Main Menu

New AF DF-LCS Gear

Started by Stonewall, April 07, 2008, 04:44:58 PM

Stonewall

The AF has come up with a new field gear called Defensor Fortis - Load Carrying System (DF-LCS) for those few folks who "ground pound" in the Air Force such as Security Forces, TACPs, PJs, etc.  Granted, those folks in AFSOC will continue to use their own "off the shelf" purchased gear that best fits their mission needs.

Defensor Fortis, by the way, is latin for "Defenders of the Force".  Some units have already been issued the gear while others, like everything else, will trickle down in the coming years.

I've got a set on its way to me right now to T&E (Test and Evaluate) during my upcoming annual training so I'll report back on how it works out.

Wonder how long it'll take CAP ground teams to start using this stuff.  BTW, the DF-LCS Rifleman Kit, which is the basic package, is almost $600.

It's all MOLLE/modular so you can adjust it for personal needs or that of the mission, whether you're on patrol outside the wire or standing post on around the perimeter.

Rifleman kit consists of:

Riflemen Kit
BLCS BattleLab H-Harness 1 qty
BLCS M4/M16 Single Mag Pouch (HOLDS 3) 2 qty
BLCS Single Frag Grenade Pouch 2 qty
BLCS 1 Qt. Canteen Pouch 2 qty
BLCS Adapter, Alice 1 qty
BLCS M4/M16 Single Mag Pouch (HOLDS 2)4 qty
BLCS Medic Pouch, Small 1 qty
BLCS 100oz. Hydration Pouch 1 qty
BLCS Protective Insert for CTP 1L 1 qty
BLCS Single Mag Pouch 9mm 3 qty
BLCS 4oz. Chem Spray Holder 1 qty
BLCS Baton Pouch 16/21" Baton 1 qty
BLCS MBTR Radio Pouch 1 qty
BLCS Dual Handcuff Pouch 1 qty
BLCS Utility Pouch w/fastex closure (5x3x5) 1 qty
BLCS Double Pistol Mag Pouch 9mm w/ Detloc 1 qty
BLCS Latex Glove Pouch 1 qty
BLCS Flashlight Holder, Pouch 1 qty
Serving since 1987.

Trouble

H-Harness looks like the 3 way love child of the MCLS Harness, Commonwealth PLCE webbing and a standard Molle II FLC. I like it hope it wears and works as good as it looks.

Chris Pumphrey, Capt. CAP
MD-023

(C/FO ret.)

Stonewall

Quote from: Trouble on April 07, 2008, 09:20:11 PM
H-Harness looks like the 3 way love child of the MCLS Harness, Commonwealth PLCE webbing and a standard Molle II FLC. I like it hope it wears and works as good as it looks.

Here is a better picture of the H-Harness:

Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

I think it could use a few loops...

Stonewall

Quote from: RiverAux on April 08, 2008, 02:44:46 AM
I think it could use a few loops...

What's a loop, in regards to this gear?
Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

The little nylon loops that appear to cover every square inch of the equipment.

Stonewall

Um, that's a part of the MOLLE system.  Everything is MOLLE these days.  Basically, instead of those metal ALICE clips, pouches and accessories use a heavy duty/rigid nylon securing piece that is weaved between the "loops".

Basically, you can make this

look like this

thus making all gear easily interchangeable so the end user can set it up the way the wish, and change the setup for specific missions and/or environments.
Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

No kidding...  I had thought my comment was obvious enough that I wouldn't have to go  << sarcasm >>, but maybe not. 

Stonewall

Well, you can never tell from your posts.  It's not like there's a voice to go along with the text.  You're a USCG AUX and CAP type, it isn't too far fetched to think you didn't know what MOLLE was. 
Serving since 1987.

DNall

That's a whole lotta crap. I guess I wouldn't argue, but I really got no issue with standard LBV. I do like to add a chest admin pouch to it, but otherwise it's good to go & cheap.

Stonewall

Quote from: DNall on April 08, 2008, 07:55:03 PM
That's a whole lotta crap. I guess I wouldn't argue, but I really got no issue with standard LBV. I do like to add a chest admin pouch to it, but otherwise it's good to go & cheap.

Of course, for the AF, this would be issued, so cost is not an issue.  And as far as "a whole lotta crap", obviously you only wear what you need/want to accomplish the mission.  No way you could even put half that stuff on at once.  I do like the option of having different sized and shaped pouches for different things.
Serving since 1987.

Senior

I like the modular design of the MOLLE system.  The Tan MOLLE Vest is a
Plate Carrier(Body Armor).   I do like the solid front of the Plate Carrier vs.
the Air Force Suspender Setup.  Does the AF suspender have rubber/friction pads so the rifle butt doesn't slide off?  I think the MOLLE canteen cover are way overengineered vs the old canteen cover with snaps.  If you are using the 3Liter bladder why do you need canteens?
I like the admin pouch it looks very hand especially for CAP.  ::) :o ;D
Why do they always come out with more expensive and cool new gear?
My wife is going to kill me when I start putting my MOLLE system together.

DNall

Quote from: Stonewall on April 09, 2008, 03:08:04 AM
Quote from: DNall on April 08, 2008, 07:55:03 PM

Of course, for the AF, this would be issued, so cost is not an issue.  And as far as "a whole lotta crap", obviously you only wear what you need/want to accomplish the mission.  No way you could even put half that stuff on at once.  I do like the option of having different sized and shaped pouches for different things.
I do like flexibility, but I guess I'm just a minimalist on this kind of thing. I'm used to strapping up a ruck & at that point I don't want an extra ounce to carry.

Are the IBAs they give yall not full MOLLE? What would be the point of this thing versus putting the pouches directly on the armor carrier? Or is that an SOP thing about when you're in armor... (OPSEC)

Stonewall

Quote from: DNall on April 11, 2008, 09:08:51 AMAre the IBAs they give yall not full MOLLE? What would be the point of this thing versus putting the pouches directly on the armor carrier? Or is that an SOP thing about when you're in armor... (OPSEC)

From my short experience in blue (Air Guard), I've learned quickly that there is zero standardization as far as gear goes.  When I first joined, I looked all over the internet, unit websites, base websites, and asked friends, no two squadron were the same.  In fact, my squadron currently allows 4 gear options:  cross-draw OD tac vest, standard LBE or LBV, a Tactical Tailor Modulat Assault Vest (MAV), or pretty much what you want as long as it doesn't violate safety or looks too far out there.  I personally wear an OD tac vest from Blackhawk with MOLLE webbing that looks just like our issued vests but is not a cross-draw.

I am quite the minimalist too, with gear.  Didn't used to be, but learned over the years.  I would "what if" everything and end up having a small pieces of crap strapped here and there.  Now, I'm an ammo and water guy, and still, I carry too much  because you MUST have things like a radio, flashlight, writing stuff and some sort of food.

The DF-LCS is the AF's answer to standardizaiton in gear, which is modular and converts from a "home station" set up to a deployed to the sandbox set up in a short time.  I'm sure it won't be perfect, and will change over the years, but it does look practical.  I'll let you know the real story when I get mine in a couple weeks.

As far as IBA stuff, my unit is still using the Interceptor vest, but we are either getting new vests, or these.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: Senior on April 11, 2008, 03:52:39 AM
The Tan MOLLE Vest is a Plate Carrier(Body Armor).   I do like the solid front of the Plate Carrier vs.
the Air Force Suspender Setup. 

Yes, I was just showing the plate carrier as an exaple of before and after with MOLLE webbing.  I actually carry an almost identical plate carrier (in black) like that for work as part of my "active shooter" response kit.

As for the admin pouch, I LOVE IT.  I have one on my plate carrier and one on my tac vest for the Guard.  It's so convenient to pull out  your pen/pencil, notepad, laminated reference cards, etc. without having to dig in your pockets that are underneath your gear.

In fact, you can barely see it, but here's a pic of me late last year next to the flight line.  You can see my admin pouch with my embroidered name tag and OD/IR flag stuck to my admin pouch.

Serving since 1987.

afgeo4

Hold up... this H-harness is going to be worn by deployed combat airmen? OVER THE BODY ARMOR???

That's ridiculous. Body armor has MOLLE II loops on it anyway and you can configure your load directly on it. Why would someone wear both? And if they're just going to be wearing the H-Harness while deployed then they're going to have much bigger problems than where to place which pouch.

I think this system is fine for non-deployed operations and allows easy reach into pockets and good ventilation, but it is, in my opinion, useless for deployed operations.

However, I'm just a former 2A (a/c maintainer) and not a combat airman, so maybe I'm not getting something.
GEORGE LURYE

Stonewall

I've already spoken with folks wearing this gear while deployed and have had positive comments, even over the body armor.

Like I said, I'll give some reports back on the new gear after I get a chance to test it.  So far, everything I've worn has been over the interceptor vest anyway so it won't be that big of a deal for me.  When you're around the LSA and aren't required to wear all your gear but are required to wear your IBA, it'd be nice to just throw on your IBA without all the bells and whistles.  YMMV.

Plus, while performing law enforcement duties around your home station, I don't think you'd want to be wearing your full IBA with chest plates and tactical gear, getting in and out of your patrol car/truck.  I wear standard concealable body armor underneath my BDUs/ABUs.
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

I picked up one of the Protech Super FLC's which I'm gonna try out in the desert. However, I kinda like the arrangement of this H-harness. Looks a little more comfortable when not wearing IBA, probably a little cooler in the long run.

May have to check it out when I get back, provided that you can get it piecemeal. Even a CAP groundpounder doesn't need a complete rifleman kit.

Hawk200

Had a drill last week, got to talk to a few of the base cops about the DF-LCS gear. Every one of them raved about it. Lot cooler, and far more comfortable than the tac vests they had been wearing.

May have to get a hold of one of these setups when I get back.

Stonewall

UPDATE:

I got issued my DF-LCS gear from my squadron AND I got my free set from Diamondback Tactical after I called and asked to T&E their version.

The stuff I was issued is inferior to what I expected and moreso when compared to the DBT set. 

1.  There are too many straps to cinch down, not to mention a few of them don't cinch down enough.  In fact, the front two buckles are drasn down all the way and still not snug enough for me.

2.  I can't stand low riding gear.  It's like a man-bra (some call it a bro or manzier).  I prefer a rig that goes up the front of the chest where you can put an admin pouch.  There's no good place to put a few of the most important items you need like a notepad, pen, protractor, comb, lip balm, knife, etc.  Yes, I said comb.

3.  It's too saggy.  I haven't even put a full load of gear/ammo in the thing and already it sags to the front way too much.  I've seen others on flight wearing it and it looks like a bag of ass. 

4.  It cannot serve as a dual purpose for field use and base LE use like my unit has us doing.

In my opinion, the stuff I got issued is a bad choice; and that's just in garrison.  I can't imagine how crappy it would be in the AOR.
Serving since 1987.