Main Menu

NESA

Started by maverik, April 27, 2008, 02:14:28 PM

maverik

Question one: What's it like at NESA? (schedule,routine, etc.)
Question two: on the NESA website where's the packing list?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Duke Dillio

Question #1:  Wait for Fedor.  He'll tell you all about it.
Question #2:  Go to http://ngsar.homestead.com/home.html and click on "Participant Information."  Then click on "2008 Policies and Procedures."  This is a word document.  Equipment list is on page 16 I think.

SJFedor

Hahaha. Wait for Fedor, that's funny.  ;D

The GSAR school (which I'm assuming you're looking to attend) has a lot different schedule and routine then the aircrew school. There's some other GSAR types on here that can tell you about how the GSAR school runs. All I know is that I was returning from the all ranks club one night, and they still had a team out movin around.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

maverik

Sounds like my kind of place.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

mamadinos

If you're going to ground team school, be sure to bring all the equipment in the GTM task guide 24- & 72-hour packs, in addition to the other stuff on the NESA list.  You WILL be tested on this.
I went to Ground Team Leader school last year.  It was a lot of hard work, but fun.  I'll be going back as staff this year.
Michelle King, 1Lt, CAP
DCS, DO, SPO, ESO
Barksdale Comp. Sq.
SWR-LA 005

maverik

the packing list won't open could some one do a quick copy and paste it here? Also what did you take to eat. I like MRE's and all but I can't eat them for a straight week.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

mamadinos

food - just bring enough for your 24- & 72-hour pack - they provide meals and MREs.
Attachment B
2008 NATIONAL GROUND SAR SCHOOL REQUIRED UNIFORMS, CLOTHING, AND EQUIPMENT

DOCUMENTATION ITEMS:
•   Current CAP membership card (should be carried at all times).
•   All other actual qualification cards, i.e. CAPF 101, CPR, 1st aid, etc. (should be carried on person at all times)
•   Tickets or other documentation needed for travel.

CLOTHING AND PERSONAL EQUIPMENT: These items should be brought in a duffel bag or large gym bag, or military style footlocker neatly packed.  Most items will stay at base camp or supplement the 24 or 72-hour packs.  I would recommend that this bag have a strong lock of some sort so that you can keep your materials secure while you are away from camp or traveling.
•   Battle Dress Uniforms (BDUs) or CAP Distinctive Field Uniforms, 2-3 sets, complete with all required name tapes and patches, cutouts, and grade insignia in accordance with CAPM 39-1 (daily uniform inspections will be conducted, and your uniforms should be clean and neat upon arrival).
•   Combat boots, at least one pair, broken in before school.
•   Blue belt w/subdued tip and buckle for wear w/ BDUs
•   Shower shoes or beach sandals.
•   Running shoes or sneakers.
•   Pajamas & robe (optional).
•   Wash cloths, towels and handkerchiefs. You need enough for one week
•   Underclothes and socks sufficient for nine days (T-shirts will be within regulation and free of local logos.  Bring extra just in case participants have limited time to do laundry. You may have to change uniforms often to avoid problems encountered in extended field exercises).
•   Tasteful bathing suit.
•   PT clothes (sweat pants or shorts and T-shirt, this is your opportunity to show off your local colors).
•   Civilian clothes (You should travel in civilian clothes as well as have a few sets for free time during the academy.  It would be a wise idea to wear some sort of CAP shirt or logo so that you can be easily recognized.)
•   Shoe polishing and sewing kits.
•   Laundry detergent (powder preferably, and take into account that you will probably need to wash your uniforms at least twice during the course.
•   Toilet kit, including: soap & toothbrush (in cases), toothpaste, razor and shaving cream (as necessary), items of feminine hygiene (as necessary), deodorant or antiperspirant, comb, shampoo, plenty of insect repellent with DEET, sunscreen, other items as necessary
(remember to bring enough to last you the duration of the activity).
•   Laundry bag. Properly marked with name and last 4 digits of your Social Security Number.
•   Sheets (twin, un-fitted white preferred), pillow case, and blanket (Optional, but recommended.  One pillow is provided for use in the barracks.)

24 HOUR GEAR: The equipment listed below should be carried in the pouches marked with an *.  The pouches marked with an * can be replaced by other forms of equipment carriers like a backpack, USAF survival vest or a Bashaw Medical Rescue vest.  Either way, students need to realize that this equipment will be worn or be within reach for the duration of the activity.  Additionally, this equipment will probably need to be put into either your existence load or your duffel bag for traveling, so pack it well.
•   Nylon rope use for Swiss seats and to tie assigned knots.  The size should be 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch in diameter and 15 ft long
•   *Pistol belt, military issue type (properly adjusted and assembled before arrival).      
•   *Suspenders or shoulder harness, to attach to pistol belt (either "Y" or "H" design).
•   *2 military magazine pouches, to attach to pistol belt.
•   *2 one-quart G.I. canteens with covers, to attach to pistol belt. (Some participants have chosen to use a Camelback or other form of collapsible canteen and cover.  This is acceptable.)
•   *Butt pack.
•   *Compass pouch.
•   Lensatic or orienteering compass (liquid filled compasses work better than air filled ones).
•   International orange reflective vest
•   Pocket knife (Swiss-army type preferred; no Rambo knives, machetes, k-bars, axes, pin knifes or switch blades).  ALL KNIVES WILL BE IAW GT TASK GUIDE (< 6" blade, 11" overall)
•   Military type anglehead or Mini-Mag® type flashlight with a red and blue lens & extra batteries.   No white lights will be allowed during night operations.
•   Personal first aid kit containing the following recommended items:
(NESA's medical staff will not give out medications or supplies to students except in emergencies, even those medications available Over-the-Counter)

Item Description   Basic Students   Adv, TL, and Staff
• List of contents with quantities   1   1
• CAP Form 60; completed   1   1
• Exam gloves; latex or latex-free   2 pair   2 pair
• Zip-lock plastic bags; 1 qt   2   2
• Scissors (on multipurpose tool acceptable)    1   1
• Band-Aids®, various sizes   6   10
• 4" X 4" Gauze pads, sterile   4   4
• 3" Roller gauze bandage   1   4
• 3" Elastic bandage Ace wrap   1   2
• Triangular bandage   1   2
• Mole skin (approx. 2" X 4" piece)   2   2
• 1" Medical tape (cloth or paper)   1 roll   1 roll
• Cotton-tipped swab sticks   2   4
• Anti-microbial swabs (Ex:  Betadine)   2   6
• Anti-microbial ointment (Ex: Betadine, Neosporin)   1 packet / tube   1 tube or 6 pkts
• Moist Towelette(s)   4   4
• Safety pins, large   2   4
• Tweezers, fine point   1   1
• Lip balm with sunscreen   1   1
• Sting-Eze   1   1
• Nail clippers & file combination   1   1
• Throat lozenges   2   2
• Antacid tablets   4   10
• Tylenol (Acetaminophen) / Motrin (Ibuprofen)   4   10
• Anti-histamine medication (Ex:  Benadryl 25 mg)   2   10
• Anti-diarrhea tablets   2   10
• Personal prescription med. (in original container)   As appropriate   As appropriate

•   Whistle on a lanyard (durable, plastic preferably).
•   Pocket note pad (3" x 5"), black pen and #2 pencil.
•   Inexpensive wristwatch.
•   Durable poncho - military preferably (with grommets for shelter construction).
•    Waterproof match container and matches (with striker) and/or magnesium striker bar (these are the only fire starters allowed).
•    50 - 100 ft. nylon line at minimum ("paracord" or "550 cord")
•   1 pair heavy, leather work gloves.
•   4 glo-sticks. red preferred
•   Signal mirror with protective case
•   Duct tape, 5-10 feet (wrapped around stick, pencil, glo-stick, etc)
•   1 roll flagging tape (also known as surveyor's tape, non-adhesive polyethylene)
•   2 field-ready meals (MREs or equivalent)
•   Blank ground interrogation forms (CAPF 106)
•   Spare pocket notebook (3" x 5").

72-HOUR GEAR: This pack will normally be left at the base camp, but will be used during longer duration activities. Be forewarned that you will be expected to walk several miles with this pack.
•   Comfortable backpack that you would be able to be carry for at least 6 miles with a full existence load (your 24-hour gear should fit into or around your 72-hour pack).
•   Sleeping bag, bedroll or poncho liner in a waterproof bag (the weather at this time of year is rather hot, but has gotten down to the 50s in during the summer nights.  Also, consider that a rapid drop in temperature can make it feel colder than it truly is).
•   Spare plastic bags to store/carry clothing during field exercises (lawn and leaf bags or contractor bags and gallon-sized zip-loc are best).
•   Entrenching tool, GI issue type, and case (optional).
•   Spare water container (empty two-liter soda bottles or Gatorade bottles work well).

INSTRUCTIONAL AND MISCELLANEOUS MATERIALS:
•   Two-inch, three-ringed binder, empty.
•   All school materials received prior to arrival. No facilities to purchase them at the school.
•   12-inch ruler.
•   Spare pens, pencils and highlighters.
•   Approximately $75 for miscellaneous expenses (laundry, extra patches, snacks from the canteen, etc.).
•   Portable calculator (advanced / team leader class and staff only).
•   Battery or wind-up alarm clock (optional, advanced / team leader class and staff only).

*Be sure to mark all clothing and equipment with name and SSN. * Pants should be marked on the inside left front waistband, and shirts should be marked on the inside left from the shirttail using a black laundry marker, write last name, last initial, and last four digits of CAPSN, followed by letters "CAP".

