So now we all have to buy alternate uniforms

Started by SSgt Rudin, May 14, 2008, 09:03:43 PM

Cecil DP

Quote from: Orion Pax on May 16, 2008, 08:13:02 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on May 16, 2008, 08:02:24 PM
Quote from: Dragoon on May 16, 2008, 06:53:21 PM
don't wear the uniform of our country when asking for handouts.  Makes some kind of sense.

They're probably don't have to come up with their own funding to pay the electricity, phone, and sewage bills for the buildings their unit uses and probably don't need to come up with money on their own to send unit members to special events.  Apples and Oranges here. 

But, if you want to go there...how about US Marine Corps Reserve members collecting toys and money while in uniform for the Toys for Tots program? 

makes sense to me. 

I was at NAS Jacksonville yesterday and had several officers in a booth soliciting money for the Navy Relief Society.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Jimbo

Wow... after reading the majority of these posts, the quickest response that I can give is: 'PERCEPTION IS REALITY'

Although all of us as CAP members know the difference, general perception is that they associate the USAF style uniforms as the US military... and don't know the difference about the devices, etc etc to know CAP vs USAF, blah blah

Being active duty in the Air Force, I know how it thinks, and nine times out of ten AFIs are based dealing with perceptions.  My unit and people do not and will never wear their uniforms at any fund raising events, and if we were to do something, we would wear our personalized unit tee-shirts...something that I would think most CAP squadrons would want to do depending on the type of activity.. think unit camaraderie and morale!

Secondly, the majority of Senior Members I see these days are starting to only purchase/acquire the CAP distinctive uniforms, and not the AF style BDUs or Blues, which then would fall direct into CAP policy and not necessarily CAP-USAF directed.

As far as the US Marine Corps, that fund raising has been specifically approved by senior leadership, and has gone through the bureaucracy and what not as an 'exception to policy (ETP)'....

I don't see why this is a big deal...I have read some postings thinking the AF should provide more funding to CAP local squadrons.  The AF barely has enough funding to take care of it's current priorities, we are in a process where we have held reduction in force boards and had to boot people out to meet budget requirements... the reason CAP is a NFP is to provide cost effective help.  CAP needs members that are committed and understand how it operates, and more importantly solely focus on the three missions.. ES, CP and AE... this is why I have remained a member after going on active duty.. because I believe, and I try not to get caught up in shenanigans, if you know what I mean.

don't wear the uniform of our country when asking for handouts.  Makes some kind of sense.

They're probably don't have to come up with their own funding to pay the electricity, phone, and sewage bills for the buildings their unit uses and probably don't need to come up with money on their own to send unit members to special events.  Apples and Oranges here. 

But, if you want to go there...how about US Marine Corps Reserve members collecting toys and money while in uniform for the Toys for Tots program? 
James Keohane, Lt Col, CAP (Maj, USAFR)
Wing Director of Cadet Programs
Chief of Curriculum/Chief Instructor, Cadet Officer School
--------------------------------------------------------
Previous Units: VA-001, VA-025, TX-023, MA-015, MA-070, MA-032
Billy Mitchell (#49097); Amelia Earhart (#12098); Gen Ira C Eaker (#1239)

Dragoon

\

Simple - that shows Marines doing good work for the community - collecting money for others, not themselves.  Good PR that might get more cooperation from locals.

It's different than asking for handouts for yourself.

Dragoon

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 17, 2008, 09:21:27 PM
I don't understand why Senior Members can not wear a CAP uniform when fundraising.  It makes no sense.  We are raising money for CAP, not the USAF. 

In all reality, the CAP days in DC (where members go try to get money from Congress) should only be attended by members wearing the POLO shirt.  That is the purpose of that day(s), to raise money for CAP right?  Double standard??

I am starting to see more and more instances of the AF saying "get out of our uniforms" to CAP.  The latest being the Air Show at Joint Base DIX-McGuire (thats the new name of the installation I just read in Army Times).

Actually, there have been several instances in past years when Wing Commanders have been specifically instructed NOT to ask for money from Congress during CAP days.

But again, lobbying Congress is a bit different than canvassing streetcorners for handouts or having bake sales....

Again, it all goes back to USAF KNOWING that CAP members in USAF dress are often mistaken for USAF members.  And, knowing that, being very touchy about where, when and how we present ourselves to the public.

I agree it ain't always the best thing for us, but it's their uniform - their rules.  I have no problem in saluting and moving out.