Main Menu

Blue Beret 2009

Started by 0, August 20, 2008, 05:23:44 PM

Does anyone know the date for next years Blue Beret?  I'm trying to plan next summer now that NESA and MAWG Encampment is all over.   :(

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

DC

That will probably be released in a few months when registration for NCSAs start.

jeders

Although if you want to get a rough idea, you can look at when AirVenture '09 is planned for and add a few days on either side. AV '09 is planned for July 27-August 2 according to the EAA website.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RickFranz

Quote from: jeders on August 20, 2008, 09:19:14 PM
Although if you want to get a rough idea, you can look at when AirVenture '09 is planned for and add a few days on either side. AV '09 is planned for July 27-August 2 according to the EAA website.
That is correct but you would need to add the week before the airshow starts to get the whole activity.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

jeders

Quote from: RickFranz on August 21, 2008, 09:45:18 AM
Quote from: jeders on August 20, 2008, 09:19:14 PM
That is correct but you would need to add the week before the airshow starts to get the whole activity.

Well yes, of course. I was just going for a very rough estimate.

Here ya go makin trouble again.  ;D
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RickFranz

Just remember:

We are not crazy, but we can drive you there!   ;D ;D ;D
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Becks

This year it was July 22nd to August 4th.
It is usually around these dates.

BBATW

winterg

NBB 09 : 22 Jul-3Aug  I think........ :)

BillB

Sun n Fun held at Lakeland FL, is just as large as Oshkosh. The same historic aircraft show up at both events. It would be an excellent 2nd Blue Beret activity for cadets except the dates of April 21-26 2009, are during the school year. A previous Florida Wing CC tried to get it established as the 2nd BB activity. It would be great for cadets that are home schooled. Roughly the same number of aircraft arrive as Lakeland and Oshkosh.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

winterg

Quote from: BillB on November 14, 2008, 12:35:41 PM
Sun n Fun held at Lakeland FL, is just as large as Oshkosh. The same historic aircraft show up at both events. It would be an excellent 2nd Blue Beret activity for cadets except the dates of April 21-26 2009, are during the school year. A previous Florida Wing CC tried to get it established as the 2nd BB activity. It would be great for cadets that are home schooled. Roughly the same number of aircraft arrive as Lakeland and Oshkosh.

While I will admit Sun n Fun is fun, I don't think it is on par with Oshkosh.  Sun n Fun boasts around 5,000 aircraft last I checked while Oshkosh is over 15,000.

Well, I just sent my application in.  Fingers crosssed.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Ozzy

I sent my ncsa application about a week ago. Applying for NBB also!
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

winterg

Beret 09 will be my third time.  It's a great time.  Hope to see you there.

itorrent

I'm also applying for NBB. It's my only chance at it.

It's gonna be fun to get there from CT...
C/SSgt Rodriguez-Torrent
399th Composite Squadron
NER-CT-042

ThorntonOL

capcadetwilliams, we already know the link and it's already been posted several times before and even has been posted once already in this thread. We don't need another link, the link already posted still works!
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

caprr275

also the deadline to apply has passed.

I applyed as a TACO this year... have to see what happens with that

itorrent

Quote from: caprr275 on January 19, 2009, 01:44:43 AM

I applied something around the secon day that NCSA applications came out. Good stuff, I really hope I can get in. Any suggestions from any members that have gone in previous years?
C/SSgt Rodriguez-Torrent
399th Composite Squadron
NER-CT-042

RickFranz

Quote from: itorrent on January 19, 2009, 01:06:52 PM

I applied something around the secon day that NCSA applications came out. Good stuff, I really hope I can get in. Any suggestions from any members that have gone in previous years?

