Main Menu

Multi-Tools

Started by DC, June 06, 2008, 12:32:43 AM

DC

I currently carry a Victorinox SwissChamp, but I'm thinking about upgrading to a Leatherman Wave, or a Charge TTi.

I really don't like the SwissChamp, it has more tools than I'll ever need and its bulky and heavy. None of the tools lock, and I've cut myself more than once when the blade folded while I was using it.

Anyway, what multi-tool do you use, what do you like, dislike, wish you had?

MIKE

I have a WAVE... I probably use the scissors the most.
Mike Johnston

jeders

I personally use the Leatherman Blast.

I use all the tools on it and have only had one problem with it. Some time ago the part that locks the tools on one side in place broke off. The lock for the tools on the other side still worked so I kept using it. And if I was careful I could still use the unlocked tools. Unfortunately I lost it somewhere, so now I have a new fully functioning one, same type.

The only real downside to it though is it's $50 pricetag. But considering that the other one lasted a good 5 years or more under regular abuse, I guess it's not too bad.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

_

I have a Leatherman Juice KF4:
http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/retired-tools/kf4/default.asp

It's small and light.  It also has the sharpest knife I've ever seen.  I cut myself with it right after buying it and didn't even realize it until I saw copious blood.

I would really like to get a Leatherman Skeletool:
http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/skeletool/default.asp

Even though both of these are Letherman's I do really like Gerbers.  I used them for several years but they're not evolving their line as fast as Leatherman.  I liked having a Gerber that you could open with one hand by flicking it.

Duke Dillio

I actually prefer the Gerber multitools although I own a couple of Ozark Trail tools that I got from Wal-mart.  The Ozark Trail ones aren't too bad and I think I spent like $10 each for them.  I use a Leatherman at work, can't remember the model but I don't really like the pliers.  It's probably because it is a cheaper model...

DC

What looks good with some of the Leathermans is the blades on the outside, so you don't have to open the handles to get to the main tools, and the fact that all of the tools lock.

Eclipse

Among a few others, I have the basic, original Leatherman, given to me by my AFRES Loadmaster buddy when he finished his hitch.

Its been with me everywhere, is rarely far from my hand, and after 15+ years of use is still almost like new.

I take great pleasure and pride in the fact that this was an "issue" knife (hope the GAO isn't reading this), and rubbed it into him for several years what a bad idea it was to give it up.  I finally replaced it one year for Christmas.

Between that and a velcro shoulder flag he pulled from a flight jacket, its nice to be able to carry a little piece of the 928th TAG/64TH TAS around for CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

I've used a Victorinox Hiker for a long time.  I actually own two, because I lost one, bought a replacement, then found the original.  Great little knife, and only $30.

I've also owned a couple Leathermans (original PST and a Wave), and one of the new Leatherman knives.  I really like the Skeletool, if only for its name.  I keep a Gerber in the car, and I have a little keychain multi-tool that I don't actually use anymore that was designed by Utica Cutlery (gotta support the hometown).

I love knives and multi-tools.  It's all that I can do to resist buying the latest one.  Still, I always come back to the Hiker... it's the perfect size and has all the right tools.

SSgt Rudin

I prefer Gerber tools; probably because it is what I am used to, they gave me one in the Navy and replaced it with a similar or the same one when pieces broke off, most often the tip of flat head screwdriver/can opener.

It's not a multi tool but Gerber also makes this thing that I have that is pretty cool also
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

mikeylikey

I use the BIC PEN multi-tool.  It comes complete with a fork, spoon and knife attachment.  So when I find myself at Taco Bell, and they run out of spoorks, I break out my Bic.

What's up monkeys?

RRLE

In terms of Hobo Knives, my favorite is the Kabar Hobo Knife Fork and Spoon Outdoor Utensil Kit. The utensils slide apart for use.

Close behind is the Schrade Imperial Camper Hobo knife. I don't think this one is made anymore but you can often find them on eBay. On the Schrade the fork and spoon unfold to opposite ends of the knife so you can use both without putting the knife down.

Rounding out the hobo knife collection is my original BSA utensil set the spoon handle has lugs on it that the slots on the fork and knife lock unto. It all fits in a plastic pouch.

I have an original Leatherman. I purchased it when the Leatherman's were about the only multi-tool around. I had the original Tool Adapter Accessory (hex drive) and leather sheath for it. I never used the adapter and it was bulky so I sold it to a collector.

For ARES/RACES, hunting and fishing I carry a Swiss Champ in the Survival Sheath (with all accessories) in my butt pack. I have had it 20+ years and I have never had to use it. But -

QuoteBetter to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Spacing - MIKE

JoeTomasone

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on June 06, 2008, 03:45:15 AM

It's not a multi tool but Gerber also makes this thing that I have that is pretty cool also

I picked this one up and like it.  Cheapest price thus far was at Radio Shack, believe it or not.

http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/twelfth/cstrecon.htm

As for the multi-tools, I have a Schrade (love it) and a Leatherman (it's fine).

Thor

Leatherman WAVE and Gerber multitools are all GTG. SOG makes nice multitools if you're willing to spend the money.

http://www.sogknives.com/store/tools.html
"If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough."
-Chuck Norris doesn't request clearances, he states intentions.
"We're not on the wrong f***ing mountain!!!!"

notaNCO forever

I have the leatherman Fuse which works great the blade is super sharp and the scissors actually work good I defiantly recamend getting a leatherman for anyone who needs a multi tool. I also have a Gerber knife that I like it just doesn't seem to stay sharp for vary long.

DC

This is the Charge TTi that I am looking at. It's got everything I want tool wise, plus little cool things like being made out of titanium. Lighter and stronger than stainless steel. They run for about $100, not too bad. I might still go for the Wave, depends on how much money I want to spend.

Those SOG tools were cool, but a little pricey for what they offer.

RRLE

And just when you think you have it all - there is the Giant aka  Ultimate Swiss Army Knife

Duke Dillio

^How do you carry that in your pocket?  Looks like something you would carry in your "man purse."

JoeTomasone

Quote from: RRLE on June 06, 2008, 09:13:59 PM
And just when you think you have it all - there is the Giant aka  Ultimate Swiss Army Knife

HOLY MACGUYVER!

It's not many knives that make me break out Wikipedia to figure out what the implements do....

DC

Quote from: Sqn72DO on June 07, 2008, 02:43:40 AM
^How do you carry that in your pocket?  Looks like something you would carry in your "man purse."
Probably comes with its own trailer. For $1,400 it ought to....

SSgt Rudin

It doesn't even have a spork, what a waste.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

fullback

I got a Leatherman Micra when they came out, and never really liked as much as a regular pocket knife. I just use my SOG AutoClip for everything.

McAllister

I liked the idea of Multi-Tools, but I like regular pocket knives better because it is easier to get the blade out.

MIKE

Quote from: McAllister on August 08, 2008, 07:05:06 PM
I liked the idea of Multi-Tools, but I like regular pocket knives better because it is easier to get the blade out.

Methinks you bought the wrong multi-tool. 
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

I just bought a Gerber Diesel last week at Wal*Mart: http://www.rockynational.com/1804_22-01470_Gerber_Multi-Plier_Diesel_w_Sheath.html

It's working out great.  I like that the tools are on the inside so there isn't anything to pinch your hands.  The tools are practical and I've used almost all of them so far.  The tools also lock so you don't have to worry about cutting your fingers off.

It opens with one hand too (the pliers).

On top of getting the tool, it came with this: http://www.rockynational.com/1884_22-49445_Gerber_Tool_Kit_for_Freehand_Nautilus_Diesel_Recoil_Suspension.html

BTW, it's about $10 cheaper at Wal*Mart than on those websites and includes the bit kit.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

NIN

I have a (looks on belt) Leatherman Kick.  Not as good as my old-school Leatherman classic that I got when I was a crewchief, but since some little @#%$* here at the college made off with my old one, I have to make due.

I wanted the Leatherman with the cap-crimper in the jaws, then I realized "Ninness, you're never gonna be priming any demolition charges, so what do you need that crap for?"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

♠SARKID♠

I use a leatherman Pulse.  Its a retired line and they don't sell them anymore but I've always liked this multi tool.  The locks are a little hard to operate until you get the hang of them but once you do they're great.

MIKE

Quote from: NIN on August 08, 2008, 08:24:48 PM
I wanted the Leatherman with the cap-crimper in the jaws, then I realized "Ninness, you're never gonna be priming any demolition charges, so what do you need that crap for?"

Then one day you'll be setting up some pyro for an ACA training event and you'll be like "[farg]."
Mike Johnston

JC004

I like this topic, but I never have been very good at picking multi-tools.  I just end up with a LIST of multi-tools that I want.   :(

sawgunner7

i use whatever gerber or SOG tool the army is issueing at the time.

bricktonfire

i got a winchester Multi-tool

Hawk200

Quote from: sawgunner7 on August 09, 2008, 05:16:41 AM
i use whatever gerber or SOG tool the army is issueing at the time.

Same here, pretty much. My state gave us a bunch of stuff for the deployment, including a Gerber with the plier tip. RFI gave us basically the same tool, except the tip is more needle nose than the first one. I carry one on my belt, the other is on my IBA.

I saw a nice Leatherman Crunch over at the PX. It's a vise grip type of tool, but folds up just like a regular Leatherman. Thinking about purchasing one. The wierdest one I've seen over there so far is a Leatherman with pruning shears. I guess someone could use it, or else they wouldn't make it.

Fireball

Whichever multi-tool you end getting, be sure to take a close look at the warranty information. I have had to replace my Gerber twice and my Leatherman Blast once. In all cases I sent the broken tool and a note back to the manufacturer and they sent me a new tool back in less than two weeks. I don't know about any other makes.
R. N. Brock, Maj, CAP
NCWG

MIKE

My brother just got a Blast for his birthday... the locking system takes some getting used to, I like my WAVE better. ;D
Mike Johnston

Pumbaa

Here's a REAL Man's multi tool!

2 LBS - $1400

The GIANT!

OK seriously.  I am digging this Leatherman 830850 Skeletool CX Multitool...