Main Menu

Unique safety gear requirements

Started by RiverAux, May 11, 2008, 09:29:48 PM

RiverAux

Okay, here are some safety gear requirements that have been mentioned on CAPTalk at various times that appear to be unique to their areas:
Pacific Region -- aircrews have to wear NOMEX
PA Wing -- ground teams have to wear hard hats and goggles?

Any other examples of safety gear requirements that are required either at the region or wing level that haven't been adopted nationally (please provide a link to the approved supplement documenting that requirement if it is available)? 

notaNCO forever

isuhawkeye

Iowa wing has issued hard hats to members who participate in the ES academy. 

I dont think they are currently doing it????

SAR-EMT1

I've heard some wings arm the aircrews with wet wipes, used clean their hands before going to lunch. 

>:D

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

CadetProgramGuy

However if CAP wants to become NIMS compliant, then someone has to decipher what:

"Appropriate level of PPE for working environment" Means

notaNCO forever

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on May 12, 2008, 09:47:13 AM
However if CAP wants to become NIMS compliant, then someone has to decipher what:

"Appropriate level of PPE for working environment" Means

Good luck with that.

O-Rex

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 12, 2008, 07:23:12 AM
I've heard some wings arm the aircrews with wet wipes, used clean their hands before going to lunch. 

>:D

Others require hip-boots to wade through the B.S.   ;D

jimmydeanno

Others require a tire pressure regulator to ensure people's heads don't get too big.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Duke Dillio

Hmmm, good question...

I think that Alaska wing requires firearms in their aircraft in case they go down in the wilderness.  Not too sure on that one though.  Check with someone from up there.  It might be an authorization and not a requirement...  I think they also require anti-exposure suits if they are flying in case of water bourne landing.

Some wings require an obscene amount or water be carried at all times due to high temps and what not.  Not sure if that is considered safety gear or not.

I was gonna insert a pun or two in here but I decided to stay away from those...

DNall

Life jackets/exposure suits are per CAP reg for over water. There's another thread going on that topic.

I'm personally in favor of mandatory nomex for mission flight crews - meaning excludes o-flts, prof, check rides, etc. Also mandatory either BBDU o BDU for GT.

I believe those generally meet the intent of "Appropriate level of PPE for working environment," which is agency/IC defined & varies by AO/season/conditions.

;D :D  ;D Some entertaining stuff there folks. Thanks for the pick me up.

flyerthom

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 13, 2008, 12:37:38 PM
Others require a tire pressure regulator to ensure people's heads don't get too big.

Don't forget the spelunking light ...  >:D
TC

Hawk200

Quote from: Sqn72DO on May 13, 2008, 03:32:48 PMI think that Alaska wing requires firearms in their aircraft in case they go down in the wilderness.  Not too sure on that one though.  Check with someone from up there.  It might be an authorization and not a requirement... 

Authorized, not required. At least it wasn't required when I was there.

Quote from: Sqn72DO on May 13, 2008, 03:32:48 PMI think they also require anti-exposure suits if they are flying in case of water bourne landing.

Never heard of this one.

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on May 11, 2008, 09:29:48 PM
Okay, here are some safety gear requirements that have been mentioned on CAPTalk at various times that appear to be unique to their areas:

Not any more...they just changed the 60-1 sup.  It is now encouraged but not required.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Duke Dillio

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 23, 2008, 03:37:53 AM
Quote from: Sqn72DO on May 13, 2008, 03:32:48 PMI think that Alaska wing requires firearms in their aircraft in case they go down in the wilderness.  Not too sure on that one though.  Check with someone from up there.  It might be an authorization and not a requirement... 

Authorized, not required. At least it wasn't required when I was there.

Quote from: Sqn72DO on May 13, 2008, 03:32:48 PMI think they also require anti-exposure suits if they are flying in case of water bourne landing.

Never heard of this one.
OK, like I said, these are things that I heard.  It's good to debunk myths every once in a while.

wacapgh

Quote from: lordmonar on May 23, 2008, 06:32:53 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on May 11, 2008, 09:29:48 PM

Not any more...they just changed the 60-1 sup.  It is now encouraged but not required.

According to the PCR web page, it is an ex-suppliment:

Pacific Region Supplement 1 (dated 23 APR 07) to CAPR 60-1, "CAP Flight Management", has been permanently rescinded by the Region Commander, effective 19 May 2008.

flyerthom

Quote from: Sqn72DO on May 13, 2008, 03:32:48 PM
Hmmm, good question...

I think that Alaska wing requires firearms in their aircraft in case they go down in the wilderness.  Not too sure on that one though.  Check with someone from up there.  It might be an authorization and not a requirement...  I think they also require anti-exposure suits if they are flying in case of water bourne landing.

Some wings require an obscene amount or water be carried at all times due to high temps and what not.  Not sure if that is considered safety gear or not.

I was gonna insert a pun or two in here but I decided to stay away from those...

http://www.equipped.org/ak_cnda.htm

TC