Main Menu

abus

Started by 1sgtarcherCT062, June 02, 2008, 12:19:35 AM

notaNCO forever

Aye

Quote from: Short Field on June 02, 2008, 04:27:55 PM
Dark gray works well for the "cool" factor but does nothing for Search and Rescue visibiliity.   

Thats what an orange vest is for and it probably is a little more visable than BDU's. Plus you can have an orange shirt for underneath that would help with visability well debloused. AS for the ABU's they might authorize them in a few years but I don't see everyone having them for a long time.

mikeylikey

Actually, BDU's are no longer produced and stocked by DSCP.  What are on the shelves in Navy/CG exchanges is what is left of the supply.  Granted the supply is huge, but it will only be three years before they are exhausted.

Right now there are enough ABU's to outfit every Airman.  I would predict CAP's phase in quicker than expected.  

What we no longer have are enough boots (in black of course).  Not sure but does the Coast Guard wear black boots?  If so, they are the only service left doing that then right?!?
What's up monkeys?

mikeylikey

Quote from: NCO forever on June 02, 2008, 07:41:34 PM
Aye

Thats what an orange vest is for and it probably is a little more visable than BDU's. Plus you can have an orange shirt for underneath that would help with visability well debloused. AS for the ABU's they might authorize them in a few years but I don't see everyone having them for a long time.

Where I live, unless you are standing in the middle of an open field at 12PM, orange shirts and vests do little for visibility.  I can see the orange argument for people in the cornfields of Iowa, but in the forests of Pennsylvania, good luck.   
What's up monkeys?

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 02, 2008, 07:47:51 PM
Where I live, unless you are standing in the middle of an open field at 12PM, orange shirts and vests do little for visibility.  I can see the orange argument for people in the cornfields of Iowa, but in the forests of Pennsylvania, good luck.   

Then you're just not getting the right type of oragne vest.  There are some that are very visible. It's not just the organge but the white strip that makes them reflective.   Try going to your local Police Supply Store.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on June 02, 2008, 04:25:08 PM
I didn't think CAP was authorized to shop at NAVEX for uniforms?  I am, but that is beside the point.

Its just another base exchange - can't do anything online, but we shop at Great Lakes all the time.

"That Others May Zoom"

JayT

Quote from: O-Rex on June 02, 2008, 07:29:58 PM
My dear Pet Boy Sherman:  ;D

I believe we will be auth'd ABU's shortly after the USAF mandatory date of 2011, and BDU's will not completely phase out until late the next decade.

All in agreement say "Aye."

Ayuh!
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

DC

Quote from: NCO forever on June 02, 2008, 07:41:34 PM
AS for the ABU's they might authorize them in a few years but I don't see everyone having them for a long time.
Why not?

RiverAux

Nay.  Personaly, I'm expecting the switch to be authorized sometime in the next 2 years and that BDUs will be phased out by 2012 at the latest. 

FYI, I believe CAP-USAF was asked about this at one of the national meetings and/or it was mentioned in the notes.  No formal press release or anything like that, but credible info. 

O-Rex

Quote from: RiverAux on June 02, 2008, 10:00:03 PM
BDUs will be phased out by 2012 at the latest. 

At the latest?

Short suspense, but with CAP uniforms, lately we've seen that anything can happen...

RiverAux

Just a guess on my part.  We seem to have gone with 2-3 years for phase out of other stuff.  Maybe with uniforms it will go longer.  No matter what the "final" phaseout date of BDUs is, I'm fairly confident that most CAP members who can wear them will switch pretty soon after it is approved. 

MIKE

My BDUs don't fit anymore as is.
Mike Johnston

JayT

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 02, 2008, 07:45:04 PM
Actually, BDU's are no longer produced and stocked by DSCP.  What are on the shelves in Navy/CG exchanges is what is left of the supply.  Granted the supply is huge, but it will only be three years before they are exhausted.

Right now there are enough ABU's to outfit every Airman.  I would predict CAP's phase in quicker than expected. 

What we no longer have are enough boots (in black of course).  Not sure but does the Coast Guard wear black boots?  If so, they are the only service left doing that then right?!?

If you can't find black boots, you're not looking hard enough.....
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on June 02, 2008, 10:00:03 PM
FYI, I believe CAP-USAF was asked about this at one of the national meetings and/or it was mentioned in the notes.  No formal press release or anything like that, but credible info. 

I don't doubt that for a minute, but an off-handed, informal conversation is a far-cry from authorizing a uniform spec, not to mention the fact that by 2011 we may well have different command at both NHQ and CAP-USAF.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I don't think anyone has claimed that this has been set in stone.  As has been mentioned, CAP would need to formally request it. 

O-Rex

Based on history, I daresay that CAP will be allowed to wear them.

We just need to brace ourselves for the cost: I know of alot of Cadets whose families are not exactly rolling in dough.

The killer is the boots: about $120 a pair, and I haven't seen any discount Far-East knockoffs yet.

PhoenixRisen

For those who keep mentioning grey BDU's... All I've got to say is... "Nay".  Especially for CAWG.

Most major CAWG events are held at Camp San Luis Obispo, CA (an ARNG post).  Among the units that meet there is what's called the "Grizzly Youth Academy".  It's essentially a disciplinary program for youth (who would, otherwise, be going to juvie), which is run by the ARNG.  Their uniforms:

Grey BDUs.

PA Guy

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on June 03, 2008, 10:52:49 PM
Most major CAWG events are held at Camp San Luis Obispo, CA (an ARNG post).  Among the units that meet there is what's called the "Grizzly Youth Academy".  It's essentially a disciplinary program for youth (who would, otherwise, be going to juvie), which is run by the ARNG.  Their uniforms:

Grey BDUs.

Yes, they wear grey BDUs but you might want to check some of your other facts.  Here are the entrance requirements to Grizzly Youth Academy from their website.  Emphasis mine.

Be a  United States citizen or legal resident and a resident of California
Be 16, 17, or 18 years of age on the first day of admission
A high school drop-out or at risk of dropping out (behind in credits, truancy, etc.)
Drug Free:  Students will be drug tested.  Those who fail this test will be sent home  NO EXCEPTIONS
No felony adjudications/convictions, awaiting trial, or currently in trial proceedings
Physically, mentally, and emotionally capable of completing the program
Volunteer to attend...... this is not an alternative sentencing program
Committed to making a change in their life

Now back to the topic

PhoenixRisen

My mistake.  Guess it was the product of rumors.

RiverAux

Most National Guard have such youth programs and they generally are for "troubled" youths of one kind or another.  This isn't something your local Eagle Scout is going to volunteer to go attend. 

Psicorp

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 02, 2008, 06:06:58 PM
Quote from: O-Rex on June 02, 2008, 04:35:23 PM
I've seen situations where CGEX and NAVEX contacted AAFES to see what privileges we had, and allowed accordingly.

As for the ABU issue, turn the way-back machine to the 1980's, when CAP slowly swapped green fatigues for BDU's, and expect pretty much the same throughout the next several years.

I I am not mistaken weren't fatigues still being worn by CAP members in 1991? 

Yep.  I didn't switch from fatigues to BDUs until '92.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257