I have been the last two years and the pictures you see on the web really don't do the event justis.  It is very hard to think of all those aircraft coming to one place and then leaving in short period of time.  If you get to come, you will have a good time, once you recover that is  ;D
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

jeders

Quote from: RickFranz on January 20, 2009, 06:01:32 AM
Quote from: itorrent on January 19, 2009, 01:06:52 PM

I have been the last two years and the pictures you see on the web really don't do the event justis.  It is very hard to think of all those aircraft coming to one place and then leaving in short period of time.  If you get to come, you will have a good time, once you recover that is  ;D

Those pictures also don't do justice to how crazy those flightline drivers are. Wait, was I not supposed to say anything about that. ;D

alamrcn

Apparently there are more benefits of going to Blue Beret than what NatCP tells you...

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

Apparently there are MANY benefits of going to Blue Beret than what NCP tells you...

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

caprr275

Im going to have my new camera there this year

winterg

Stay away from the Warbird girls............  8)

RogueLeader

Quote from: winterg on January 25, 2009, 06:55:29 AM

Just the Cadets or us old fogeies too?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

caprr275

Oooohhh I got some good stories from WIWAC (god... I feel old saying that) about the warbird girls 

But I don't want to give cadets reading this forum any ideas... they are bad stay away  ;)

isuhawkeye

lol,  i've got some great memories from Oshkosh over the years

does anyone remember

The password is.......  Swordfish

winterg

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 25, 2009, 06:01:06 PM
Quote from: winterg on January 25, 2009, 06:55:29 AM

Just the Cadets or us old fogeies too?

No rule against SM's but I still wouldn't recommend it.  Besides, as a SM there are plenty of oportunities to enjoy the activity that do not include the WB girls. :)

Becks

Shhh...what happens at NBB stays at NBB...and Packer's.

BBATW

isuhawkeye

I know this is about 2009, but was anyone here @ beret in 1999

N Harmon

Quote from: isuhawkeye on February 21, 2009, 06:54:54 PM
I know this is about 2009, but was anyone here @ beret in 1999

I was.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

isuhawkeye

us old fogies have just as much fun at beret as the cadets

Eclipse

The Airventure website also has future dates, so you can pretty much count on NBB being wrapped about these:

2010: July 26-August 1
2011: July 25-31
2012: July 23-29

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

OK, so what gives?  To hear it told from NBB's side of the house, CAP is an integral partner with EAA Airventure.

But checking over the Airventure website, CAP isn't shown anywhere, listed as a participant, listed as an exhibitor or partner, and the only "Aux" listed is the CG.

The only mention I can find is that we're on the approved media outlet list and one mention tangentially related to someone getting an award.

So...um....

"That Others May Zoom"

winterg

NCRblues

Who else is going this year? Im going as a tac! ;D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

LtCol057

Not going this year, but I went in 97. Would love to go back sometime.

NCRblues

I also need some help, does anyone know were to get the packing list for SM's and the other info like transportation from appelton airport? If anyone can point me in the right track that would be great, thanks!

jeders

SM packing list is the same as the cadet list. If you don't have that, then contact the activity director who will help you out. As far as transpo. from Appleton, they should have a van running there to pick people up, just make sure that the activity director knows what time you arrive their and flight number. Hope that helps.

NCRblues

it does, and i thank you very much.

jeders

No prob. I assume you're going as a TAC, be sure to pack extra sunscreen for the cadets that will undoubdetdly not have any. And make sure they wear it. I had a cadet last year who actually got sun burned just inside his ears.

NCRblues

i am going as a tac, and oh i planned to bring as much sunblock as possible (just got to figure out how to get it on the aircraft) :D also you would know this, staff has to arrive  the day before the cadets arrive correct?

jeders

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: NCRblues on April 28, 2009, 08:29:37 PM
i am going as a tac, and oh i planned to bring as much sunblock as possible (just got to figure out how to get it on the aircraft) :D also you would know this, staff has to arrive  the day before the cadets arrive correct?

Ship it, buy sams club online for local pickup.....

NCRblues

good idea thanks for all the help guys.

LtCol057

I wish I had thought of that when I went.  We took several trips to the local Wallyworld to get supplies. It almost became a daily sortie.

CadetProgramGuy

Isn't that a pre-requisite for MSA duties....I swear i saw Wal-Mart runs in there somewhere

NCRblues

Has anyone, cadets or SM, got a new 2009 packing list?

thatesguy

just go to the NBB '09 website, log in and on the right should be documents and the senior packing list should be right their. If not just click on of the documents and it will take you to a bank of documents and be sure to check all 3 pages of the documents.
NRAEMT, GA AEMT, PHTLS

NCRblues

I didnt get to make it this year, anyone that went, how did it go?

CadetProgramGuy

My inside source tells me that there were:

Over 200 cadets and Officers, approaching 250 I think, 12 Flights, AirVenture was 9% larger this year as well.

THE ROOSTER

Quote from: BillB on November 14, 2008, 12:35:41 PM
Sun n Fun is nothing compared to Oshkosh, how could you make that comparison.

Wolfman21

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on August 07, 2009, 07:43:47 AM

Over 200 cadets and Officers, approaching 250 I think, 12 Flights, AirVenture was 9% larger this year as well.

Wow, I'm wanting to go but I'm going to NESA this year instead of a basic encampment but, when I do get a Basic over with I'm going ASAP, I have heard a lot about it and love the Flight Line and GT activities
C/SrA Kidd
Element leader
GLR-KY-216
Ft. Campbell composite squadron
"EAGLES OF MERCEY"

ßτε

Quote from: Wolfman21 on May 14, 2010, 02:19:00 PM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on August 07, 2009, 07:43:47 AM

Wow, I'm wanting to go but I'm going to NESA this year instead of a basic encampment but, when I do get a Basic over with I'm going ASAP, I have heard a lot about it and love the Flight Line and GT activities
How are you going to NESA without a basic encampment? It is required for NESA as well.

a2capt

Re-read: ... "when I do get a Basic over with.. " I read it as envy, not "I'm doing it instead".

Wolfman21

C/SrA Kidd
Element leader
GLR-KY-216
Ft. Campbell composite squadron
"EAGLES OF MERCEY"

ßτε

Quote from: a2capt on May 14, 2010, 02:37:33 PM
Re-read: ... "when I do get a Basic over with.. " I read it as envy, not "I'm doing it instead".
Re-read:
Wow, I'm wanting to go [to NBB] but I'm going to NESA this year instead of a basic encampment but, when I do get a Basic over with I'm going [to NBB] ASAP, I have heard a lot about it and love the Flight Line and GT activities
I read it as he is going to NESA now instead of encampment because he cannot go to NBB until encampment is completed. I was pointing out that NESA also requires encampment.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: bte on May 14, 2010, 03:35:25 PM
Quote from: a2capt on May 14, 2010, 02:37:33 PM
Re-read:
Wow, I'm wanting to go [to NBB] but I'm going to NESA this year instead of a basic encampment but, when I do get a Basic over with I'm going [to NBB] ASAP, I have heard a lot about it and love the Flight Line and GT activities
I read it as he is going to NESA now instead of encampment because he cannot go to NBB until encampment is completed. I was pointing out that NESA also requires encampment.

Actually, this year when I registered I noticed a change on the BGSAR page that stated encampment was now "recommended", not required. It struck me as odd because NESA is an NCSA which requires an encampment for participation. Anyone want to shed some light?

ßτε

My mistake. It does say recommended instead of required.

DBlair

Quote from: bte on May 14, 2010, 04:00:49 PM

NESA doesn't require an encampment??? I thought all NCSAs required an encampment. If they did indeed drop the encampment requirement, I'm not a fan of that decision.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Spaceman3750

Quote from: DBlair on May 14, 2010, 06:04:39 PM
Quote from: bte on May 14, 2010, 04:00:49 PM

NESA doesn't require an encampment??? I thought all NCSAs required an encampment. If they did indeed drop the encampment requirement, I'm not a fan of that decision.

Like I said, I'm not quite sure what's going on there for that exact reason. They did in 2006, and that's the last time I looked until this year. Can any NESA staff shed light on the subject?