What Are Your Thoughts On...

Started by 356cadet, August 08, 2008, 04:06:07 AM

DC

Quote from: sawgunner7 on August 11, 2008, 04:07:10 PM
Quote from: Hookedonlemons on August 11, 2008, 06:07:20 AM
Cadet desert uniforms...?
How many cadets in the whole organization operate or even STEP FOOT into a desert enviornment compared to those who don't even SEE desert?

Just a thought that popped into my head while reading this thread... A good reason for DCU(s) Might be the simple fact NOT that our mission requires them. But maybe that we are voulenteer... Usually Most Squadrons are under funded or don't have enough of the right size uniforms to give out. Or just don't have any. And most parents until they see there kids are hooked on CAP and that its not just a couple week phase. arent going to buy anything other that second hand uniforms if anything. And in some cases I have seen that it is easier to come across DCUs. So maybe it could open up a window of more adaptability. And be one more way for a cadet to get there hands on a set of uniforms? Anyone think of this as a good idea ???
NO. I can see it now.. People who don't live anywhere near a desert getting DCUs because they are 'cool'. Cadets and/or parents getting the old chocolate chip pattern from Desert Storm instead of DCUs. The next incarnation of the CAP Ranger  - "Desert Patrol". Not to mention the fact that it will further reduce the uniformity of CAP as an organization. There needs to be ONE USAF style and ONE CAP Corporate style combination for each 'type' of uniform. Woodland BDUs (and ABUs in the near future) and BBDUs as field uniforms.

And if you really think about it, what practical advantage would a desert uniform give to CAP in the desert environment? Make Ground Teams harder to see?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: DC on August 11, 2008, 07:15:35 PM
The next incarnation of the CAP Ranger  - "Desert Patrol".

USCAPFL:  United States Civil Air Patrol Foreign Legion >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DC

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 11, 2008, 07:25:57 PM
Quote from: DC on August 11, 2008, 07:15:35 PM
The next incarnation of the CAP Ranger  - "Desert Patrol".

USCAPFL:  United States Civil Air Patrol Foreign Legion >:D
Don't let HWSRN hear that....

356cadet

How many cadets in the whole organization operate or even STEP FOOT into a desert enviornment compared to those who don't even SEE desert?
And vice-versa with those that have never stepped-foot on, or seen, a forest... think of that (I'm aware that the US is mostly forest, don't get me wrong, I'm just implying).

DC

Quote from: 356cadet on August 11, 2008, 11:40:42 PM
And vice-versa with those that have never stepped-foot on, or seen, a forest... think of that (I'm aware that the US is mostly forest, don't get me wrong, I'm just implying).
CAP wears BDUs because the Air Force wears BDUs, not to camouflage ourselves in our respective environments.

But, if I must

By this map, there are four states with desert in them, meaning that well over 90% of the US is temperate. Majority rules.

hatentx

the BDU was used because there was no DCU when it was designed.  So the BDU was the only uniform worn after the fatigues.  the DCU were designed when then need for them came.  But before we were in the middle east the last time I cant think of us fighting in the desert was in WWII against Rommel's Africa Corp.  I may be wrong but that is the last time I can think of Between the Persian Gulf.  So the wear of the BDU has nothing to do with climate although happens to fit but more to the ease of not changing uniforms after the development of the chocolate chip.

IceNine

QuoteBut before we were in the middle east the last time I cant think of us fighting in the desert was in WWII against Rommel's Africa Corp

The air force may have been in the desert, CAP wasn't.  WE don't need DCU's.

The only reasons that everyone want's ABU's is the fact that the woodland will eventually become unavailable.  And we like to have a link to our parent organization by wearing their uniform's, even with mod's
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Rotorhead

Quote from: 356cadet on August 08, 2008, 10:31:55 PM
I just brought this up for one of my cadets. Personally, I disagree with it, simply because cloth stripes are for the senior NCOs. Period. But, if we did have the DCU's I wouldn't complain, since my squadron is in the desert  ;D.
Why would you want to make it harder for your people to be seen?

That's what camo is for--to help hide your position.

Using desert camo in the desert would be fine if you were fighting, but since your goal should be to be visible, it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

356cadet

^ Eh. Makes sense.

It's wierd though, because BDUs are referred to as camo. The last time I looked up camouflage, the definiton said "concealment by disguise or protective coloring" (thefreedictionary.com).

So, if the cadets, or we I should say, are wearing BDUs, especially in the temperate parts, or 90% as noted above, then aren't we "hiding" ourselves?

SarDragon

And that exact point has been made at least a gazillion times in as many uniform related posts.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

356cadet

^ Yeah.

However, I've never seen anyone reply to that statement. Any thoughts why?

arajca

Quote from: SarDragon on August 31, 2008, 04:32:21 AM
And that exact point has been made at least a gazillion times in as many uniform related posts.  ;)
Only a gazillion? You ran out of fingers adn toes, didn't you. :angel:

Mike, you're up...

Pylon

Besides all the well-argued "NO!" arguments previous to my post, CAP's uniform closet is already unweildy and needs pairing down - not new additions.   When you walk into a room at a CAP activity, it usually looks like a NATO conference: Eight different uniforms, eleven different types of headgear or lack thereof, and enough varying insignia to make Vanguard rich.  Frankly, 90% of the time, any given group of CAP members looks anything but "uniform".

CAP will not be adding DCUs, cloth grade chevrons for C/Amn-C/CMSgt or any subdued grade insignia even on the list of items that will be considered at this time.  Just believe me on that one.   ;)  

What are we considering?  Finding ways to unify the varying styles of all our rank insignia across different uniform types, reducing our 6+ nametags to one or two, making placement rules the same across corporate and AF-style uniforms and overall making our uniforms uniform.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DC

Quote from: Pylon on August 31, 2008, 04:42:14 AM
Besides all the well-argued "NO!" arguments previous to my post, CAP's uniform closet is already unweildy and needs pairing down - not new additions.   When you walk into a room at a CAP activity, it usually looks like a NATO conference: Eight different uniforms, eleven different types of headgear or lack thereof, and enough varying insignia to make Vanguard rich.  Frankly, 90% of the time, any given group of CAP members looks anything but "uniform".

CAP will not be adding DCUs, cloth grade chevrons for C/Amn-C/CMSgt or any subdued grade insignia even on the list of items that will be considered at this time.  Just believe me on that one.   ;)  

What are we considering?  Finding ways to unify the varying styles of all our rank insignia across different uniform types, reducing our 6+ nametags to one or two, making placement rules the same across corporate and AF-style uniforms and overall making our uniforms uniform.
:clap:

stratoflyer

I didn't believe 'em when they told me CAP can get real passionate about uniforms....
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP