cadet grades are distinctly different than that of the Air Force, everything on our Air Force style uniform is just different enough to NOT to be confused with active duty personnel.  If you want to wear the Air Force uniform, enlist or go to the Academy.  I am retired USAF respect the fact that the Air Force uniform is for the Air Force. The CAP uniform is for CAP.  A lot of careful consideration has been given by the USAF and if you know anything about CAP's history, you would be thankful that we are still allowed to wear the Air Force blue uniform. 
As for the regulation I refer you to Chapter 1 of the 39-1 as follows:
1-1. Policy. CAP members are authorized to wear CAP distinctive uniforms as well as
uniforms similar to the U.S. Air Force. Civil Air Patrol uses distinctive emblems, insignia, and badges to identify individuals wearing the AF-style uniforms as CAP members. Wear of the AF-style uniforms, as well as the insignia, badges, and devices worn on these uniforms are as prescribed by the Commander, CAP-USAF, with the approval of Headquarters USAF.

Again, we are wearing these uniforms with the permission of the Air Force as long as we do not represent ourselves as the Air Force.

Jim, you're wrong. First there is no such thing as a CAP uniform board. Not normally anyway. It's just national board making policy willy nilly & tossing things back at AF in no particular priority order with 18 billion requests rather than one consolidated one. That gets approved or denied by the AETC/CC, not a uniform board, which he has on the AF side to advise him on AF policies & what the troops want. It's a freaking terrible system - one of the worst possible ways to make govt policy that could even be conceived of. My point is, if you think there's some well thought out time intensive process by the AF or leadership within CAP that got us where we are today & intentionally wants policy to be what it is now, that couldn't be further from the truth.

However, specific to the PTU. It is not an authoritative uniform. It may be freely worn by civilians. It may be worn by mil or civilians in pieces & parts, on duty or off, for PT or not. It is ONLY considered a uniform when directed to wear by command in place of a uniform (for PT, medical processing, etc). If not directed to wear, it is not a uniform. In no way is it representing oneself as being in the AF, nor would it in any way be a problem or illegal unless you run up to the gate of a base & tell them you're an AF officer (when you're not) but forgot your ID. They'll put you in jail for that, but it won't be because of what you're wearing.