Main Menu

PD Question

Started by Fifinella, March 27, 2008, 06:57:45 PM

Fifinella

For you PD gurus...

PD Master level checklist (CAPP 204) requires one to "plan, coordinate, and implement an Instructor Training Course".  Can't find any more data on this course.  I suspect it no longer exists.  Can you tell me if this is still a requirement to complete Master, or whether it is another example of an outdated document?

Many thanks.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Fifinella on March 27, 2008, 06:57:45 PM
For you PD gurus...

PD Master level checklist (CAPP 204) requires one to "plan, coordinate, and implement an Instructor Training Course".  Can't find any more data on this course.  I suspect it no longer exists.  Can you tell me if this is still a requirement to complete Master, or whether it is another example of an outdated document?

Many thanks.

It's still a requirement, but there isn't any specific "instructor training course" that needs to be taught.  TLC is probably the closest thing to an actual "Instructor training course" that CAP has.  That's what I used to satisfy the requirement for my master PD rating.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davedove

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 27, 2008, 07:01:31 PM
For you PD gurus...

Many thanks.

It's still a requirement, but there isn't any specific "instructor training course" that needs to be taught.  TLC is probably the closest thing to an actual "Instructor training course" that CAP has.  That's what I used to satisfy the requirement for my master PD rating.

That's good to know, since I'm going to need to do that before too long myself. ;D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

flyguync

I asked the same question a few years back (@ 2005 ish) on knowledge base and Mark stated something to the effect that the Instructor requirement never happened other than on paper. So coming forward to 2008 it may be a good idea to ask him the same question for another response.

Another wonderful reason things bog down in CAP.

JC004

the instructor program was being developed by national with a limited field testing program.  It was based on the AF instructor program.  It sat for a while, but didn't they say something about it becoming available soon? 

CAP_truth

When this requirement came up for my master rating. I spoke to national headquarters and was informed that because the course material is no longer available that requirement is not needed for the master rating. National headquarters was also beta testing the CAP instructor's course but again dropped it at this time.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

Al Sayre

Another option is to set up an ICS Train the Trainer course for some of the folks in your group or wing.  The ES types are going to need the ICS stuff anyway, and it doesn't say what "Instructor Training Course" or that you have to teach it...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Camas

For you PD gurus...

I suspect it no longer exists.  Can you tell me if this is still a requirement to complete Master, or whether it is another example of an outdated document?
I met with the Chairman of the National Professional Development Committee some time ago and asked that same question.  In so many words she said not to worry about it.  Her name  -  Col Amy Courter.

lordmonar

While I think using the TLC would be a good substitute...it is not one everyone can use...because you are expected to have a senior level CP rating to teach that course and not all PD guys are also CP guys.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

chiles

And isn't the idea to teach someone how to teach someone? (edit: and by that I mean teach other senior members how to teach PD courses)
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

IceNine

I set up a class that I taught in my group, and taught the PDO's in the group how to properly teach the Level I information. 

It was a 1 day course, and I asked the wing PDO for his blessing he approved.

Just another option
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Fifinella

Thanks for all the input.  :)
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

SAR-EMT1

Does anyone know if the AF instructor program is open to CAP enrollment?
If it is, how would I proceed?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

dwb

There is a CAP instructor course in the course listing on the Air University web site that I log in to for SOS.

I didn't sign up for it, but it does exist, and you access it through the same web site you use for SOS (and a host of other AU courses).

SarDragon

Quote from: dwb on April 06, 2008, 04:51:05 PM
There is a CAP instructor course in the course listing on the Air University web site that I log in to for SOS.

I didn't sign up for it, but it does exist, and you access it through the same web site you use for SOS (and a host of other AU courses).

I couldn't find it. Even did a site search on the AFIADL site. Also searched the Air University Catalog.

FWIW, learning to teach via correspondence course is, to me, a wasted effort. There needs to be some practical work associated with the material in order to adequately prepare someone for teaching.

You can have someone who can get 100% grades on written tests who can't teach his/her way out of a wet paper bag. Some folks just don't have what it takes. The Navy instructor school I went to typically washed out 20% of each class due to unsuitability.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

Quote from: dwb on April 06, 2008, 04:51:05 PM

Having beta tested the course, it was a waste. No practical exercises at all. Just read and regurgitate. If they instituted practical work with it, it may be useful but doing so would add time to the course and add work to whoever is running the program.