Main Menu

PT uniform

Started by hatentx, August 25, 2008, 02:07:48 AM

hatentx

So I was wondering what other squadrons wear for PT.    I have seen in my own that it is really a mix of everything from AF PT shorts and a CAP related shirt, normal work out attire, to sadly jeans and a t shirt.  39-1  is silent on this matter as far as I can tell and God knows we dont need another authorized uniform, but I was just wondering what other squadrons have allowed or if any of the above uniform options mentioned above in not acceptable. 

DNall

39-1 is intentionally silent to keep required costs down. There is an authorized PT uniform avail for order, but most people don't bother. My unit does black shorts & black Sq or other CAP related shirt - which is stupid since they tend to run at night next to a road. Encampment does pretty much the same thing as I recall - I'm always in my Army PTs for that, so I don't remember off hand. Personally, I prefer NOT to have them in a black shirt, cause I want to make sure they put a clean one on with their BDUs instead of the same nasty thing - and you know how some of those younger kids can be about that.

afgeo4

We have them run in the basic "gym" clothes. The ones they use in school. Shorts/sweatpants with t-shirt/sweatshirt, socks and sneakers.

We keep the logos on shirts simple or military. Nothing offensive of course. Other than that, there's no good reason to require a purchase of uniforms for a couple of hours of PT a month.
GEORGE LURYE

CadetProgramGuy

Our unit will be Black t-shirt, Black Shorts, Road vest.  (We run on the street)

hatentx

is the AF PT shorts Kosher or is that a No-No

DNall

yeah sure. like I said, I wear my Army IPFU stuff for all the PT I do with CAP. There's no reason they couldn't wear it. It's just an unnecessary expense that I wouldn't necessarily want to encourage.

DC

Grey t-shirt, dark blue shorts. We will be having some squadron t-shirts made soon, they are tan, with our patch on the front, and some motivational stuff on the back. In the winter the cadets wear sweatshirts, we prefer plain grey, but we don't fuss over it, and they have the option of a black or dark blue watch cap.

We also make a point of making some sort of water container, whether a canteen, a camelbak, or just a bottle of water, part of the uniform. The cadets learn real quick to bring water for PT.  >:D

I have seen the stuff that Vanguard sells, the shirts look nice, and aren't priced that bad, but the shorts are like $20.. I refuse to pay that much when I can get the same thing minus the logo for $2 at WalMart...

DNall

Quote from: DC on August 25, 2008, 10:51:43 AM
We will be having some squadron t-shirts made soon, they are tan, with our patch on the front, and some motivational stuff on the back
Like "You know you're a CAP cadet if..."

QuoteVanguard sells...but the shorts are like $20.. I refuse to pay that much when I can get the same thing minus the logo for $2 at WalMart...
Plus a couple more & you can get your Sq patch or "CAP" printed on them.

DC

Quote from: DNall on August 25, 2008, 12:27:08 PM
Quote from: DC on August 25, 2008, 10:51:43 AM
We will be having some squadron t-shirts made soon, they are tan, with our patch on the front, and some motivational stuff on the back
Like "You know you're a CAP cadet if..."

QuoteVanguard sells...but the shorts are like $20.. I refuse to pay that much when I can get the same thing minus the logo for $2 at WalMart...
Plus a couple more & you can get your Sq patch or "CAP" printed on them.
Our DCC is a graphic artist, we can get almost any custom items we want through him at about half the price you would normally see. But, I don't see any reason to make the cadets buy a special uniform for PT. We fundraised for the t-shirts, they will each get one for free, with our current grey shirts it is prefered that it is plain, but as long as it's not offensive or anything it doesn't matter. Same thing with the shorts, they just need to be blue...

This is what the back of the shirts will look like:

davidsinn

Black Tshirt, Dark blue or black shorts and running shoes.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MIKE

Quote from: DC on August 25, 2008, 06:54:50 PM
This is what the back of the shirts will look like:

Get real.  Seriously.
Mike Johnston

DC

MIKE

Mike Johnston

DC

Quote from: MIKE on August 25, 2008, 07:09:54 PM
^ Obviously.
Perhaps you could explain your comment then.

