Main Menu

Award for SQCC

Started by SSgt Rudin, April 02, 2008, 03:17:32 AM

SSgt Rudin

My squadron's annual awards banquet is a few weeks away, and honestly our new Squadron Commander should be the SMOY, but he already said he won't accept it because he does not want to get up there and say "This years SMOY is me." Unfortunately there is not enough time to put him in for a com com. I am looking for ideas for an award to present to him. Obviously SQCC of the year is just silly, most of the time there is only one SQCC per year plus it's just a slap in the face to the former SQCC(now group Deputy Commander).  ???
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

RiverAux

If nothing else, and if he hasn't already got it yet, if he has been in command for at least a year he is due the Command Service Ribbon. 

Make sure you put him in for a Wing senior member of the year award or squadron commander award if they have one. 

CASH172

Maybe a small amount could be used to get a custom-made challenge coin.  It's a nice little memento. 

Eclipse

One of my units has taken to making very nice shadow boxes with the unit coin, an enamel CAP seal, and
a brass plaque with the award reasoning.

My previous unit gave me a challenge coin holder, CAP coffee mug, and the band of brothers boxed set as a thank you at a banquet, the BoB, especially was greatly appreciated for all it represented from them.

As to the Comm Comm, there's no such thing as "too close to an event", write the narrative and get on the phone.

A wing CC could approve it over the phone, you read the narrative at the banquet, award him the mini-medal or ribbon and
catch up on the cert later.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

The Commander shouldn't be the emcee, he should be the guy on the floor shaking hands and smiling for the camera.  The Senior Deputy, the PAO, or even a former commander should be the emcee, then you also have the opportunity to suprise your commander with an award he doesn't know about...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

lordmonar

One of the few times I am in complete agreement with Eclipse (what's that I hear? Is that the Four Horsemen?).

Write the 120 and get it to wing.....and call the wing king up and tell him its coming.  It's one stop shopping for the Commander's Commendation.  You just have to exert yourself and move it along.

We got six members awarded their lifesaving and find ribbons in less than 30 minutes (the wing king was right there....and someone had a box full of ribbons in their car).   We typed up just one 120 and he said...that's good....then after the fact we got all the paper work straighted out.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Pylon

If you fail at getting the CommComm, an engraved plaque or glass award from the local trophy shop is never unappreciated.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

CAPOfficer

Well, if you go strictly by the regulations, he cannot recommend his commander for an award for service as such.

CAPR 39-3, paragraph 10. Procedures for Recommending Decorations, gives the following guidance; a. Who May Initiate Recommendations.  Any CAP member having knowledge of an act or service meriting recognition may initiate a recommendation for an award, except that awards concerning commanders must be initiated at a higher command level or by the appointing authority for NEC members.  (Italic emphasis is mine.)

Naturally, this paragraph doesn't restrict any member from recommending their commander for an act of valor or lifesaving.

Eclipse

Yes, you're correct, so you >suggest<, and then the Group CC or Wing CC is the name on the actual 120.

Hint:  A pre-prepped 120 with signature blanks will flow faster than asking them to do it for you at the last minute.

You can pass the text of the narrative back and forth (if necessary) through email and shoot it up.

"That Others May Zoom"

DrDave

Some form of framed aviation artwork with all of the squadron member's signatures around the matte board always works nicely. 

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: Al Sayre on April 02, 2008, 11:12:20 AM
The Commander shouldn't be the emcee, he should be the guy on the floor shaking hands and smiling for the camera.  The Senior Deputy, the PAO, or even a former commander should be the emcee, then you also have the opportunity to suprise your commander with an award he doesn't know about...

I agree but he doesn't and he's the commander. But I did convince him that during award presentation he needs to be the one giving them and I will read it.

And thank you to all the suggestions, I'm writing the 120 now and will be e-mailing it to the group CC tonight.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP