Main Menu

NESA '06 Announced

Started by Horn229, October 01, 2005, 10:00:11 AM

Horn229

Just got this in an e-mail from Maj Brockman.

National Ground Search and Rescue School
Team Leader Course Dates:  30 July to 5 August 2006
Basic Course Dates:  23 to 29 July 2006 and 30 July to 5 August 2006
Advanced Course Dates:  23 to 29 July 2006 and 30 July to 5 August 2006
Wilderness First Responder Course Dates: 23 to 29 July 2006
Fee:  $155

Mission Base Staff School
Basic Course Dates:  23 to 29 July 2006
Advanced Course Dates:  30 July to 5 August 2006

Mission Aircrew School
Mission Observer Track & Mission Pilot Track Dates:   29 July to 5
August 2006
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

PACAPSM

OK, where, when, and what times?

And, Thanks!!!

Horn229

Where - Camp Atterbury, about 35 miles south of Indianapolis, IN.
When - Dates of listed above
Time - Tends to vary, will be sent out in the welcome packets.  :)

Horn229

Got this in an e-mail yesterday from the NESA e-mail list.

QuoteAs promised, the NESA Registration is open today. On our main page at: http://www.homestead.com/ngsar/home.html there is a button that will take you into the 2006 Online application called "REGISTER FOR 2006 NESA" at the bottom of the page and the participant information page has been updated with the 2006 Release Forms as well. And so it begins.

A link to post your transportation information will be posted in the next week or so so that all participants and staff can post or update the travel information directly to the database.

The staff biography database will also be updated in the next week or so for those applying for staff

Happy Holidays and we look forward to working with you again in 2006.

John D.

JOHN W. DESMARAIS, Sr., Lt Col, CAP
Deputy Director, Ops Support & Homeland Security
Civil Air Patrol National Headquarters

Voice: 334-953-4228
DSN: 493-4228
Fax: 800-555-7902
Ops Center: 888-211-1812
E-mail: jdesmarais@cap.gov

DeputyDog

Can anyone give me a typical schedule of a day at the Mission Base Staff School- Basic? Also, any advice from anyone about the course?

Horn229

Quote from: DeputyDog on July 06, 2006, 12:38:14 PM
Can anyone give me a typical schedule of a day at the Mission Base Staff School- Basic? Also, any advice from anyone about the course?

Wake up
Breakfast
Classes
Lunch
Classes
Dinner
A Class or two
Free time
Sleep

Repeat for the next 3 days. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights there is Canteen time, so you can be there if you choose, during your free time.

*waits for "What's canteen?*

DeputyDog

Quote from: Horn229 on July 11, 2006, 03:57:38 PM

Wake up
Breakfast
Classes
Lunch
Classes
Dinner
A Class or two
Free time
Sleep

Repeat for the next 3 days. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights there is Canteen time, so you can be there if you choose, during your free time.

*waits for "What's canteen?*
Thank you! I'll bite...."What's 'Canteen'"?
What time is wake up (I am getting old...)?

MIKE

Quote from: Merriam-Webster Online DictionaryMain Entry: can·teen
Pronunciation: kan-'tEn
Function: noun
Etymology: French cantine bottle case, sutler's shop, from Italian cantina wine cellar, probably from canto corner, from Latin canthus iron tire -- more at CANT
1 a : a portable chest with compartments for carrying bottles or for cooking and eating utensils b : a flask for carrying liquids (as on a hike) c : MESS KIT d British : a chest for storing flatware
2 a : a bar at a military post or camp b : a general store at a military post : EXCHANGE c : an establishment that serves as an informal social club (as for soldiers or a community's teenagers) d : a small cafeteria or snack bar
Mike Johnston

whatevah

I haven't been paying much attention to the forums lately (shame on me) so I missed this post...

MBSS is probably the easiest course at NESA.  You get more sleep than the rest of NESA (well, except when the noisy pilots keep you awake ;) ), and all of your classes are in air-conditioned rooms, away from all the smelly ground team people.  ;)   It'll get boring some of the time, because of the almost non-stop classes, but they give you breaks and stuff to keep you awake.

