Main Menu

Multi-Tools

Started by DC, June 06, 2008, 12:32:43 AM

fullback

I got a Leatherman Micra when they came out, and never really liked as much as a regular pocket knife. I just use my SOG AutoClip for everything.

McAllister

I liked the idea of Multi-Tools, but I like regular pocket knives better because it is easier to get the blade out.

MIKE

Quote from: McAllister on August 08, 2008, 07:05:06 PM
I liked the idea of Multi-Tools, but I like regular pocket knives better because it is easier to get the blade out.

Methinks you bought the wrong multi-tool. 
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

I just bought a Gerber Diesel last week at Wal*Mart: http://www.rockynational.com/1804_22-01470_Gerber_Multi-Plier_Diesel_w_Sheath.html

It's working out great.  I like that the tools are on the inside so there isn't anything to pinch your hands.  The tools are practical and I've used almost all of them so far.  The tools also lock so you don't have to worry about cutting your fingers off.

It opens with one hand too (the pliers).

On top of getting the tool, it came with this: http://www.rockynational.com/1884_22-49445_Gerber_Tool_Kit_for_Freehand_Nautilus_Diesel_Recoil_Suspension.html

BTW, it's about $10 cheaper at Wal*Mart than on those websites and includes the bit kit.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

NIN

I have a (looks on belt) Leatherman Kick.  Not as good as my old-school Leatherman classic that I got when I was a crewchief, but since some little @#%$* here at the college made off with my old one, I have to make due.

I wanted the Leatherman with the cap-crimper in the jaws, then I realized "Ninness, you're never gonna be priming any demolition charges, so what do you need that crap for?"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

♠SARKID♠

I use a leatherman Pulse.  Its a retired line and they don't sell them anymore but I've always liked this multi tool.  The locks are a little hard to operate until you get the hang of them but once you do they're great.

MIKE

Quote from: NIN on August 08, 2008, 08:24:48 PM
I wanted the Leatherman with the cap-crimper in the jaws, then I realized "Ninness, you're never gonna be priming any demolition charges, so what do you need that crap for?"

Then one day you'll be setting up some pyro for an ACA training event and you'll be like "[farg]."
Mike Johnston

JC004

I like this topic, but I never have been very good at picking multi-tools.  I just end up with a LIST of multi-tools that I want.   :(

sawgunner7

i use whatever gerber or SOG tool the army is issueing at the time.

bricktonfire

i got a winchester Multi-tool

Hawk200

Quote from: sawgunner7 on August 09, 2008, 05:16:41 AM
i use whatever gerber or SOG tool the army is issueing at the time.

Same here, pretty much. My state gave us a bunch of stuff for the deployment, including a Gerber with the plier tip. RFI gave us basically the same tool, except the tip is more needle nose than the first one. I carry one on my belt, the other is on my IBA.

I saw a nice Leatherman Crunch over at the PX. It's a vise grip type of tool, but folds up just like a regular Leatherman. Thinking about purchasing one. The wierdest one I've seen over there so far is a Leatherman with pruning shears. I guess someone could use it, or else they wouldn't make it.

Fireball

Whichever multi-tool you end getting, be sure to take a close look at the warranty information. I have had to replace my Gerber twice and my Leatherman Blast once. In all cases I sent the broken tool and a note back to the manufacturer and they sent me a new tool back in less than two weeks. I don't know about any other makes.
R. N. Brock, Maj, CAP
NCWG

MIKE

My brother just got a Blast for his birthday... the locking system takes some getting used to, I like my WAVE better. ;D
Mike Johnston

Pumbaa

Here's a REAL Man's multi tool!

2 LBS - $1400

The GIANT!

OK seriously.  I am digging this Leatherman 830850 Skeletool CX Multitool...