Becks

Quote from: DC on August 25, 2008, 07:04:56 PM
Quote from: MIKE on August 25, 2008, 07:03:37 PM
Get real.  Seriously.
I don't follow..
Odd...I found it pretty easy to understand.

BBATW

DNall

okay kids, play nice.

hatentx

You pump me up HOOAH!!!!!

Pumbaa

This is going to be our PT t shirt...

We encourage a lot of running.

;D

Phil Hirons, Jr.

jb512

I'm leaving soon, but my last suggestion was to have everyone in black/blue shorts with a black t-shirt for staff and brown for everyone else.  They should already have that for their BDUs.

CadetProgramGuy

ok the t-shirt ideas.....

Blood......Wounds......Get some?  Good ideas, although outside looking in, you may want to re-think it.

The rest are jokes, I get those.

Personally our squadron shirts are "By air or by ground, you will be found"

Pumbaa

The only issue i have with black shirts comes into play in about a month or so.  In the NE we are getting into the dark hours during squadron meeting.  My concern would be visibility.  We tend to finish around dusk+

Hey I was not kidding about my T-Shirt design ;)

Tongue in cheek

JROB

For Visibility purposes our squadron offers the following: White T shirt with Black or Grey Shorts or Orange T shirt with Black shorts if you wear the white shirt you have to have a vest or PT belt and some cadets carry Chem lights.
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

jimmydeanno

My squadron doesn't have a set PT "uniform."  The only requirement is that you wear athletic clothing that is appropriate to the weather and is in good taste.

Without having to prescribe specific colors, the cadets, on their own usually choose to wear either black or grey shorts and our squadron t-shirt (black with our squadron logo).  So they pretty much uniformed themselves without any direction to do so.

Since we meet on an ANG Base there is a directive that if we are doing PT in the parking lots or on the road/sidewalk we need to wear a safety vest/belt, so we have a big bag of them that get handed out before we start to run.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DC

We always do the run first on PT night so it is light out. Our meetings start at 1800 though, most other squadrons I know of start at 1900, that could be the diferrence...

DNall

Yeah, we're 1900 as well and run down a road next to a restricted airport access road. Send a car down to mark the halfway & block traffic, ISR w/ them & the start point, the follow last man back w/ lights.

Still, I don't like black PT shirts, partially for visability & partially cause I don't want a color they can wear under BDUs - thereby get away w/ not changing shirts after PT. That's less of a problem at a mtg where they don't change, but it's an issue at encampment and some other cadet courses we do in the wing. I do like black Sq shirts expressly so they can be worn under BDUs.

If we do this again, and we may soon, I'm probably going to make staff shirts in black and cadet shirts in some other color (like blue).

Pumbaa

I am so glad my squadron is not the only one with the proverbial stinky problem!!!

I really hate scoring the sit and reach!!!!  OMG!!!  Don't these guys wash their socks ever!?!?!?!

356cadet

My squadron is basically the same as some of yours. We wear our black squadron shirts, with blue or black shorts. Myself, I wear the Air Force PT uniform, simply because it's flurescent at night, and, well, it looks "sexy" if I may comment.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: 356cadet on August 30, 2008, 12:18:12 AM
My squadron is basically the same as some of yours. We wear our black squadron shirts, with blue or black shorts. Myself, I wear the Air Force PT uniform, simply because it's flurescent at night, and, well, it looks "sexy" if I may comment.

Emphasis mine...

Dude, please don't comment........

On a more serious note, I can see the stinky issue, I can also see the one shirt issue with the bdu's

I'll have to give it some thought, maybe the local Air Guard unit has some PT Shirts to donate....

DNall

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on August 30, 2008, 04:09:25 AM
I'll have to give it some thought, maybe the local Air Guard unit has some PT Shirts to donate....
Used PT shirts? That sounds gross too. I don't know that ANG is issuing or it's buy your own w/ allotment.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: DNall on August 31, 2008, 09:35:27 PM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on August 30, 2008, 04:09:25 AM
Used PT shirts? That sounds gross too. I don't know that ANG is issuing or it's buy your own w/ allotment.

If you heard used, then I will slap myself.

I was hoping for new (surplus).  Then again, 10 bucks at walmart can fix that issue.

DNall

I didn't hear used, but unissued surplus for newly created items isn't going to happen. And like I said, I don't know if it's something unit supply is even carrying. Our units don't carry or issue PTs for instance. That's a member purchase item. It's not that I have a problem with you asking, but I'd save those requests up for BDUs & blues items as much as possible.

Their stuff is nice enough, as is the Army's, but Walmart works just fine. I wear a reflective belt too ($5), but wouldn't require that purchase of the kids.

smitjud

For the past couple years, at the AL/MS Encampment, we've issued PT shirts as well as black encampment shirts.  The PT uniform for our encampment program is the PT shirt we issue (which is similar to vanguards but we do ours in reflective ink and have the encampment crest on the back, also in reflective ink), blue shorts, and PT belt.  Because of the proliferation of these shirts and their popularity, several squadrons have adopted this uniform  (also allowing USAF PT shirts, the Vanguard shirt, or plain grey shirt)  and it's become the standard for all wing cadet activities involving PT.

JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

DNall

Quote from: smitjud on August 31, 2008, 10:15:35 PM
For the past couple years, at the AL/MS Encampment, we've issued PT shirts as well as black encampment shirts.  The PT uniform for our encampment program is the PT shirt we issue (which is similar to vanguards but we do ours in reflective ink and have the encampment crest on the back, also in reflective ink),...

what does that cost you?

TEAM SURGE

Back when my squadron had a bunch of cadets we were issued Property of US Air Force T-shirts. We had to wear those and black shorts. I don't think our squadron really has an actual set pt uniform.

Personally I think the black shorts and gray shorts look the best.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

DC

Quote from: DNall on August 31, 2008, 10:01:43 PM
I wear a reflective belt too ($5)
Where do you get these at that price? The cheapest ones I could find were $12 each.. I have wanted to get a bunch for my squadron for a while, just give them to the cadets for PT, and collect them afterwards.

On the occasion that we do have PT at night we usually have the cadets wear their orange vest from their ES gear, but those get in the way, and are generally annoying when running...

smitjud

Quote from: DNall on August 31, 2008, 10:22:20 PM
For the past couple years, at the AL/MS Encampment, we've issued PT shirts as well as black encampment shirts.  The PT uniform for our encampment program is the PT shirt we issue (which is similar to vanguards but we do ours in reflective ink and have the encampment crest on the back, also in reflective ink),...

what does that cost you?

I'll have to dig out the paperwork, it wasn't that much more than the non-reflective option though. I think our total cost for the shirts with printing was around $7 or $8 per shirt. 
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

smitjud

Quote from: DC on August 31, 2008, 11:43:16 PM
Where do you get these at that price? The cheapest ones I could find were $12 each.. I have wanted to get a bunch for my squadron for a while, just give them to the cadets for PT, and collect them afterwards.

On the occasion that we do have PT at night we usually have the cadets wear their orange vest from their ES gear, but those get in the way, and are generally annoying when running...

Ours were $5 a peice as well. We got ours from Sayre Enterprises.

http://www.sayre.theshoppe.com/

We bought 100 of them and they gave us government pricing, obviously tax exempt, and free shipping.  Pleasure to deal with these folks.
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

DC

Quote from: smitjud on August 31, 2008, 11:49:20 PM

Ours were $5 a peice as well. We got ours from Sayre Enterprises.

http://www.sayre.theshoppe.com/

We bought 100 of them and they gave us government pricing, obviously tax exempt, and free shipping.  Pleasure to deal with these folks.
I think something is wrong with their website, the home page comes up okay, but everytime I click a link there is a 404 error...