EXAMPLE: DESMARAIS D-1234 CAP

Items not specifically mentioned on this list may be subject to temporary confiscation (i.e. machetes, flammable materials, and junk foods) and will be returned to the owner at the end of NGSAR.  A gear inspection will be held during registration.  Anyone caught with contraband items after the gear check will be subject to discipline up to and including immediate dismissal.  If you are not sure an item is allowed, ask during gear check and avoid embarrassment or worse!
Michelle King, 1Lt, CAP
DCS, DO, SPO, ESO
Barksdale Comp. Sq.
SWR-LA 005

maverik

does this list cover Advanced Ground Team School to?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

mamadinos

The list is for all GSAR - Basic, Advanced, and Team Leader.

Also, you can find the schedules online - just click on the name of the course you are taking, and then on the task schedule.
Michelle King, 1Lt, CAP
DCS, DO, SPO, ESO
Barksdale Comp. Sq.
SWR-LA 005

maverik

Thanks and since you've been this thing that says travel in civilians. I live 30 minutes away from atterbury should I wear my uniform when I go?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

mamadinos

I'd say yes - wear your BDUs - unless you want to change as soon as you get there.
Michelle King, 1Lt, CAP
DCS, DO, SPO, ESO
Barksdale Comp. Sq.
SWR-LA 005

maverik

KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

maverik

Hold on their is no direct routine.That's good but isn't there PT every morning like most NSCA's?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

mamadinos

As far as team leader school went last year, the only PT we got was walking through the fields and woods for miles and miles, and up to the dining hall and back to the dorms.  You should ask Nicholas Horn about Basic or Advanced.
Michelle King, 1Lt, CAP
DCS, DO, SPO, ESO
Barksdale Comp. Sq.
SWR-LA 005

maverik

Okay then I thank you. Oh and is Nicholas Horn a member here?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

sarflyer

Good morning all!

Just wanted to post that registration for NESA is going to close May 15th.  So if you going back and forth about wether to go or not time to decide!

I am on staff for the ICSS so if anyone has questions, please ask!  Great schools!  You won't find better training anywhere!

Sorry for the shameless plug!
Lt. Col. Paul F. Rowen, CAP
MAWG Director of Information Technology
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

Nathan

Quote from: colorguard_rifle on April 27, 2008, 08:45:36 PM
Hold on their is no direct routine.That's good but isn't there PT every morning like most NSCA's?

How does PT advance your education about SAR?

If it doesn't, then you're likely not going to see it at NESA.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

maverik

O hh I assumed since PT gear is on the list.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

husker

No, no PT at NESA.  If you are in GSAR, you won't have the energy for it.  We do try to run a long day, especially in the Advanced school.  I hope to have the actual GSAR school schedules posted at the NESA site soon.

-Long
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

maverik

In advanced why do I need an alarm clock? Guys I'm gonna be honest this is my first NCSA since encampment.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

CASH172

Quote from: colorguard_rifle on May 12, 2008, 09:28:04 PM
In advanced why do I need an alarm clock? Guys I'm gonna be honest this is my first NCSA since encampment.

Cause no one's gonna come to wake you up.  You've gotta learn to wake yourself up. 

maverik

Okay now I'm understanding.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

Quote from: CASH172 on May 12, 2008, 10:56:18 PM

Cause no one's gonna come to wake you up.  You've gotta learn to wake yourself up. 

Wouldn't this be true for any of the schools? 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

SJFedor

Quote from: Orion Pax on May 13, 2008, 08:35:42 PM

More or less. MAS is pretty much "The van for the airport leaves at this time, be there". When you get up is up to you.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

Quote from: SJFedor on May 13, 2008, 08:38:01 PM
Quote from: Orion Pax on May 13, 2008, 08:35:42 PM

More or less. MAS is pretty much "The van for the airport leaves at this time, be there". When you get up is up to you.

Gotcha.  Can't wait to be there this summer.  One week with my head in the clouds the other pounding dirt.  Love it!

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

husker

For those that are interested, the GSAR schedules have been posted on the NESA site.  As always, they are subject to change (and probably will)
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

sarflyer

I also put up the First Responder material.
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

sarflyer

I just spoke with Mike Long and there are still slots for BGSAR.  So registration has been extended for a while.  Please sign up right away if you are thinking about this.  Those slots won't last.

NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

sarflyer

UPDATE  --  There are still openings in Basic GSAR session two and Advanced GSAR both sessions.  All other classes are full. 
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

Okay, now here's something I've been wondering.  I'm going for both weeks.  Now I know we get issued 2x NESA shirts and 1x hat.  Since I'm going for two weeks does that mean I'm issued a total of 4x shirts and 2x hats?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

sarflyer

Here is a link to photos of the damage at Camp Atterbury.  I have it on good authority that none of the areas we use were damaged.  Whew@!

http://www.pbase.com/moonandstar/campatornado
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

Nomex Maximus

I am looking at my packet and at the webiste and not finduing this - what day and time are we supposed to show up for the first session mission aircrew school???
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

SJFedor

26th between 0600 and 1400. But, confirm that with Maj. Templeton.

I'll be leaving to head up on Wednesday  >:D >:D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver