Who is having a Winter encampment

Started by flyguy06, August 12, 2008, 05:01:56 PM

DC

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2008, 12:59:32 PM
Ditto ILWG - two weekends in April.
I would think that a lot of the 'Encampment' atmosphere would be lost by having over several weekends, I know 52-16 says it can be done, but....

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on August 22, 2008, 03:07:24 PM
I would think that a lot of the 'Encampment' atmosphere would be lost by having over several weekends, I know 52-16 says it can be done, but....

The only difference is the pace - its much more akin to BMT (in the same way anything in CAP is "like" the military), in that there is little to no downtime. You're either eating, sleeping, doing, or in the head.

That puts a big chunk of pressure on staff to stay on schedule and target, otherwise, its the same curriculum.

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2008, 03:16:16 PM
Quote from: DC on August 22, 2008, 03:07:24 PM

The only difference is the pace - its much more akin to BMT (in the same way anything in CAP is "like" the military), in that there is little to no downtime. You're either eating, sleeping, doing, or in the head.

That puts a big chunk of pressure on staff to stay on schedule and target, otherwise, its the same curriculum.
Yes, but I would think that five days of your regular life inbetween each session would detract from the training, some cadets are bound to forget half of the stuff they learned the previous weekend while dealing with regular life inbetween.

Eclipse

This has not been an issue, encampments just reinforce ideas and concepts that the cadets should already be familiar with - uniform wear, discipline, drill, and courtesies - all things a Curry+ cadet should have a basic or better handle on.

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

Army OCS is done over 12 wks with nights & wknds off. In the guard, we do the same training hours in an accelerated 8wk course with little sleep & no time off, OR the traditional route. That's 2 two-week sessions, with a year in between of monthly drills doing the academics. You think a week off btwn wknds for a CAP encampment is bad? Try taking a month off, going back to your job, wife/kids, mortgage, etc, then snapping back into real mil officer training. That's folks that are going to be leading troops in combat in less than a year too. I know we're talking about young brains here in CAP, but the scale & import of the task is downsized too. It's a hassle, but it's doable. I'll tell you from my experience, we don't tend to have the cadet fit/CCs, sgts, sq/CCs, 1Sgts working together as a cohesive team till the end of day three, then we're into prep for grad. It's hard to get much done in that timeframe. It takes till week 2-3 before folks "get it" at RM training, and that's a very rapid transformation when you see the lights start to go on.

flyguy06

Quote from: DNall on August 23, 2008, 07:44:22 AM
Army OCS is done over 12 wks with nights & wknds off. In the guard, we do the same training hours in an accelerated 8wk course with little sleep & no time off, OR the traditional route. That's 2 two-week sessions, with a year in between of monthly drills doing the academics. You think a week off btwn wknds for a CAP encampment is bad? Try taking a month off, going back to your job, wife/kids, mortgage, etc, then snapping back into real mil officer training. That's folks that are going to be leading troops in combat in less than a year too. I know we're talking about young brains here in CAP, but the scale & import of the task is downsized too. It's a hassle, but it's doable. I'll tell you from my experience, we don't tend to have the cadet fit/CCs, sgts, sq/CCs, 1Sgts working together as a cohesive team till the end of day three, then we're into prep for grad. It's hard to get much done in that timeframe. It takes till week 2-3 before folks "get it" at RM training, and that's a very rapid transformation when you see the lights start to go on.

I have to agree with you 100% on that DNall. i did the traditional Guard OCS route and he is absolutly correct. It sucked to get smoked for two and a half days, drive 90 miles home, get ack inthe civilian mode for 30 days just knowing you have to drive 90 miles back and know whats comming. That takes dicsipline.

jrsvf

Southeast Region will not be holding a winter encampment this year.  Last year's was held at Camp Blanding Florida from Dec 07 to Jan 08.  I heard that it went way over budget and SER will not do another because of it.  Florida WIng is going to have one and I think I saw it was going to be held at Blanding again.  I hope they get better barracks than the 07/08 one.

DC

Quote from: jrsvf on September 20, 2008, 03:21:39 AM
Southeast Region will not be holding a winter encampment this year.  Last year's was held at Camp Blanding Florida from Dec 07 to Jan 08.  I heard that it went way over budget and SER will not do another because of it.  Florida WIng is going to have one and I think I saw it was going to be held at Blanding again.  I hope they get better barracks than the 07/08 one.
I was just on the website - it will be held at Camp Winowa, a YMCA camp near Daytona..

Nathan

Quote from: MIKE on August 20, 2008, 04:54:26 PM
Quote from: RickFranz on August 20, 2008, 02:09:27 AM
26 - 31 Dec 08

Allow me to translate:  From YAY! Christmas morning! to Yay.  Duffelbag drag and getting yelled at by some pubescent cadet SNCO who didn't get what he wanted this year.

You kidding? I've been to two of the KSWG encampments so far, and it's usually cadets coming in saying, "Yay! I get to use my new Cameback and boots I got for Christmas!"

Seriously, the parents love us for giving them ideas on what to buy their kids... ;)

From what I understand, further details will be coming soon for KSWG encampment 2008. Unfortunately, it does not appear that I will be able to make anything more than a cameo appearence, but I'll keep you all updated.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

RickFranz

Speaking of the KSWG encampment here is the scoop.

1.  Kansas Wing's 2008 Encampment will run from 26 December to 31 December, 2008 in Salina, Kansas at the National Guard Regional Training Center.

2.  Cost of the Encampment is $100 for cadets and senior members alike.

3. The wing looks to have 40-50 outstanding cadets participate in this year's encampment. At a minimum of 13 Staff positions and a goal of 39 basics, this will allow for each flight to have a guidon bearer and three elements of four cadets each.

Cadets are needed to fill the following staff positions at this year's encampment;
(1) Squadron/Cadet Commander
(1) Executive Officer
(4) HQ Staff (Administration, Operations, Logistics and Public Affairs)
(3) Flight Commanders
(1) First Sergeant
(3) Flights Sergeants

Those wishing to serve as cadet staff need to submit a resume by e-mail to Capt Lahan at mark.lahan@us.army.mil no later than 9 November, 2008.  State in your e-mail what three positions you would like to be considered for.  A selection board will be held at Commanders Call on 15 November, 2008  and those wishing to be on staff need to be present.  The uniform for the board is the USAF-Style short sleeve shirt uniform, no tie, with all appropriate awards. Female cadets need to wear slacks, no skirts.

Additionally, the encampment needs to fill positions with senior members. This list is not all inclusive, just the minimum that must be filled.  Senior members who wish to attend and assist in areas not list are more than welcome to apply.
(3) TAC Officers
(1) Medical Officers
(1) Chaplain
(1) Admin Officer
(3) Mess Staff
SUBJECT: 2008 KSWG Encampment

4.  All applications need to be mailed to Col Rennels at:

Burgess W. Rennels Jr., Col, CAP
2039 Kentucky Street
Lawrence, KS 66046

When submitting applications you must include;
   CAPF-31, with squadron commander's signature
   CAPF-60, filled out with emergency notification data
   Check made payable to "KS WG Encampment 2008"

5.  Staff members should report to encampment between 0800 and 1000 on 26 December and basic cadets should report between 1200 and 1600 (4pm) on 26 December, 2008.

6.  Direct all questions regarding this memo to the undersigned.

MARK W. LAHAN, Captain, CAP
                        Director of Cadet Programs, Kansas Wing
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

RickFranz

If you want more information on the Kansas Wing Winter Encampment go to www.kswg.cap.gov and check the story on the front page and follow the links to get info and the packing list.
While you are there check the much improved website.

Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1