Main Menu

boonie hats

Started by 1sgtarcherCT062, June 01, 2008, 07:31:51 PM

PHall

Quote from: MIKE on June 02, 2008, 01:32:42 AM

That the Air Force has said can only be worn "in theater", i.e. in the Sand Box, only when the local commander authorizes it.

Just because the Cav Store sells it.....

lordmonar

My bad...I thought there would not be any boonies with the ABU....
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Pylon on June 02, 2008, 02:06:42 AM
Oh, my mistake.  Well that should be interesting, since it'd be identical to the proposal the AF already denied.
Not quite identical. The new proposal only allows for wearing the boonie in the field, not at bases of regular meetings, i.e. GT comes into base with boonies gets sortie'd out, no problem. GBD comes into incident base with boonie, is not getting sortie'd out, problem.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: arajca on June 02, 2008, 03:01:05 AM
Not quite identical. The new proposal only allows for wearing the boonie in the field, not at bases of regular meetings, i.e. GT comes into base with boonies gets sortie'd out, no problem. GBD comes into incident base with boonie, is not getting sortie'd out, problem.

What about flight line guys?  Don't they get sun protection too?
Another former CAP officer

Eclipse

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 02, 2008, 03:02:33 AM
What about flight line guys?  Don't they get sun protection too?

Age old argument - many FLS' don't allow hats on the flight line at all.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: arajca on June 02, 2008, 03:01:05 AM

Unless you consider the entire mission base to be "in the field".

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on June 02, 2008, 02:38:16 AM

Yep, looks like the sand box to me, complete with sand storm.

mikeylikey

Oh man I hate sand.  I can't even walk on the beach anymore.   :(
What's up monkeys?

flyerthom

Quote from: MIKE on June 02, 2008, 01:32:42 AM
snipped pics

Man, that'll hold Bass Plugs! Move over Col Blake the fishing flys got company!
TC

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Eclipse on June 02, 2008, 03:03:53 AM
Age old argument - many FLS' don't allow hats on the flight line at all.

I realize the argument has been made before.  But it seems odd that we tout the boonie hat as necessary for sun protection, but then forbid the folks who spend the most time in the sun to wear it.
Another former CAP officer

Eclipse

The argument about this being a safety issue is made all the time - I don't buy it - wear some sunscreen.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Wether you buy the safety issue or not.......

What is the argument AGAINST boonie hats?

It all comes down to looks.

Some people don't like the looks of the boonies or think that outsiders may think that we are just posers.

How many times do we argue that function is more important than form?

If you argue that we need to pull the patches off our BDUs then you must....must accept the argument that boones are in fact, a safer head gear than the patrol cap.

Just as those who argue that all flight crew MUST wear Nomex for the extra protection they provide.....you have to....have to....accept that boones should be allowed for the added protection they provide.

Dragoon

You're right - a lot of the debate IS about looks.  But if we're gonna wear uniforms, we do have to consider looks.

1.  Boonies tend to look silly.  More Gilligan than Rambo.  Young strapping men and women can pull it off.  The average CAP cadet or slightly paunchy SM cannot.

2.  Boonies tend to be associated with special ops super troopers.  That's why the kiddies wanna wear 'em.  And for some, that's reason enough not to allow them (or berets or ranger tabs or whatever).

3.  It's another step away from uniformity.  Because we all know that it will be an optional item, and some will wear  it and some won't.

When you claim to be a uniformed organization, you do need to consider both function AND form. 

If all we cared about was function, then I could wear sneakers with my green flight suit (better feel for the rudder pedals), or brown goretex hiking boots with my BDUs (sturdier, lighter and warmer than the black leather equivalents), or even wear my boonie with my service uniform if I'm gonna be outside all day.

Form does matter.  So does function.  The best way to phrase the boonie debate is "is the additional utility worth the hit on appearance/uniformity?"  Neither automatically trumps the other.

RiverAux

QuoteIf you argue that we need to pull the patches off our BDUs then you must....must accept the argument that boones are in fact, a safer head gear than the patrol cap.
How does that make any sense?  I haven't heard anyone make a claim that the wearing, or not wearing, a wing patch is a safety issue of some type. 

Beware the safety arguement, especially in regards to flightline operations.  One can easily say that doing them at all puts people at too much risk for little benefit in many cases.  The simplest solution to preventing skin cancer caused by excesisive time in the sun on flightlines is to just not do them, which also lowers the risk of having someone's head cut off by a prop.

Dragoon

Any time someone plays the safety card, I ask the same question - how many incidents of this have been reported to National HQ?  How many lawsuits or USAF/Congressional inquiries have come down because of complaints about "unsafe procedures" releated to this?

And then the crickets chirp....

Quote from: Dragoon on June 03, 2008, 03:40:37 PM
Any time someone plays the safety card, I ask the same question - how many incidents of this have been reported to National HQ?  How many lawsuits or USAF/Congressional inquiries have come down because of complaints about "unsafe procedures" releated to this?

And then the crickets chirp....

It could be argued that the safety card is being played to be proactive so that we don't have inquires or incident reprots.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

cnitas

Well, I have had blistering sunburns working flightline for CAP as a cadet.  I did not report the burns, but it was obvious to anyone who saw my face.  :-\

I do not believe any senior ever sent up a report to national over my sunburns.

Perhaps I could get some money out of this?  Any lawyers around? 
Well, I could leave the money, but I might call my congressman to start an inquiry over the subject...but only if I get skin cancer in the next 10 years.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

Quote from: Orion Pax on June 03, 2008, 03:42:56 PM
It could be argued that the safety card is being played to be proactive so that we don't have inquires or incident reprots.

Except that its not, and we have somehow managed to get through the 90's and almost 00's without boonies or rampant sunburn.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 03, 2008, 06:24:58 PM
Except that its not, and we have somehow managed to get through the 90's and almost 00's without boonies or rampant sunburn.

And we got through the 50's with out seat belt, the 80's with out child seats and a whole host of other things we got away with before.

Not a valid argument.

The safety card is real.....to nay say it, is just as bad as those who try to use safety as a loop hole to get a neat hat.  That is all that I am saying.

If you don't like it....don't wear it.  If you are in charge don't let your subordinates wear it.  But don't take a tool away from me because you don't like my fashion sense.