Proposal: CAP Professional Journal

Started by flyerthom, April 11, 2008, 06:22:30 AM

flyerthom

Here's something that could benefit all members of CAP. Most professions have peer reviewed professional journals. EMS has JEMS and EMS Magazine, the FD has Firehouse, Doctors have the New England Journal of Medicine and JAMA Air EMS has Air Medical Journal, the armed services all have their own journals. Shouldn't CAP have a peer reviewed professional missions journal?

Volunteer does a good job of marketing and member news. And it's a good tool to leave around the airport or office to get people looking at CAP. But it does nothing to teach members about their specialty tracks, talk about different search techniques, how to select a digital camera, photo techniques,help prep people for PD classes such as ECI 13 or SLS or even SOS.  A peer reviewed, academically referenced journal could do that.  It could be quarterly or semi annual but something that steps up to a professional level. Just because we have a rather low paycheck does not mean we should not meet professional standards. A good journal is one way to raise that bar.

Key things the journal must have:

1) Peer review: CAP and industry expert review of the proposed article prior to publication.

2) Academic referencing: the information must be verifiable prior to publication. It can't be a good ole by we've always dun it thisaway here ys is.

Advantages:
1) It will help to set a nationwide standard for basics.
2) Some specialty tracks require writing and publication.
3) Cadets who are published can use this on college entrance applications. Peer reviewed publications carry much more weight than newsletter type journals. Heck seniors can use it on resumes.
4) It may inspire some to pursue further PD.
5) It will provide newer members the benefit of a vast experience pool and enhance our mission capabilities.
6) You get to use those skills you learned writing all those term papers.

Disadvantages:

1) Now we have to write those articles.

Any thoughts?   
TC

Pylon

Most of the CAP members I've met are not of the academic type.  I imagine a peer-reviewed journal would realistically be read with zeal by few, and even fewer would write.  Furthermore, I'm not impressed with the general level of English comprehension and composition often seen throughout CAP (though this is not something exclusive to CAP). 

While the idea has merits, and a well executed project of this sort could indeed provide some additional PD resources for our members, I don't see it happening anytime soon for the reasons I've listed above.  Those are major hurdles to overcome notwithstanding the amount of time and money required to stand up a publication of this sort.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

dwb

In the late 90s, Curt LaFond (now a member of the National HQ Cadet Team) spearheaded an effort called The CAP Officer, which was almost exactly what you describe here; a journal for people who were interested in professional readings that are relevant to CAP.

It was online only, which, 10 years ago, meant that only a fraction of our membership ever heard about it.

My only concern with this effort is the size of the audience, that it would be too small to warrant publication.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: dwb on April 11, 2008, 12:50:44 PM
It was online only...

There were hard copies printed.  But is was a good resource and had some good essays/articles.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

capchiro

Being a member of many professions, I would like to point out that all of the publications referenced above are driven by professionals and I mean paid professionals.  Now, before I have to put my flamesuit on, I must mention that although we try to hold ourselves to a professional standard, we are far from being professionals and paid ones at that.  Running an adequate program requires more of my time than I have.  I do not have 3-4 hours a day or week to sit down and devote to putting together a professional submission to a professional journal.  I don't even have time to do that, or for that matter even read all of the journals for the paid professions that I am a member of in order to support my CAP habit.  Again, while being an excellent idea, I really don't think it is workable and maybe not even necessary.  It would appear that captalk either fills or could fill this void nicely.  Captalk is well read and certainly accessible.  If someone has more time than me, I am sure they could start a post on almost any "professional" component of CAP they wanted to and already do.  I come here for my enjoyment and for my enlightenment and I occasionally post if I think I can contribute.  Again, you presented a good idea, but not doable and probably most journals will soon be  a thing of the past as soon as the "ego's" get over not seeing their name in print and discover internet sites are just as good and even easier to use.   
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

O-Rex

Quote from: Pylon on April 11, 2008, 12:41:57 PM
Most of the CAP members I've met are not of the academic type.  I imagine a peer-reviewed journal would realistically be read with zeal by few, and even fewer would write.  Furthermore, I'm not impressed with the general level of English comprehension and composition often seen throughout CAP (though this is not something exclusive to CAP). 

While the idea has merits, and a well executed project of this sort could indeed provide some additional PD resources for our members, I don't see it happening anytime soon for the reasons I've listed above.  Those are major hurdles to overcome notwithstanding the amount of time and money required to stand up a publication of this sort.

I've seen a few over the years: they pretty much fall into the scenario listed above, with the added twist of a few contributing members pushing some out-of-whack agenda.

It think that CAPTALK provides a balance, and has sufficient 'adult supervision' to fill the need...

RiverAux

While I agree that it would be nice to have one (and I remember the CAP Officer), I do agree that participation would be minimal.  Just take a look at the paucity of submissions to the CAP best practices page on the NHQ site. 

In the meantime, CAPTalk is probably the best alternative, though it is difficulty to really flesh out an idea in this format.

FW

Quote from: RiverAux on April 11, 2008, 10:49:47 PM
While I agree that it would be nice to have one (and I remember the CAP Officer), I do agree that participation would be minimal.  Just take a look at the paucity of submissions to the CAP best practices page on the NHQ site. 

In the meantime, CAPTalk is probably the best alternative, though it is difficulty to really flesh out an idea in this format.

I agree, for now, CAPTalk is the best place to have a relatively peer reviewed site on all CAP topics.
Where else can we have such an active exchange of ideas and subjects brought up?  I don't know if there is enough space to write an entire article on a subject in this format.  However, one could write a small "article" and then comment on the questions or additions offered.  I think I would enjoy this.   ;)

RiverAux

You could always write a more detailed article and then attach it to a CAPTalk post.

FW

^That sounds like a great idea.  And, the abstract can be written in the post linking the entire article.

flyerthom

Quote from: FW on April 11, 2008, 11:52:10 PM
^That sounds like a great idea.  And, the abstract can be written in the post linking the entire article.

Sounds like it would work.

Thanks for reading my idea guys  :)
TC

sardak

As a possible model, look at the International SAR Alliance http://www.isaralliance.com.  Although the site looks like it wants to do a lot, all that's really there is a library of papers on SAR.  Papers get submitted whenever someone feels the urge.  There are no deadlines or rules imposed on the submitters other than the expectation of quality in the paper's content.

Many of these papers are the sources for what is taught or presented at Inland SAR School, MLPI, MLSO, etc.  The papers are "peer reviewed" although there has been discussion about how one gets to be a "peer."

Again, this is just one model, on one topic, SAR, but the concept could be expanded to all the mission and  functional areas of CAP.

Mike

ZigZag911

A good idea; do it as an e-journal; do it quarterly, or even semi-annually, at least initially; find a group of people who would be willing to do the editing.