Main Menu

abus

Started by 1sgtarcherCT062, June 02, 2008, 12:19:35 AM

1sgtarcherCT062

With the Airman Battle Uniform, are we going to be required to wear the green suede boots? Or are we going to stick to our black combat boots.

DC

It is presumable that we will adopt the same green boots as the Air Force.

There is already a huge thread on ABUs...

CadetProgramGuy

Sorry Mods - Have to add......

It is my hope and wish that CAP makes a move on the BDU / ACU / ABU issue soon.  That way we can move forward on this issue before BDU's become obsolete.  And yes I know they will still be made by someone else.....

JayT

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on June 02, 2008, 03:58:07 AM
Sorry Mods - Have to add......

It is my hope and wish that CAP makes a move on the BDU / ACU / ABU issue soon.  That way we can move forward on this issue before BDU's become obsolete.  And yes I know they will still be made by someone else.....

So you'd rather jump the gun?

Many of the cadets in my unit buy their uniforms from local surplus stores.........the only ABU items I've seen in them are the sand colored tee shirts, which I believe are shared with the ACU to.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Quote from: JThemann on June 02, 2008, 12:51:18 PM
So you'd rather jump the gun?

Many of the cadets in my unit buy their uniforms from local surplus stores.........the only ABU items I've seen in them are the sand colored tee shirts, which I believe are shared with the ACU to.

It's not CAP as much as it is the Air Force that would make the decision about when we are allowed to start wearing ABUs.  And when that time comes most likely it won't be an immediate phase out of the BDUs.  It will take at least a year or two to accomplish. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Cecil DP

It is the Air Forces decision as to when CAP get's to wear the ABU's. Usually when a new uniform is authorized there is a phase in period of 1-2 years before it's mandatory for all. So when All Airmen are equipped with the ABU's or at the end of the phase in. CAP may get the ok.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Eclipse

CAP has to formally request the new uniform.

To do that, they have to finalize all the questions and options regarding grade wear, patches, tape color, and which of the uniform parts we would be allowed to wear.

2010-2011 is my guess when they will be close to a design they can submit.

2015+ before we see everyone in anything different.

For the record, I'm against it.  BDU's are fine, plentiful, and fit the needs.  At the rate the majority of CAP members wear their uniforms, most of us will be retiring serviceable (if not like-new) uniforms to go to ABUs, even in 2015.  I've been in almost 9 years, and the BDU's I bought year one are still in more-than usable condition, though I've replaced them a couple times "because".

If anything we should move to a single, standard, uniform for all - the blue would be fine since we have it already, but I'd suggest a dark gray with white on gray tapes.

Corporate, so we can do with it what we want (mostly), standard so we all look the same, and appropriate to the mission.

"That Others May Zoom"

notaNCO forever

I like the idea of gray BDU's and keeping the service dress uniform (blues) to show we are still the axillary of the airforce.

Quote from: Eclipse on June 02, 2008, 02:35:13 PM
CAP has to formally request the new uniform.

To do that, they have to finalize all the questions and options regarding grade wear, patches, tape color, and which of the uniform parts we would be allowed to wear.

2010-2011 is my guess when they will be close to a design they can submit.

2015+ before we see everyone in anything different.

For the record, I'm against it.  BDU's are fine, plentiful, and fit the needs.  At the rate the majority of CAP members wear their uniforms, most of us will be retiring serviceable (if not like-new) uniforms to go to ABUs, even in 2015.  I've been in almost 9 years, and the BDU's I bought year one are still in more-than usable condition, though I've replaced them a couple times "because".

If anything we should move to a single, standard, uniform for all - the blue would be fine since we have it already, but I'd suggest a dark gray with white on gray tapes.

Corporate, so we can do with it what we want (mostly), standard so we all look the same, and appropriate to the mission.

The Air Force has already made it clear that we will be wearing the ABU.  There is no question of "if" we will.  It is a question "when".  And BDU's won't always be plentiful.  How many times have we already stated that we can't find them when we AAFES?  Heck even at some of the local Army Navy Stores I go to don't have that many BDU's in stock any more.  Soon we won't be able to find them at all.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Eclipse

Quote from: Orion Pax on June 02, 2008, 02:48:23 PM
The Air Force has already made it clear that we will be wearing the ABU.

Cite please.

Quote from: Orion Pax on June 02, 2008, 02:48:23 PM

And BDU's won't always be plentiful.  How many times have we already stated that we can't find them when we AAFES?  Heck even at some of the local Army Navy Stores I go to don't have that many BDU's in stock any more.  Soon we won't be able to find them at all.

AAFES is a supplier services which no longer wears woodland camo.  As a uniform source for CAP members its use is so small as to be statistically insignificant.

NAVEx's and other MCSS outlets still have them in LOTS of supply, as do about a gabillion other sources.
I absolutely 100% guarantee that the decision to transition to a different uniform, whatever that might be, will be made in advance of it being any significant supply issue for CAP members.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

At least lets authorize boots other than black combat?!?!
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

I didn't think CAP was authorized to shop at NAVEX for uniforms?  I am, but that is beside the point.
Mike Johnston

Short Field

Quote from: Eclipse on June 02, 2008, 02:35:13 PM

Dark gray works well for the "cool" factor but does nothing for Search and Rescue visibiliity.   
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Quote from: MIKE on June 02, 2008, 04:25:08 PM
I didn't think CAP was authorized to shop at NAVEX for uniforms?  I am, but that is beside the point.
Mike, you're right as a CAP Members we're not.  But our associations to other branches could give some those privilages.  

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

O-Rex

Quote from: Orion Pax on June 02, 2008, 04:28:30 PM
Mike, you're right as a CAP Members we're not.  But our associations to other branches could give some those privilages.  

I've seen situations where CGEX and NAVEX contacted AAFES to see what priviliges we had, and allowed accordingly.

As for the ABU issue, turn the way-back machine to the 1980's, when CAP slowly swapped green fatigues for BDU's, and expect pretty much the same throughout the next several years.

Quote from: O-Rex on June 02, 2008, 04:35:23 PM
I've seen situations where CGEX and NAVEX contacted AAFES to see what priviliges we had, and allowed accordingly.

As for the ABU issue, turn the way-back machine to the 1980's, when CAP slowly swapped green fatigues for BDU's, and expect pretty much the same throughout the next several years.

But Mr. Peabody, some of us weren't here to see that happen.   :angel: 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Short Field

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana:  Life of Reason, Reason in Common Sense, Scribner's, 1905, page 284

Just one of the reasons ACSC and AWC concentrate so much on history.

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

mikeylikey

Quote from: O-Rex on June 02, 2008, 04:35:23 PM
I've seen situations where CGEX and NAVEX contacted AAFES to see what privileges we had, and allowed accordingly.

I I am not mistaken weren't fatigues still being worn by CAP members in 1991? 
What's up monkeys?

SarDragon

True, but the swap started in the late 80s.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

O-Rex

Quote from: Orion Pax on June 02, 2008, 04:41:29 PM
But Mr. Peabody, some of us weren't here to see that happen.   :angel: 

My dear Pet Boy Sherman:  ;D

I believe we will be auth'd ABU's shortly after the USAF mandatory date of 2011, and BDU's will not completely phase out until late the next decade.

All in agreement say "Aye."