Main Menu

New Navy Uniform

Started by Grumpy, July 22, 2008, 03:55:15 PM

John Bryan

Quote from: MIKE on July 22, 2008, 05:29:38 PM
I liked the Johnny Cash's... I plan on getting the CG version as soon as I can find a Winter Dress Blue shirt that fits... may have to wait for the new ones though.

I don't like these... It smacks of khakis, but not quite because we can't have E-1-E-6 in those.  The old Salt 'n Peppers would be my vote... but I wear Tropical Blue Long.  >:D  Or even short sleeved black shirt would look better if you don't like two-tone.

Honestly though... the way the USCG does it works.

Love the service dress khakis coming back though.

Interesting side note on the Salt 'n Pepper uniform.....not only is the Navy not looking to bring it back but the US Public Health Service is doing away with them as well.....IIRC sometime in the next year.

Wonder if NOAA or PHS will go back to the  khakis service dress for officers? Anyone know?

DNall

Optional? The reg says mandatory after six months of active duty. That's BOLC II/III. It's also required for OBC graduations. For practical purposes, I'm expected to be in it for the NGAT dinner every year. More immediately, my TAG expects me in class As (green) for a reception next month, and blues the next day for our formal presentation. I think the point of the reg is to save the government money, cause it's not reality.

I've heard there's a 400 allowance, but I'll believe it when I see it. I just dropped over 700 on blues (including alterations and braid on class As). If they want to defray my costs then I'm not going to argue.

Far as the new service dress. It hasn't actually been put out yet. We know they're going to the blue uniform & ditching the greens. We know the pants become high waist w/ belt loops (mine are good to go for that). But, they are still playing with the shade of gray for the class B shirt. You think CAP is slow, they've been working on this since 2006. Be nice when it's final, not that we wear anything other than ACUs 99.995% of the time anyway.

ramen192

All i got to say is that a uniform is just a look its about working hard and stayin' sharp...

besides im on my way on gettin mine right now when i get off my 12hr watch....lol

besides we gotta be open minded and take what they give us.... be open for new things and be ready for a change...

SAR-EMT1

Can someone please post the uniform that the army is going to?
Is this the Blue uniform that had the cape?
Or the blue uniform i saw on the guards at the Tomb of the Unknowns or what?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

ramen192

i kinda liked the green army one's...loliii

amd i love the new navy uniforms... looks awsome.....dont care what others think about it....

here is the link on the regs for the new navy service uniform..

http://www.new-navy-uniform.com/navadmin/190-08.html

MIKE

Hey... what are these Army uniforms doing in a thread about Navy uniforms?
Mike Johnston

DNall

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 02, 2008, 05:59:35 AM
http://peosoldier.army.mil/factsheets/SEQ_CIE_ASU.pdf

Yes, but it isn't official yet. They're still playing with weaves/shades/details. The cadet gray shirt is the big thing that isn't done yet, but they haven't said for absolute sure that they aren't going to modify the coat/pants slightly. We're just working on assumption based on a general concept they've put out.

Quote from: MIKE on August 02, 2008, 02:21:45 PM
Quick side note ref how much the navy spends on initial issue/annual uniform allowance versus other services, and how much I just had to spend on Army dress blues  :'( What's a navy uniform thread doing on a CAP forum?

Major Carrales

If I may MIKE, it believe the over all "concept" of the thread is "retro-Uniforms."  Thus the NAVY change to Khakis, USAF Heritage and ARMY Blue Uniform would nto be out of place in this thread.  Renaming and consolidiating all threads on such mannes under on by the Name "RETRO Uniform Movements" would best serve as a course of action.

They remain in the same general sphere of topicality.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

Retro?

Will CAP go back to scarlet epaulets?
Another former CAP officer

DNall

god i hope not. how about, "will CAP stick with gray eps now that the army is moving to gray shirt, making them the only service to use it as a primary color?"

Major Carrales

Kach and DNALL,

You well know the idea is to go "retro."  Seems like the powers that be might think that the GOLDEN AGE of the US military is WWII.  Just look at what is being suggested in the Army, USAF and Navy.

I was wondering what a CAP heritiage uniform would look like.  Blue with red epaulets (didn't someone suggest that for the new service coat a while back?)  All the way back to khaki.  Well, that is just a bit of blarney on my part.

I like the Gray on Blue.  Gray is a nice color for CAP.

You know, I just thought of something that even makes a commentary on the division within CAP.  Blue and Gray, like the War Between the States.  Hummmmm...speaks volumes. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

davidsinn

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 02, 2008, 05:06:55 PM

You know, I just thought of something that even makes a commentary on the division within CAP.  Blue and Gray, like the War Between the States.  Hummmmm...speaks volumes. 
I think half the reason most hate the gray is the incredibly crappy quality from the same company that makes the blue ones. I don't mind the gray but the blue ones are far higher quality and thus are my preferred choice.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DNall

Just speculating, but I think some of that is CAP's fault. I'm sure they got product samples & decided on something that met the need at what they thought was a reasonable price point. While the AF obviously demanded a higher quality, which is why theirs tend to cost a bit more. obviously it's not a volume thing.

Flying Pig

Quote from: davidsinn on August 02, 2008, 06:52:32 PM

I think half the reason most hate the gray is the incredibly crappy quality from the same company that makes the blue ones. I don't mind the gray but the blue ones are far higher quality and thus are my preferred choice.

No kidding.  I have a couple sets of the old CAP blue officer epaulets. They are very high quality.  The grey ones I have now are fraying, and just dont have a crisp look like the blue ones.  Its hard to explain without holding both sets in your hands.

mikeylikey

Too bad we can't get the blue ones back.  I have multiple sets of every rank.  (Just waiting for the day I guess)
What's up monkeys?

SarDragon

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 02, 2008, 03:54:43 PM

If I may MIKE, it believe the over all "concept" of the thread is "retro-Uniforms."  Thus the NAVY change to Khakis, ...

Please refresh me on when USN E-6 and below wore khaki uniforms, particularly having any resemblance to the new one presented above.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 02, 2008, 08:51:01 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on August 02, 2008, 06:52:32 PM

No kidding.  I have a couple sets of the old CAP blue officer epaulets. They are very high quality.  The grey ones I have now are fraying, and just dont have a crisp look like the blue ones.  Its hard to explain without holding both sets in your hands.

It migth be worthy to point out that the CAP shouldermarks are larger than the USAF one or previous ones because those were not to be put on Service Coat epaulets.

Which part of your shoulder marks are fraying?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Rotorhead

Quote from: RiverAux on July 22, 2008, 07:37:53 PM
See, we don't just complain about CAP's uniforms   ::)
No, and we clearly aren't the only people who keep inventing new uniforms and combinations for virtually no good reason, eiher!
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

sandman

Quote from: John Bryan on July 31, 2008, 10:07:01 PM
Interesting side note on the Salt 'n Pepper uniform.....not only is the Navy not looking to bring it back but the US Public Health Service is doing away with them as well.....IIRC sometime in the next year.

Wonder if NOAA or PHS will go back to the  khakis service dress for officers? Anyone know?

The Assistant Secretary of Health, or ASH, has made it clear thar USPHS will follow the uniform regulations as set by the US Navy. This includes wearing the new digital camo and the khaki dress uniform.

v/r
LT
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command