Cadet Community Service Ribbon

Started by 356cadet, July 04, 2008, 04:09:00 AM

addo1

Quote from: MIKE on July 04, 2008, 03:49:31 PM
No it's not.

Quote from:  Answer ID 4724. There are no devices currently authorized for this ribbon.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.  Someone had told me that.  I will let them know.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on July 04, 2008, 03:50:16 PMBut, just because the squadron organized a clean-up rather than another group, that means that it won't count? 

Correct.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

That was more rhetorical than anything else.  The point was that they then go on to highlight two squadron-organized community service projects thereby implying that they would qualify for the ribbon, presumably because they aren't typical CAP activities. 

Hawk200

Quote from: 356cadet on July 04, 2008, 03:14:03 PM
In concerns for why I'm volunteering there: last time I went there before I volunteered, their office was a mess. I asked them "Need some help cleaning the place up," and from there on, here I am.

It's nice that you want to help out your mother's office to clean up, but that isn't of benefit to the community. You didn't go into the community to actively help.

Some examples: volunteering at the Red Cross, Meals on Wheels, teaching the illiterate to read, working at rest homes or senior centers, serving food to the homeless, working at the Special Olympics. Even organizing a neighborhood watch might be considered by some people. Just going to Mom's office doesn't seem like a whole lot of effort.

What have you done that benefits the community as a whole? Improving the efficiency of an office doesn't show that you made an effort to benefit everyone.

You also stated "Sure, I am working for the ribbon, but not for the size of my rack." That doesn't make sense. You're working for something with a direct impact on the other. If you get the ribbon, are you not going to wear it? Seems like you're working to get paid with a piece of cloth instead of cash.

RiverAux

Cut him some slack...he came here asking about whether or not this would count, so its not like he's trying to slip something by everyone...

356cadet

Quote from: RiverAux on July 04, 2008, 05:00:05 PM
Cut him some slack...he came here asking about whether or not this would count, so its not like he's trying to slip something by everyone...

Thank you, River Aux.  :clap:

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on July 04, 2008, 05:00:05 PM

If it's a simple matter of that, I'd say "No". To clarify, it's not benefitting the community in a direct manner.

lordmonar

Quote from: MIKE on July 04, 2008, 03:34:48 PM
Quote from: Sqn72DO on July 04, 2008, 06:55:56 AM
The cadets in my last squadron used to gain their hours by participating in the squadron's road clean up day. 

This is another no-go. Linky.  "Squadron activities" should not count.

When the squadron gets together specifically to do community service?    It most certainly should count.   If the squadron gets together to clean the hanger or fix up the squadron building...then no.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jb512

As they say, you get what you pay for and advice around here is about up to par with that.

When you get enough community service hours accumulated, document them and submit them up your chain of command for approval.  If there is any issue then your staff should be able to help and you should look up the specific regulation about that award.  Your best approach for this or anything else in the future is to do your research by consulting the regs and asking your chain of command.  Not everyone in here is the know-all of know-alls.

MIKE

Quote from: lordmonar on July 05, 2008, 06:25:36 AM
The cadets in my last squadron used to gain their hours by participating in the squadron's road clean up day. 

When the squadron gets together specifically to do community service?    It most certainly should count.   

I disagree... to me, thats still a squadron activity.  The ribbon is for the cadet who on his or her own time volunteers at a soup kitchen etc.
Mike Johnston

lordmonar

Quote from: MIKE on July 05, 2008, 03:03:14 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 05, 2008, 06:25:36 AM

When the squadron gets together specifically to do community service?    It most certainly should count.   

I disagree... to me, thats still a squadron activity.  The ribbon is for the cadet who on his or her own time volunteers at a soup kitchen etc.

Sorry Mike...but that is just lame.  Just because someone in the squadron planned and executed the project should not make it a non player for community service.
The ribbon is for community service....."on his or her own time vounteering..."  No where does it say that it can't be a CAP organised event.  It just can't be a "normal" CAP thing....i.e. they don't want us to use our air show and color guard time (which I agree with).
But if my squadron gives up a week end to help out a community agency why not give them credit for community service....its what they did.

Eclipse

Quote from: CAP Knowledgebase Article http://tinyurl.com/68u3wj
Requirements for the Community Service Ribbon for cadets are covered in  CAPR 39-3, Award of CAP Medals, Ribbons, and Certificates. Section F Paragraph 21.i states, " Cadet Community Service Ribbon. Awarded to cadets who complete 60 hours of community service. The service must be verified by a volunteer coordinator. "

The wing commander is the approval authority for the 2a request (unless he or she has delegated this responsibility to the squadron/group commander in accordance with the same regulation).

There are a few assumptions about this ribbon:
1. That the community service occurred outside of CAP.
2. That a CAP member is not verifying the cadet's community service (unless, of course, this CAP member can speak for the outside organization, and sign the verifying letter for the outside organization).
3. The regulation does not require that the verification be on an organizational letterhead, but most outside agencies would probably use their letterheads when verifying someone's volunteer participation.
4. There are no devices currently authorized for this ribbon.

Comments about the KB being non-regulatory may be factually true, but hold little weight in these discussions. Especially in light of the fact that the CSR is awarded on almost a 100% subjective basis, anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

As I've pointed out previously, the KB says one thing, but the examples it gives say another....I think the KB has confused itself on this one. 

Eclipse

This question is raised in about 3 or 4 different flavors and the answer is essentially the same in each response.

"That Others May Zoom"

Sleepwalker

lordmonar,

I agree with you.  We also clean up the road next to our building, but we do it during regular scheduled meetings (during daylight hours).  In this case, I do NOT include this as 'community service'.  However, if we ever were to do this outside our regularly scheduled meetings, then I would. 
   We do many other things to help out out our community (outside of our regular meetings) that I consider 'community service' because our Cadets are asked to come help, but not required to.  This service is in addition to their commitment to regular meetings, trips, classes, etc. 
  All this, of course, is IMHO, but that is my criteria as a Squad Comm.         
A Thiarna, déan trócaire

Jolt

I'll throw a stone in the pond.  I volunteer as an EMT with a nearby ambulance service.  We sign up for shifts as opposed to having an area response system where everyone who's available shows up for a call.  I know for a fact I've done far more than 60 hours in the past several months.

The only problem is, the company reimburses volunteers for the time they put in.  The money is given so that we can afford to drive in to do a shift and eat reasonably during that shift.  Our officers have made it very clear that we're not even allowed to refer to this as "payment" because it's "reimbursement."  I could even show the memo from the treasurer if you'd like.

So... what do you think?

lordmonar

Depends on the amount....if it really is just gas and food money...then yes.

So I would say that if you are getting more than say $15-20/day or if you get "reimbursed" on an hourly basis....then no I would see that as getting paid.

Definatly a gray area...and I would have to see the details to make a call.

cnitas

Quote from: Jolt on July 07, 2008, 05:13:40 PM
The only problem is, the company reimburses volunteers for the time they put in.  The money is given so that we can afford to drive in to do a shift and eat reasonably during that shift. 

Are you reimbursed for your gas/milage and food, or do they just pay you like a paycheck for hours worked?

'Reimbursement' for your time is called a wage or salary.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Hawk200

Quote from: Jolt on July 07, 2008, 05:13:40 PM
I'll throw a stone in the pond.  I volunteer as an EMT with a nearby ambulance service.  We sign up for shifts as opposed to having an area response system where everyone who's available shows up for a call.  I know for a fact I've done far more than 60 hours in the past several months.

The only problem is, the company reimburses volunteers for the time they put in.  The money is given so that we can afford to drive in to do a shift and eat reasonably during that shift.  Our officers have made it very clear that we're not even allowed to refer to this as "payment" because it's "reimbursement."  I could even show the memo from the treasurer if you'd like.

So... what do you think?

Sounds more like a "per diem" to me. As has been said above, probably a gray area. Not sure what I would do if I had cadet turn something like that in for consideration.

356cadet

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2008, 09:13:26 PM
Quote from: CAP Knowledgebase Article http://tinyurl.com/68u3wj
Requirements for the Community Service Ribbon for cadets are covered in  CAPR 39-3, Award of CAP Medals, Ribbons, and Certificates. Section F Paragraph 21.i states, " Cadet Community Service Ribbon. Awarded to cadets who complete 60 hours of community service. The service must be verified by a volunteer coordinator. "

The wing commander is the approval authority for the 2a request (unless he or she has delegated this responsibility to the squadron/group commander in accordance with the same regulation).

There are a few assumptions about this ribbon:
1. That the community service occurred outside of CAP.
2. That a CAP member is not verifying the cadet's community service (unless, of course, this CAP member can speak for the outside organization, and sign the verifying letter for the outside organization).
3. The regulation does not require that the verification be on an organizational letterhead, but most outside agencies would probably use their letterheads when verifying someone's volunteer participation.
4. There are no devices currently authorized for this ribbon.

Comments about the KB being non-regulatory may be factually true, but hold little weight in these discussions. Especially in light of the fact that the CSR is awarded on almost a 100% subjective basis, anyway.

This is what I looked up, even before starting this topic, on the NHQ KB. This is basically what I am basing my work on. I have yet to find an answer from my Squadron Commander about this, but this source is very reliable to me.