Main Menu

SER Winter Encampment

Started by JROB, August 04, 2008, 07:37:02 PM

JROB

I heard a myth that needs clarification. Did they shut down the SERWE
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

DC

Yes they did. It was felt that since the SERWE is held in Florida 99% of the time that it would be better for it to simply become a FLWG Encampment.

Here is a Q&A off the 'Ask the Commander' function on the FLWG Cadet Programs website.
QuoteSir, why have they stopped having regional encampments?

Answer
Dear Cadet,
The regional encampment that is normally held in December will be replaced by a FLWG Winter Encampment. It was decided at SER that FLWG was better to hold these independently rather than as a SER activity since it tended to be located within FL geographically, and the majority of the staff is from FL. As always, we will welcome other attendees from other wings as well.

Thank you for participation in this forum.

CHRISTIAN F. MOERSCH, Col., CAP
Commander, Florida Wing

No information has been published on it, but I believe it is to be held at Camp Blanding.

Here is the website for it, you can check it for updates. http://www.flcadet.com/WinterEncampment.aspx

Maj Ballard

This is correct. There will be no Southeast Region Winter Encampment. SER cadets are encouraged to attend encampments in the individual Wings.

Capt Leslie Ballard
Director of Cadet Programs
Southeast Region
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

BillB

From 1974 to date, every SER Encampment, Winter or Summer,  has been in Florida, except the one in 2006 at Ft Benning. These were at Eglin, Tyndall, and Camp Blanding. Only the 1974 SER Encampment had cadets from EVERY Wing in the SER (including PR), along with four out of region Wings.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RiverAux

Smart of Florida to get Region to support their encampment for all those years. 

BillB

River....It wasn't set up by Florida, the Project Officer for the early Encampments was the SER USAF RLO. In '74 for example the Commander was from SER  DCC, the XO from Alabama, the Commandant from TN, the Dep CC from GA. The cadet staff was fairly evenly divided up among the Wings of SER. The only reason the SER Encampments were held in Florida, Tyndall was the only USAF base available for a Winter Encampment since the AFROTC barracks were not in use. Eglin outlying fields were the only other possible location, and they were lacking facilities needed for encampment training.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

DC

Quote from: RiverAux on August 05, 2008, 03:20:08 AM
Smart of Florida to get Region to support their encampment for all those years. 
I went to the SER Encampment in in 05-06, there was a pretty good mix of Basics from all over SER, and beyond, CAWG, is the example that stands out.

Most of the staff was from FL, but not all, the C/CD was from AZ, my Flight Commander was from TN, and my Squadron Commander from NC...

SWASH

The FLWG Winter Encampment will still basically be the same thing, just a different name.  I just moved from FLWG to INWG and went to the ILWG Summer Encampment.  I am trying to get some people down to the FLWG Winter Encampent this year.  There are cadets that do come from all over, including my First Sergeant and my Basic who is from MAWG.
CHRIS W. SAJDAK, C/SMSgt, CAP
2006-2007 SERWE Doolie, 2007-2008 SERWE Flight Sergeant
2008 ILWG Summer Encampment Flight Sergeant
08/09 FLWG Winter Encampemnt PAO

jsmike92

I was a basic at SERWE 06-07 and a cadet staff at SERWE 07-08. More than half of the basics and staff were from FLWG. It makes some sense to split up the activity. The locations are a whole day's drive from Tennessee or from Miami.

On another note, I heard a rumor that the new FLWG Winter Encampment might be held somewhere in south florida, like Miami. This would be nice because the southern cadets could go to winter in Miami, while the northern cadets go to summer at Blanding.

BillB

FLWG Winter Encampment is at Blanding. Where would it be possible to have a Winter Encampment in Miami? Did someone open an Air Force Base and forgot to tell anyone?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

DC

Quote from: BillB on August 08, 2008, 08:03:09 PM
FLWG Winter Encampment is at Blanding. Where would it be possible to have a Winter Encampment in Miami? Did someone open an Air Force Base and forgot to tell anyone?
Homestead ARB...

BillB

Homestead according to South FL Group Commanders doesn't have the barracks or mess hall setup needed for an encampment.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SWASH

Jsmike92:  I was also a basic at SER WE 06-07 and staff at SER WE 07-08.  What were you on staff for?

I hope that Winter Encampment is in North FL because I will be coming down from INWG.  It would of been nice if it was in south FL, when I lived on Marco Island.

DC

Quote from: SWASH on August 09, 2008, 03:40:13 AM
Jsmike92:  I was also a basic at SER WE 06-07 and staff at SER WE 07-08.  What were you on staff for?

I hope that Winter Encampment is in North FL because I will be coming down from INWG.  It would of been nice if it was in south FL, when I lived on Marco Island.
Hopefully it will stay at Camp Blanding. Despite the lack of climate control, it is a good locale for Encampment.

BillB

The biggest problem with holding encampments at Blanding is the costs. The Florida National Guard charges for everything. CAP has to pay for the mess halls, barracks, and use of some facilities. Those would be at no charge at an USAF Base. But there are no USAF bases in the Southeast that has the barracks space for 100-300 cadets.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

flyguy06

Quote from: BillB on August 05, 2008, 02:49:23 AM
From 1974 to date, every SER Encampment, Winter or Summer,  has been in Florida, except the one in 2006 at Ft Benning. These were at Eglin, Tyndall, and Camp Blanding. Only the 1974 SER Encampment had cadets from EVERY Wing in the SER (including PR), along with four out of region Wings.

Not True. I went to a SER encampment in Catossa GA at the TN National Guard camp in 1995

flyguy06

I hope one day we can get the SER Winter Encampment back and bring it back to Benning. I think we will in a few years though

SWASH

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 12, 2008, 04:58:39 PM
I hope one day we can get the SER Winter Encampment back and bring it back to Benning. I think we will in a few years though

I really don't care if it is a FLWG or SER Winter Encampment, as long as one of them has it.

I doubt Benning will ever be used again, after what happend in 06-07 (from the rumors and facts I have heard).  I liked Blanding a lot better than Benning, maybe because we did not have to march for miles just to eat.

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: BillB on August 08, 2008, 09:30:05 PM
Homestead according to South FL Group Commanders doesn't have the barracks or mess hall setup needed for an encampment.

I had my first encampment at Homestead, now this was 12 years ago, so things may have changed.

Quote from: DC on August 09, 2008, 04:13:07 AM
Quote from: SWASH on August 09, 2008, 03:40:13 AM

Hopefully it will stay at Camp Blanding. Despite the lack of climate control, it is a good locale for Encampment.

The latest rumor is we will be in the nicer, newer barracks this year for both winter (if held at blanding) and summer... and they are supposedly climate controlled.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Hookedonlemons

Barracks with less vents and heat would have helped last year!
Degrees in the teens!
Even with the space heaters the barracks were 39 degrees!