Promotion Requirements...A Standard?

Started by NavLT, July 02, 2008, 03:30:23 PM

NavLT

I am writing today to broach the question of what is required in CAP to get promoted in the senior Program.

I personally don't find the CAP promotion system to be very well monitored by higher commanders.  I am currently a Major and if I never get LTCol that will not hinder my contributions to ES, Cadet Program or Senior Program.

What I have observed is that the system is poorly tracked in several ways:

1.   Many senior members do not actually do a specialty track they just get signed off on one by a CC.  - Possible solution would be to put the Specialty track req on-line to be signed off like ES tracking who signed off each step prior to the CC approval.

2. SLS and CLC are getting harder to come by.  two of the three wings I have been in put a very tight hold on how many SLS and CLC are taught and by who.  I find this a little restrictive since most of the program is a canned Power point presentation.  - I don't have a solution to this right now.

3. What members need to do to get an endorsement from commanders varies greatly.  I have personally seen applications for Major and LtCol shot down by Group commanders and killed without ever getting to Wing or Region.  The book I read said that commanders could endorse yea or nay but the boards at the appropriate level get to make the final call.  Does anybody look for that? Do the boards ever ask why a middle commander says no?  With the advent of the on-line request, I am finding commanders insisting on the paper copy to go with it with additional materials. So much for paperless process.. - Think that Commanders need to communicate the vision on how promotions are going to work in their wing/region and then have PD at wing/region look at if it is being followed.  My wing announced 1 commander ago that if you wanted Maj you had to be on Group staff and if you wanted LT Col you had to be on Wing Staff.  I guess that line about supplements to these regulations need to be approved by National is to easily ignored.

4. PD linked to other areas.  I agree with the string of comments though cap talk that a members progression through PD should be linked to how much of other activities they are able to do.  I have members in my wing who are 15 year 1LTs who are ICs and Check pilots etc.  I hear that ECI 13 is to difficult to manage (and it is a poor method) but the organization looks like a joke to the outside when they see LTCols running around working for 1LTs.  I think that we should take a look at saying that advanced flight training, Advanced ES quals, National activity slots should be linked to PD progression.  I also realize that there are members who are in Phase IV who are still 1LTs for other reasons, but are they valid reasons and if they are not being promoted for cause why reward them with perks.

5. Requirements - I have noticed a trend of additional courses from national (UCC and TLC) and I applaud them.  I also applaud the moving of the Safety ECI to the national test system.  I find that the more training you can put out there that members can get to will show you which members want to train.  If you herd the members into a room for SLS how many wanted to be there.  I would be in-favor of having 3or 4 choices of training that you need to do 1 or 2 of to progress that way they have options and can choose.  For instance On-line training for NTaps, ICS-adv training, Radio Propagation over terrain and Medial/Safety concerns for ES Operations. You must complete 1 of 4 for technician in ES, 2 of 4 for Senior and 3 of 4 For master.  The training would be on-line with a test and standardized.  Ensuring that members with a specialty have the same training.

Just some thoughts to Chew around and see what the membership in general thinks about it.

Thanks and I look forward to reading your replies.

V/R
LT J.

Eclipse

I had a long, point by point on this, but its not necessary, suffice to say that while your issues are frustrating, they are not necessarily the case in every state, my wing did 4 SLS/CLC weekends last year, they are not rocket science, and if you present a plan and qualified staff, I don't see why any wing would be reluctant to allow more to be schedule (YMMV, obviously).

As to situations where people are being pencil-whipped, or a state is adding objective criteria for promotion against regulations, there's a complaint process for that kind of thing, but yo have to be someone with standing to file the complaint and you have to be able to back it up with evidence, etc.

My Region has raised the bar on field-grade and special appointment promotions, and I basically agree with their sentiment.  The result will be more 1st Lt's and less Lt. Col's, more like the active services.  If you accept command responsibility and have upward mobility, you'll progress farther and faster than a worker bee doing a good job locally.  That's the way its supposed to work, anyway.

And since we do not connect command authority to grade, it doesn't matter that there are 1st Lt's acting as IC's over Lt. Cols.  When we interact wth other services, that situation is anecdotally interesting and explained in a second and we all move on.

We only lose credibility when that IC (or anyone else) can't perform their duty as required, otherwise, I can assure you no one outside CAP really cares what's on our collar.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

Your Number 4 is a mute point.  I can produce a First LT that has 10 more years in  the program and is way better at being an IC than many Lt Col's that joined CAP with special appointments and promotions, and SUCKS at being an IC.

If we want to change anything, lets get rid of special appointments and promotions!!
What's up monkeys?

James Shaw

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 02, 2008, 07:22:21 PM
If we want to change anything, lets get rid of special appointments and promotions!!

I called NHQ and needed some info about special appointments when I was a CC. The first thing they told me was when I did the writeup I needed to show why this individual "walked on water" and deserved it.

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Short Field

Quote from: NavLT on July 02, 2008, 03:30:23 PM
I hear that ECI 13 is to difficult to manage (and it is a poor method) but the organization looks like a joke to the outside when they see LTCols running around working for 1LTs. 

The easy and fast fix to that problem is make the out-ranked ICs wear polo shirts and grey slacks.  ;D
AFIADL 13 is not that hard - just takes some time and dedication.  If your unit is having a problem getting people enrolled, then it is a unit level problem, not a problem with the program.

I think that we should take a look at saying that advanced flight training, Advanced ES quals, National activity slots should be linked to PD progression. 

I can support that as an addition to the PD progression - not as a replacement for current PD requirements.  I question the advanced flight training as I see it only applying to pilots - not the rest of the ES people.

I also realize that there are members who are in Phase IV who are still 1LTs for other reasons, but are they valid reasons and if they are not being promoted for cause why reward them with perks.

I don't know how a 1st Lt can be Level IV unless they declined promotion for some reason.  A CAP NCO can be a Level V so I guess a 1st Lt could be.   Professional Development levels are not tied to promotions - however, duty performance promotions are tied to PD.

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

RiverAux

You can either have a promotion system that will give you squadrons where the highest ranking person is the commander or you can have a promotion system based on ES requirements where the IC is always the highest ranking person (unless the Wing CC is around, of course), but you can have some variant of the current system where you probably won't have the highest ranking person be the squadron commander or the IC. 

With any of those systems someone will say its a problem to have a higher ranking person "working" for a lower ranking person in one situation or the other when in practice it makes very little difference.

Personally, I favor an ES-based rank system, but judging from past discussions, I'm in a minority on that.

BillB

So RiverAux, your saying that a member in Cadet Programs would never be promoted, only those in ES??
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RiverAux

There is a whole thread on it somewhere.  Like I said, none of the alternatives will make everybody happy. 

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: RiverAux on July 02, 2008, 10:29:32 PM
You can either have a promotion system that will give you squadrons where the highest ranking person is the commander or you can have a promotion system based on ES requirements where the IC is always the highest ranking person (unless the Wing CC is around, of course), but you can have some variant of the current system where you probably won't have the highest ranking person be the squadron commander or the IC. 

With any of those systems someone will say its a problem to have a higher ranking person "working" for a lower ranking person in one situation or the other when in practice it makes very little difference.

Personally, I favor an ES-based rank system, but judging from past discussions, I'm in a minority on that.

Please remember there are Three Congressionally Mandated Programs for CAP.  To base Promotions on ES (operations), means there has to be promotions guidelines for AE and CP as well.

Which means more confusion and red tape just to get the right to promote.  (Reference - Uniforms)

Personally I am all in favor of Professional Development Promotions.  Each Level of completion means a promotion.  Much the same way it is now. I would even stay with special promotions for professional's such as Dr's & Lawyers and such.

isuhawkeye

There is always the idea that the expertise, and experience that field grade officers develop should be used for greater program development, and support by moving those officers to the group and wing level. 

Unfortunately that was tried, and whole heartedly rejected

davedove

Quote from: Short Field on July 02, 2008, 09:59:33 PM
I also realize that there are members who are in Phase IV who are still 1LTs for other reasons, but are they valid reasons and if they are not being promoted for cause why reward them with perks.

I don't know how a 1st Lt can be Level IV unless they declined promotion for some reason.  A CAP NCO can be a Level V so I guess a 1st Lt could be.   Professional Development levels are not tied to promotions - however, duty performance promotions are tied to PD.

If the timing is right and the right classes are scheduled, it can happen.  I am a 1st Lt and I have my Level III.  I am working on my Level IV now.  If everything falls into place right and I take RSC next summer, I will get my Level IV about the same time as I'm eligible for Capt.

There are no grade restrictions for attaining the PD levels until you reach Level V, where you have to be a Major to take NSC.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Capt M. Sherrod

Quote from: davedove on July 03, 2008, 11:40:23 AM
Quote from: Short Field on July 02, 2008, 09:59:33 PM

If the timing is right and the right classes are scheduled, it can happen.  I am a 1st Lt and I have my Level III.  I am working on my Level IV now.  If everything falls into place right and I take RSC next summer, I will get my Level IV about the same time as I'm eligible for Capt.

There are no grade restrictions for attaining the PD levels until you reach Level V, where you have to be a Major to take NSC.

You beat me to it.  I too am a 1LT that at this point only needs RSC to complete my Level IV.  It really does boil down to the initiative of the members.  Those of us that are in the trenches every day / week working with the cadets or missions if you are ES, tend to study, attend class, and dare I say "check boxes" faster than your average flying club mentality member.  As always YMMV.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

RiverAux

QuotePlease remember there are Three Congressionally Mandated Programs for CAP.  To base Promotions on ES (operations), means there has to be promotions guidelines for AE and CP as well.

No, not really...at least under my proposal.  Thats one of the reasons many people here didn't like it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't work.  But, then again, it is only a few people that are hung up on whether or not it is really critical that the highest ranking always be in charge in any phase of CAP.

Camas

Quote from: davedove on July 03, 2008, 11:40:23 AM
If the timing is right and the right classes are scheduled, it can happen.  I am a 1st Lt and I have my Level III.  I am working on my Level IV now.  If everything falls into place right and I take RSC next summer, I will get my Level IV about the same time as I'm eligible for Capt. There are no grade restrictions for attaining the PD levels until you reach Level V, where you have to be a Major to take NSC.
I completed RSC this spring at Nellis AFB NV and, as you might expect, we had a pile of majors completing their Level IV requirements along with several captains - and one 2nd lieutenant. No one even raised an eyebrow.

Short Field

Quote from: isuhawkeye on July 03, 2008, 11:39:05 AM
There is always the idea that the expertise, and experience that field grade officers develop should be used for greater program development, and support by moving those officers to the group and wing level. 

The squadron is the major operational unit of CAP.  To be constantly draining expertise and experience out of the squadron to higher headquarters does not benefit the squadron at all.  And at what point does the group and wing become bloated with experienced field graders. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Eclipse

Quote from: Short Field on July 03, 2008, 04:24:09 PM

The squadron is the major operational unit of CAP.  To be constantly draining expertise and experience out of the squadron to higher headquarters does not benefit the squadron at all.  And at what point does the group and wing become bloated with experienced field graders. 

The only way this model works is the same up and/or out paradigm that other services use.  A fixed length of service, requirements for participation and progression, etc.

Not practical in a volunteer environment where Wing HQ may be 500 miles away, and the member is only interested in comms, etc.

So that member remains a 1Lt (or here is where the NCO grades come back in) and that's just that.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 03, 2008, 05:10:16 PM
Quote from: Short Field on July 03, 2008, 04:24:09 PM

The only way this model works is the same up and/or out paradigm that other services use.  A fixed length of service, requirements for participation and progression, etc.

Not practical in a volunteer environment where Wing HQ may be 500 miles away, and the member is only interested in comms, etc.

So that member remains a 1Lt (or here is where the NCO grades come back in) and that's just that.

But then that does not fix the problem of having your local IC (a meer LT) commanding a Lt Col from wing who came down for the search doing comms duty.

Focusing on the local missiond does not mean you have no insight or understanding of the bigger picture.  And being on Wing Staff does not necessarilly mean you are all that either.

As discussed many times before.....there is no easy fix for this perceived problem.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

^ We'd need to couple ES skill with grade, or force people to specialize more.  i.e. Commanders would not be operational, etc.

In the real world, base commanders, etc., are not (usually) in the field running operations, that's for the younger, stronger "kids", and the administrivia is left to the older, wiser, management types.

Even if we accept the above as a workable reboot of CAP, we don't have the people to staff things.  At most activities I go to, its the commanders a staff who are the only ones that show up with any regularity.

"That Others May Zoom"

davedove

Even if you did somehow fix that problem, it still would not account for those moving back down in the organization.

For instance, the Lt Col who was a hard charger, served his time on Wing and as an IC, but is now tired (or can't put in the same time) but still wants to be a part of the organization.  He moves back to a local squadron and serves as Historian or something.

This doesn't happen in the military, but can happen at any time with CAP.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

Quote from: davedove on July 03, 2008, 05:51:29 PM
Even if you did somehow fix that problem, it still would not account for those moving back down in the organization.

For instance, the Lt Col who was a hard charger, served his time on Wing and as an IC, but is now tired (or can't put in the same time) but still wants to be a part of the organization.  He moves back to a local squadron and serves as Historian or something.

This doesn't happen in the military, but can happen at any time with CAP.

That's what I was suggesting, CAP would need the same up or out model, which would also require a lot more recruiting, and more detailed planning of CAP careers to fulfill personnel requirements, just like active services have.  You'd also have to assign people jobs whether they like it or not, and while that may work in the real world, where people get paid and sign contracts to do what they are told, that wouldn't fly in CAP with only volunteers.

You would not have 75 year olds capts, but you might also not have anyone.

"That Others May Zoom"