I'll be teaching one class each week, so I've got the schedule drafts.  :)

For the basic course, it's pretty much classes all day with a break for lunch and dinner.  after dinner it's sometimes free time, but could be a special class or table-top scenario.   You'll do several table-top missions during the week, with the last day being just the final tests and final mission.  It'll be a full week, and you'll learn a lot of stuff.  Communications, public affairs, interviewing techniques, Operational Risk Management, Critical Incident Stress Management, Organization of missions, a SAR dog demo (you'll be in the SAR dog building the entire week) and some other stuff like that. :)

I'll be doing a class on role of the Information Officer, so be sure to say hi, and tell me you saw my post here on CAPTalk. :)  I'll also stop by a few times to get some pictures.  I'll be the NESA photographer for both weeks. :angel:

oh, for advice... just bring a good notebook and an open mind, some of the information may be second nature for you, but some of it may be a little different than what you're used to.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Horn229

Quote from: MIKE on July 11, 2006, 07:33:04 PM
2 a : a bar at a military post or camp b : a general store at a military post : EXCHANGE c : an establishment that serves as an informal social club (as for soldiers or a community's teenagers) d : a small cafeteria or snack bar
[/quote]

That's actually pretty accurate for what we have. It's basically an area where you can buy soda, snacks, NESA promo items, and watch a movie. Now let me say this now, so you won't forget during GSAR. DON'T SLAM THE DOOR!

whatevah

Quote from: Horn229 on July 15, 2006, 11:01:35 AMNow let me say this now, so you won't forget during GSAR. DON'T SLAM THE DOOR!
and for goodness sakes...  if you're closing the windows because a storm is coming, don't slam them shut, either.  a kid shattered one of the windows in the NGSAR classroom building last year doing that.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Horn229

Quote from: whatevah on July 15, 2006, 11:12:34 AM
Quote from: Horn229 on July 15, 2006, 11:01:35 AMNow let me say this now, so you won't forget during GSAR. DON'T SLAM THE DOOR!
and for goodness sakes...  if you're closing the windows because a storm is coming, don't slam them shut, either.  a kid shattered one of the windows in the NGSAR classroom building last year doing that.

Ya, then some smart fellow decided to go and play with the glass, thus cutting his hand.  ::)

ladyreferee

Ok, how about a typical day for NGSAR?  What are some other important things to bring or know about this event?   Thanks!
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

whatevah

day schedule depends a little on the weather, if it's going to be bad storms all day long, you'll stay indoors for classes or completing the simple tasks.  otherwise, most of the week is a mix of classes and then going out to use the training from the class and to accomplish the requirements of the tasks.  some of the tasks require a lot of time in the field.   you'll get 3 meals a day, if you're lucky all 3 will be in the chow hall, but some might be bag lunch or something out in the field.

also, they try to have a least one overnight stay in the field, using shelters and such.  if the weather is bad, they'll bring everybody back for safety (a lot of lightning in the storms out there, lighting + trees + tent = not fun).  so, you might get "lucky" and sleep in the barracks all week.

the packing list is pretty good, and you'll need to have everything listed in the gear requirements in the task book.  an extra camelback is usually a good idea, and bug spray is also highly recommended.  last year, they did aerial sprays for the bugs, but the chiggers didn't seem to be affected, and those things are nasty.  so bring some good chigger spray!
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Horn229

Quote from: ladyreferee on July 16, 2006, 12:27:47 AM
Ok, how about a typical day for NGSAR?  What are some other important things to bring or know about this event?   Thanks!

A typical day. Hmm. Sunday and Monday are spent getting the classroom stuff done and out of the way, basically it's all of the here's what you do inthe field, here's what you do if you get lost, and here's how to wear/pack your gear. Tuesday through Thursday are the field days (Electronic DF, Land Nav, Search Lines/Missing Person training), these three days we are in the field for the majority of the day. Tuesday and Wednesday nights, are also spent sleeping in the field.

Friday morning is spent getting the remaining tasks signed off, and for those that didn't pass DF/Land Nav on Tuesday or Wednesday get a few hours to retry. Immediately following lunch everyone gets ready for the Final Exercise, then 3-4 hours are spent doing a final mission. The next morning is Graduation.

So there really isn't a "normal" day, there's something differrent going on all the time. We also usually break up the school into two groups, so that we can rotate everyone through everything. Such as Teams 1-4 do DF the first day, while teams 5-8 are doing Land Nav, then the ext day they switch.

What to bring? Everything on the packing list, and everything listed in task O-0001 in the GT Taskguide. Extra items? spare boots that are comfortable and broken in, extra BDU pants, some money for the stuff you forget to bring, beef jerky or some sort of snack to have while in the field, and whatever else you feel like carrying. Remember, whatever is in your gear (24 and 72) you need to be able to carry for several miles with ease.

Over the last 7 years at GSAR, I've had to carry all my gear for several miles before reaching the campsite, and there have been years where I had to throw my gear in the back of a truck then jump on a bus and be driven to the campsite. I've also had cadets drop from heat exaution while carrying all their gear, and I've had cadets drop simple because their body required more water than the average person.