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I googled 'Sayre Reflective Belts' and this site came up, is this where you meant to send me?

shop.sayreinc.com/

smitjud

Thats them.  The other site must be old.

Here is who I dealt with and who you probably need to talk to for the government pricing.

PAM MASON

GOVT. SALES/CUST. SERV.

SAYRE ENTERPRISES, INC.

324 E. 32ND STREET

BUENA VISTA, VA. 24416

1-800-552-6064 EXT. 222

pmason@sayreinc.com

ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

DC

TEAM SURGE

Only road guards should have reflective belts
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

SarDragon

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on September 02, 2008, 01:41:27 AM

Whyzat? What's wrong with everyone having them, from a safety aspect?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DNall

Quote from: smitjud on August 31, 2008, 11:46:08 PM
For the past couple years, at the AL/MS Encampment, we've issued PT shirts...similar to vanguards but we do ours in reflective ink
what does that cost you?
I'll have to dig out the paperwork, it wasn't that much more than the non-reflective option though. I think our total cost for the shirts with printing was around $7 or $8 per shirt. 

Thx. I'll have to look into that with my shirt guy.

Where do you get these at that price? The cheapest ones I could find were $12 each..
PX 4.95 + tax. PM me a reminder and I'll check AAFES online, see if they have them there at that price.

DC

Quote from: DNall on September 02, 2008, 02:56:07 AM
Quote from: smitjud on August 31, 2008, 11:46:08 PM
For the past couple years, at the AL/MS Encampment, we've issued PT shirts...similar to vanguards but we do ours in reflective ink
what does that cost you?

Thx. I'll have to look into that with my shirt guy.

Where do you get these at that price? The cheapest ones I could find were $12 each..
PX 4.95 + tax. PM me a reminder and I'll check AAFES online, see if they have them there at that price.
I don't know anyone that can buy from AAFES Online... I'll never figure out why CAP personnel can go on bases with the purpose of going to the MCSS, but can't order from AAFES Online...

And it will cost the difference in gas to go to the nearest base.

Is there a reason only a few people should be safer than the rest? Would it not make more sense for everyone to be visible!?

DNall

Road guards should be identifiable from the rest of the formation. They're the head/tail lights for the formation, and will be running around separate from the big group of people, cutting across lanes & into intersections to stop/hold traffic. There's no rule, but in a perfect world everyone would wear a reflective PT belt, and road guards would also have vests. That's the SOP on a bunch of bases I've been to, but it varies by location & commander.

If vests is what you got, wear vests. If you want to invest in something, invest in vests w/ reflective strips on them. I like belts a lot more personally, but unless the location requires it or you just got money to blow, then I'd probably not do that.

brasda91

Quote from: DC on September 02, 2008, 04:48:19 AM

I don't know anyone that can buy from AAFES Online... I'll never figure out why CAP personnel can go on bases with the purpose of going to the MCSS, but can't order from AAFES Online...

I believe my Chaplain just ordered some dress blues from AAFES online or via the phone...humm.  I'll check with him and report back..if I don't forget  ;)
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on September 02, 2008, 04:48:19 AMI don't know anyone that can buy from AAFES Online... I'll never figure out why CAP personnel can go on bases with the purpose of going to the MCSS, but can't order from AAFES Online...

You can't use the online, but you can call them for anything uniform related.
http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?t=4960&highlight=aafes

"That Others May Zoom"

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: SarDragon on September 02, 2008, 02:26:42 AM

Whyzat? What's wrong with everyone having them, from a safety aspect?

Well at say an encampment where everybody runs as a flight, the road guards should be wearing reflective belts to stand out from the rest of the flight. I mean at a squadron that has cadets individual cadets doing PT, they may need a reflective belt, if it is dark.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

smitjud

When we do our warrior runs at encampment everyone has on PT belts and the road guards wear orange relective vests to make them stand out from the flight and for increased visibility while guarding an intersection.
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower