'Registering' for specialty tracks

Started by sburrows, September 03, 2008, 01:48:08 PM

sburrows

Being new to CAP, I am looking forward to advancing skills or knowledge in the 'specialty tracks'. It's probably just my 'eternal student' perspective.....

My question: how to I 'register' for a track(s)????
Stephen Burrows, Capt., CAP
Stratford Eagles Squadron; CTWG
Squadron Finance Officer
Squadron Assistant Medical Officer

davedove

First, you need to talk with your Professional Development Officer and your Commander.  Together, you will decide what staff position is best for you and the unit.

Once that is decided, the PDO or Commander will go online and enroll you in the appropriate specialty track.

From that point, study the pamphlet for your specialty track to see how to progress.

It would be a good idea to look over the different specialty tracks to see what each entails.

Just as a side note, if your unit is small, you may be asked to fill more than one position.  In that case, you can advance in multiple tracks at the same time.  I can't say that I recommend that for a new member, but it could happen.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

davedove

I just noticed in your signature that you've been assigned to the Finance officer slot.  Once that occurred, you Commander (or PDO) should have assigned you to the Finance Officer specialty track with a rating of 'None', meaning you are assigned to the track, but have not yet achieved the Technician rating.  The main reason for doing this is to establish a starting date for your specialty track advancement.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

However, if you can't decide, or haven't decided on "something" by the time an SLS comes your way,
have the PDO pick something random with a rating of "none".

Unless you have a "declared" track, SLS/CLC credit won't post.

Making a change or adjustment to that later is simple.

"That Others May Zoom"

sburrows

Quote from: davedove on September 03, 2008, 02:04:01 PM
I just noticed in your signature that you've been assigned to the Finance officer slot.  Once that occurred, you Commander (or PDO) should have assigned you to the Finance Officer specialty track with a rating of 'None', meaning you are assigned to the track, but have not yet achieved the Technician rating.  The main reason for doing this is to establish a starting date for your specialty track advancement.

Quote from: davedove on September 03, 2008, 02:04:01 PM
I just noticed in your signature that you've been assigned to the Finance officer slot.  Once that occurred, you Commander (or PDO) should have assigned you to the Finance Officer specialty track with a rating of 'None', meaning you are assigned to the track, but have not yet achieved the Technician rating.

davedove:

thanks for the reply.

Yes, that is correct. I have been 'named' as finance officer.

My commander mentioned the Form 2A, is that how it becomes 'official'?

I assume once that is submitted, he will assign me to that track.

How about other tracks if I wish to become knowledgable about a different track?

Also, how do I progress? I have the Finance Officer document "duties in CAPP 202" but not sure from there to to make progress. Is there testing, online, other??

thanks!

Squadron Finance Officer

sburrows

Quote from: Eclipse on September 03, 2008, 02:10:37 PM
However, if you can't decide, or haven't decided on "something" by the time an SLS comes your way,
have the PDO pick something random with a rating of "none".

Unless you have a "declared" track, SLS/CLC credit won't post.

Making a change or adjustment to that later is simple.

pardon my 'new-ness' but what is an SLS?
Squadron Finance Officer

MIKE

CAPF 2A assigns you to the duty position, not the specialty track.

Edit: Squadron Leadership School.
Mike Johnston

Phil Hirons, Jr.

QuoteAlso, how do I progress? I have the Finance Officer document "duties in CAPP 202" but not sure from there to to make progress. Is there testing, on line, other??

The CAPP 202 has a check list for the Tech rating. Once you believe you have accomplished all the requirements see your PD Officer or Commander. Finance has no testing requirements.

Posting the NONE rating is more important now. Where the CAPP XXX dictates a time requirement, the on line system will not let you post Tech if the NONE is not old enough

davedove

Quote from: sburrows on September 03, 2008, 02:38:16 PM

My commander mentioned the Form 2A, is that how it becomes 'official'?

I assume once that is submitted, he will assign me to that track.

How about other tracks if I wish to become knowledgable about a different track?

Also, how do I progress? I have the Finance Officer document "duties in CAPP 202" but not sure from there to to make progress. Is there testing, online, other??

thanks!

Quote from: sburrows on September 03, 2008, 02:39:50 PM
pardon my 'new-ness' but what is an SLS?

Quote from: MIKE on September 03, 2008, 02:41:32 PM
CAPF 2A assigns you to the duty position, not the specialty track.

Edit: Squadron Leadership School.

Squadron Leadership School (SLS) is a two-day course that is required for completion of Level II of your professional development, which is a prerequisite for duty-performance promotion to Captain.

Mike is right, the CAPF 2A assigns you to the duty position.  This should be coupled with the Commander's action in eservices to assign you to the position.

Assignment to the specialty track also takes place on line.  Again the Commander or PDO must enter this, and the Commander approves.

As you progress in CAP, you may be assigned different or additional staff positions.  When you are, you need to be entered into the corresponding specialty track.

For instance, since I am both the Personnel and Professional Development Officer for my squadron, I am progressing in both specialty tracks.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

If you are being appointed as >the< Finance Manager for unit, you will also be required to perform an audit of finances, and sign a form or letter assuming responsibility.

There will also likely be authorizations and signature cards required by your Wing Banker Program.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Rivera

Quote from: phirons on September 03, 2008, 02:45:58 PM
The CAPP 202 has a check list for the Tech rating. Once you believe you have accomplished all the requirements see your PD Officer or Commander. Finance has no testing requirements.

I recommend that you document/save whatever things accomplish the listed requirements (at least until your signed off on the rating). Have your Professional Development Officer (PDO) or your On the Job Training supervisor, (OJT) if you have one, to sign/initial as you accomplish the tasks (or at least every few tasks). This will make verification painless when it comes time....

People forget including me... I'm sure I've made people repeat things because they didn't save proof that they did it. (Some things are rare, for example someone in personnel may not ever have to fill out a form 2b except to demonstrate they know how) If they don't save something with my signature/initial or the commanders saying that they saw it and that it was correct, they will be doing it again before I give them the rating...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org