One of the stupidest things you can do at GSAR is not drink water. When in the field, depending on how hot it is, you should be going through 2 quarts of water every hour. Out of 6 teams that I've been in charge of (roughly 50 people) I've had two go down for heat related injuries. That ain't fun for the cadet who dropped nor for me, as they are losing valuable training time, and I have to deal with the commandant explaining why I wasn't makig sure my people were drinking enough.

Ok, enough of my ranting for now. So ya, extra boots/BDU pants, munchies, and drink WATER!

Horn229

Quote from: whatevah on July 16, 2006, 12:40:34 AM(a lot of lightning in the storms out there, lighting + trees + tent = not fun).

Who uses a tent? Spare poncho and paracord, baby. >:D

Matt

Quote from: Horn229 on July 16, 2006, 02:23:30 AM
Quote from: whatevah on July 16, 2006, 12:40:34 AM(a lot of lightning in the storms out there, lighting + trees + tent = not fun).

Who uses a tent? Spare poncho and paracord, baby. >:D

Bah... MUD HUT!!!!
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

whatevah

well, I met DeputyDog a few hours ago when he signed in, but didn't know who it was until a few minutes ago.  gotta love wireless networks. :)  the base network is as slow as molasses during the day, though.  About the same at night, too.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Pylon

Quote from: whatevah on July 24, 2006, 02:15:26 AM
well, I met DeputyDog a few hours ago when he signed in, but didn't know who it was until a few minutes ago.  gotta love wireless networks. :)  the base network is as slow as molasses during the day, though.  About the same at night, too.

We're going to start having CAPTalk get-togethers at major CAP events now, haha.  :)

Enjoy NESA!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Nathan

I'll be at NESA, for those of you who don't know me from CadetStuff...
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on July 24, 2006, 03:48:54 AM
We're going to start having CAPTalk get-togethers at major CAP events now, haha.  :)

NER Conference '05 didn't count?
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on July 24, 2006, 02:40:42 PM
Quote from: Pylon on July 24, 2006, 03:48:54 AM

NER Conference '05 didn't count?

True.  I guess we've already started!  We're big time now...   8)

whatevah

well, I'm home...  well, actually got home around 3am. :)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

DeputyDog

Quote from: whatevah on August 06, 2006, 07:57:18 PM
well, I'm home...  well, actually got home around 3am. :)
Did you like how I suddenly disappeared from NESA?  ;)

whatevah

hmm... disappeared?  I don't remember anybody leaving early.  but, then... I was running around a lot. :)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

DeputyDog

Quote from: whatevah on August 07, 2006, 02:20:04 PM
hmm... disappeared?  I don't remember anybody leaving early.  but, then... I was running around a lot. :)
I left that first Tuesday right after I met you. They wouldn't stop serving pork as the main course (they served it 5 meals in a row...its a religious dietary issue), so I was starving by the time Tuesday rolled around....so I left.

whatevah

hmm... thought for sure you were in the group photo.  sorry, 300 faces kinda blur together.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Nathan

Quote from: DeputyDog on August 07, 2006, 06:06:01 PM
I left that first Tuesday right after I met you. They wouldn't stop serving pork as the main course (they served it 5 meals in a row...its a religious dietary issue), so I was starving by the time Tuesday rolled around....so I left.

Dude, it seems a little weird that they would try to accomadate the whole diet thing. I was having difficulty with a medicine that dehydrates me VERY quickly, so they gave me a canteen to put Gatorade in... I don't see how hard it would be to figure out something else for your dietary needs...
Nathan Scalia

whatevah

the AF NCOIC with the cooks was an idiot the first week.  they removed him the second week and made somebody else the NCOIC.  food got better then :)

last year, all of the cooks were excellent, but this year... :(   the LO we had this year was pretty much worthless, too.  I was running around a lot taking pics, but I rarely saw him doing anything. I rarely even saw him.  Nathan, during your graduation mission, he was fishing the whole day in the small ponds on base.  he even put a small boat in the bed of his pickup.  (I've got pics of it!  lol)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Heather

did anyone happen to meet C/Maj. Joe and C/Capt. Adam Trujillo?
C/TSgt. Bourne, Heather
GT3, CERT, Radio Comm. certified
399th Composite Squadron

whatevah

Quote from: Heather on August 10, 2006, 11:33:25 PM
did anyone happen to meet C/Maj. Joe and C/Capt. Adam Trujillo?
yeah, quite a few people did, they were staff members ;D
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Heather

wow...were they good staff members or were they lazy? I met them at CTWG Encampment 06 and they were on staff there as well and they did a good job there. "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"-C/Maj. Joe Trujillo at Encampment support staff "gathering"...good times, good times. Any moments like that at NESA?
C/TSgt. Bourne, Heather
GT3, CERT, Radio Comm. certified
399th Composite Squadron

whatevah

any lazy staff members at NESA... aren't staff for very long :)

I was the photographer so I was bouncing around too much to closely observe any specific staff members, but they're pretty good guys :)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

DeputyDog

Quote from: Nathan on August 08, 2006, 08:35:12 PM
Quote from: DeputyDog on August 07, 2006, 06:06:01 PM

Dude, it seems a little weird that they would try to accomadate the whole diet thing. I was having difficulty with a medicine that dehydrates me VERY quickly, so they gave me a canteen to put Gatorade in... I don't see how hard it would be to figure out something else for your dietary needs...
Actually, they are required to accomodate it. Serving pork every meal for 5 times in a row is a major religious issue for me (I'm Jewish). I started complaining about it from the first meal and nothing was changed. The kicker was that at the 5th meal they did offer an alternative to pork....but the alternative had pork in it too! My needs were not addressed until after I had left (it apparently continued like that until they had the AF NCOIC of the mess hall leave a few days after I left). It is actually not hard to accomodate it...just offer me a piece a chicken as an alternative to pork.

Basically, I had paid money for food I couldn't eat.

Nathan

Seems to me like this should have been brought all the way up the chain ASAP...

I mean, I KNOW they had other foods back there. At least they could have offered you another bag of chips, or even one of the hundreds of extra MRE's lying around...
Nathan Scalia

Pylon

Quote from: Nathan on August 11, 2006, 03:13:47 PM
I mean, I KNOW they had other foods back there. At least they could have offered you another bag of chips, or even one of the hundreds of extra MRE's lying around...

A bag of chips or an MRE when you're paying for hot meals like everyone else?  Riiiiiiight. 

They should have accomodated any dietary needs on the first day, whether for health or religious reasons.

Nathan

Hell, I would have taken an MRE over eggs and bacon every morning... ;D

Of course he should have gotten the same sort of food, but if they made a fubar mistake like this, it should have been able to hold him until they were able to get real food in there (at a maximum of two days).
Nathan Scalia

DeputyDog

Quote from: Nathan on August 11, 2006, 03:13:47 PM
Seems to me like this should have been brought all the way up the chain ASAP...
Oh it was. The School Commandant had apparently talked to the AF NCOIC about it immediately, and that didn't work. The National EEO was not happy about it...he was able to get me a partial refund.  ;)

mawr

DeputyDog, do you keep Kosher?  I ask as I'm aquainted with Lt Col Joel Katz of the SER and he travels with his own food when he cannot be assured of kosher meals.

As a christian, I find all this interesting as I try to broaden my horizons.
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

DeputyDog

Quote from: mawr on August 11, 2006, 11:11:05 PM
DeputyDog, do you keep Kosher?  I ask as I'm aquainted with Lt Col Joel Katz of the SER and he travels with his own food when he cannot be assured of kosher meals.

As a christian, I find all this interesting as I try to broaden my horizons.
As much as I possibly can. There are alot of rules regarding Kosher preparation that would be unfeasible to do for one or two people at a large activity (separate prep dishes, washing the dishes twice, etc). I generally just do not eat pork when I am away from home (it is the one thing I am absolutely unmoveable on). However, if a Kosher restaurant is nearby, I do eat there instead of somewhere else.

Now my wife is a Baptist. So when she eats pork, I tell her she has to brush her teeth twice before she can kiss me.  ;D

mawr

Quote from: DeputyDog on August 12, 2006, 04:24:26 AM
Now my wife is a Baptist. So when she eats pork, I tell her she has to brush her teeth twice before she can kiss me.  ;D

;D ;D ;D
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

mawr

My wife is Baptist as well and I tell her the same thing when she drinks buttermilk. :D
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

Horn229

I'm finding this really odd, and there's no reason for you not being taken care of especially for breakfast. In the logistics area, there were at least 8 cases of unopened breakfast meals (not MRE's, actually breakfast meals), with each case containing 16 meals. Ain't it great when the left hand talks to the right? ::)

Nathan

Quote from: Horn229 on August 13, 2006, 12:42:18 AM
I'm finding this really odd, and there's no reason for you not being taken care of especially for breakfast. In the logistics area, there were at least 8 cases of unopened breakfast meals (not MRE's, actually breakfast meals), with each case containing 16 meals. Ain't it great when the left hand talks to the right? ::)

Those were good!

I could have certainly substituted one of those for bacon and eggs every morning.
Nathan Scalia