Main Menu

Senior Member Status

Started by captrncap, January 10, 2006, 04:05:45 AM

captrncap

As new members don't have a grade, does this exclude them being treated as an officer (for cadet purposes)? I heard a cadet tell a SM they did not need to salute because a SM is not an officer. Is this correct or do cadet need to extend courtesy to senior members even if they don't have a grade yet?

thefischNX01

The way I understand it (and the way my cadets did it) is that Senior Members are their superiors and therefore need to be saluted, regardless of rank, or lack thereof. 

The only exception I am aware of is if the aforementioned senior is not in uniform
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

Pylon

Quote from: captrncap on January 10, 2006, 04:05:45 AM
As new members don't have a grade, does this exclude them being treated as an officer (for cadet purposes)? I heard a cadet tell a SM they did not need to salute because a SM is not an officer. Is this correct or do cadet need to extend courtesy to senior members even if they don't have a grade yet?

This is correct.

A Senior Member without grade (SMWOG) is not an officer.

To go along with this, SMWOG's also do not wear the flight cap with the silver edge braiding, like other SMs do.  They wear the flight cap with the dark blue piping (same as the cadets).  The SMWOG accordingly does not wear the sleeve braid on the cuffs of the service coat, like SM officers do.

But it's only for 6 months for most.  :-)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

thefischNX01

not to get off topic, but is a Flight Officer considered a non-commissioned officer?  And therefore should wear the Cadet style flight cap?
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing

MIKE

Quote from: thefischNX01 on January 10, 2006, 04:46:46 AM
not to get off topic, but is a Flight Officer considered a non-commissioned officer?  And therefore should wear the Cadet style flight cap?

Quote from: CAPM 39-11-3. a. Officer: As used in this publication, includes senior member grades flight officer through major
general and cadet grades second lieutenant through colonel.
b. Airman: Unless otherwise specified, includes all other uniformed members both senior and
cadet.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Figure 2-26. NOTES:2. Flight Cap: Senior members wear small double clutch back senior member cap device. Cadet NCOs
and airmen wear the cadet enlisted double clutch back cap device. Cadet officers wear miniature or
regular size metal grade insignia on the flight cap. Cap will not be crushed. Senior member officer
flight cap has silver and blue braid. All others wear flight cap with solid blue braid.
Mike Johnston

PWK-GT

Quote from: Pylon on January 10, 2006, 04:21:05 AM
Quote from: captrncap on January 10, 2006, 04:05:45 AM
As new members don’t have a grade, does this exclude them being treated as an officer (for cadet purposes)? I heard a cadet tell a SM they did not need to salute because a SM is not an officer. Is this correct or do cadet need to extend courtesy to senior members even if they don’t have a grade yet?

This is correct.

A Senior Member without grade (SMWOG) is not an officer.

To go along with this, SMWOG's also do not wear the flight cap with the silver edge braiding, like other SMs do.  They wear the flight cap with the dark blue piping (same as the cadets).  The SMWOG accordingly does not wear the sleeve braid on the cuffs of the service coat, like SM officers do.

But it's only for 6 months for most.  :-)
I asked this very same question to the Knowledgebase when I first joined...and they said the opposite. They told me that a SM (no rank) is still to be saluted by cadets and addressed as 'sir'. Go figure....... :D
"Is it Friday yet"

thefischNX01

Quote from: MIKE on January 10, 2006, 04:56:04 AM
Quote from: thefischNX01 on January 10, 2006, 04:46:46 AM

Quote from: CAPM 39-11-3. a. Officer: As used in this publication, includes senior member grades flight officer through major
general and cadet grades second lieutenant through colonel.
b. Airman: Unless otherwise specified, includes all other uniformed members both senior and
cadet.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Figure 2-26. NOTES:2. Flight Cap: Senior members wear small double clutch back senior member cap device. Cadet NCOs
and airmen wear the cadet enlisted double clutch back cap device. Cadet officers wear miniature or
regular size metal grade insignia on the flight cap. Cap will not be crushed. Senior member officer
flight cap has silver and blue braid. All others wear flight cap with solid blue braid.

Thank you, sir.  Just wanted to clarify
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing